Do you Sous-Vide?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The FDA BPA ban for baby bottles and sippy cups was requested by the chemical companies themselves to try and quell the uninformed publics fear of BPA.

BPA is still in many products that store and convey foods and drinks we ingest.

Hundreds of studies show no documented endocrine disruption associated with BPA in any normal exposure amount.

"FDA's current perspective,*based on its most recent safety assessment, is that BPA is safe at the current levels occurring in foods. Based on FDA's ongoing safety review of scientific evidence, the available information continues to support the safety of BPA for the currently approved uses in food containers and packaging."

The BPA scare is just another case of dishonest activism; where scare tactics manipulate the un- or mis- informed because the precautionary principle will always be bent in the favour of the activist.

Agenda driven activism will only cease to exist when people inform themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
RT You have been calling me names on this forum for several years and have on many ocasions gone out of your way to contradict and ridicule me no matter how insignificant the issue.

You are not nearly as funny as you think you are and have on many occasions spoiled this forum for me and I'm sure a few other people you have targeted in your mean spirited ways.

For some reason these last two cheap shots have broken the camels back, I'm tired of it and this is my last post on Trawler Forum.

DIRT FREE over and out.

I certainly hope this is a simple over reaction and not true!

Your posts are always informative and your wife's blog entertaining.

I for one, ask you to please reconsider retracting your valued opinion and experience from this forum.

I certainly hope this is a simple over reaction and not true!

Your posts are always informative and your wife's blog entertaining.

I for one, ask you to please reconsider retracting your valued opinion and experience from this forum.

Yeah, me too. I don't have a dog in this hunt, but why not just use "ignore" and keep goin' down the road?

Just askin'.

Interesting concept. How do you maintain an accurate 130*F? Special electric appliance?

EDIT: Just saw post 4. Will google "Joule sous vide cooker"

Same question. Also, will google "Joule sous vide cooker". Sounds simple, clean way to cook and yummy! Thanks for thread and posts.

Same question. Also, will google "Joule sous vide cooker". Sounds simple, clean way to cook and yummy! Thanks for thread and posts.

Wifey B: Next we'll be talking about Molecular Cuisine. :rofl:

RT You have been calling me names on this forum for several years and have on many ocasions gone out of your way to contradict and ridicule me no matter how insignificant the issue.

You are not nearly as funny as you think you are and have on many occasions spoiled this forum for me and I'm sure a few other people you have targeted in your mean spirited ways.

For some reason these last two cheap shots have broken the camels back, I'm tired of it and this is my last post on Trawler Forum.

DIRT FREE over and out.

boatpoker - I ask you to reconsider. People like you make this Forum work, great! Please stay! Thanks, Art

Wifey B: Next we'll be talking about Molecular Cuisine. :rofl:

I have no problem with a mole. Years past they were titled "beauty marks". Boy, can humans ever spin things! :rofl:

Now back to the program!

Since the tin hat comment from the clown down under I decided to drop out of this interesting thread for a few days. In typical TF fashion, it's (the thread) gone south in another direction as well.

It's my own fault, and I shouldn't have asked that question, and I do apologize. The souls-vise method sounds really interesting, and it seems we've probably enjoyed food prepared that way in restaurants and not even been aware of how are food had been prepared.

I'm compelled to add (although tomorrow I'll regret it) that my wife's concern stems from (so far, 2+ years) surviving from stage 3 colon cancer. Myself, 3+ years with CLL. So yes, if a tin hat can give us a decade or more cruising time I'll gladly wear it.

The first two devices look useful, but not sure we have any burner on any stove that will heat as low as 130°F.

All gas burners at home will simply boil whatever water is in the post, at their lowest setting -- although some burners take longer to reach boil than others. Not sure about the boat cooktop burners; I'd have to check those...

Looks like the Sunbeam unit has a settable temp. Maybe the solution...

I don't know what temps liquids get to our current crockpots...

Ummm... have to admit, I hadn't looked closely enough to see that the first two units also plug in to AC power. Thought they were just thermometers. Got it, now.

Have to admit, having a cooking device talk to me via smartphone is just... underwhelming. A comment like that'll probably awaken ol' what's-his-name's ire, but I, on the other hand, don't want to carry on conversations with inanimate devices.

Otherwise, they look pretty interesting. :)

-Chris

Ummm... have to admit, I hadn't looked closely enough to see that the first two units also plug in to AC power. Thought they were just thermometers. Got it, now.

Have to admit, having a cooking device talk to me via smartphone is just... underwhelming. A comment like that'll probably awaken ol' what's-his-name's ire, but I, on the other hand, don't want to carry on conversations with inanimate devices.

Otherwise, they look pretty interesting. :)

-Chris

For the record, we never downloaded the app! We just glance at the very visible display once in a while...
Bruce

Since the tin hat comment from the clown down under I decided to drop out of this interesting thread for a few days. In typical TF fashion, it's (the thread) gone south in another direction as well.

It's my own fault, and I shouldn't have asked that question, and I do apologize. The souls-vise method sounds really interesting, and it seems we've probably enjoyed food prepared that way in restaurants and not even been aware of how are food had been prepared.

I'm compelled to add (although tomorrow I'll regret it) that my wife's concern stems from (so far, 2+ years) surviving from stage 3 colon cancer. Myself, 3+ years with CLL. So yes, if a tin hat can give us a decade or more cruising time I'll gladly wear it.

Dave and Suzie - You guys take care! - Art

I think your question was quite valid and any discussion of sous vide without a discussion of plastic is incomplete. At the very least, recommendations as to the selection of bags and temperatures are needed. To be concerned about potential carcinogens is appropriate. The world, and this forum, are littered with people who have suffered at the hands of risks that weren't known decades ago. No one can tell you there's no risk because we don't have that information. The most known is that we don't currently have evidence of a risk.

Now I've figured out that every method of cooking has potential risks but so does eating raw food and that leaves us not eating which also has a major risk. We need to understand what we can. Is there risk to grilling with charcoal? What about gas? Do electric grills reduce it? What about in a pan on a stove top and does it change depending on oils? What about microwaving? And now evidence eating too much as in obesity increases risk. A lot of "I don't know's". What we do know is that many forms of cancer are increasing but a good part of that is just living longer, although seems we've reversed that trend in the US now.

No one can tell you there's no risk because we don't have that information.

I sous vide alot, but only after learning what I could about the risks. The biggest identified risk is PBA. "PBA-free" bags are available, and I use only US made name-brand bags. I also do 90% of my sous vide cooking at relatively low temperatures (steak at 123, fish and shellfish at not more than 145). My rudimentary understanding of chemistry tells me that more chemicals leach out of a plastic water bottle and into its water during the 2-3 weeks between bottling and consumption, even if stored at an average temperature of 70 degrees, than leach out of a sous vide bag during a couple hours of cooking at 145. In our world, it is about impossible to avoid exposure to plastic, so I decided that the incremental risk of sous vide was justified by its benefit.

As an aside, I would recommend sous vide to anyone that wants a perfect poached egg, especially since the egg comes in its own 1000% natural packaging.

As an aside, I would recommend sous vide to anyone that wants a perfect poached egg, especially since the egg comes in its own 1000% natural packaging.

See, now that's where you lose me a bit. I can have a perfect poached egg other ways. Much like steak and some of the other items, which I'm very happy cooked other ways that are much less time consuming. Now, there are some dishes I can see the sous vide would be a better way. These are many of the same dishes that are often done in slow cookers. I do note also that with sous vide you're doing reverse searing on your steaks and one of the hot topics among chefs is regular searing vs. reverse.

I guess as someone who has tried so many kitchen appliances, then one more to try something new is tempting but unneeded as well. Tonight's dinner is going to be sous vide, not cooked by either of us, but someone who knows what they're doing. We shall see.

See, now that's where you lose me a bit. I can have a perfect poached egg other ways. Much like steak and some of the other items, which I'm very happy cooked other ways that are much less time consuming. Now, there are some dishes I can see the sous vide would be a better way. These are many of the same dishes that are often done in slow cookers. I do note also that with sous vide you're doing reverse searing on your steaks and one of the hot topics among chefs is regular searing vs. reverse.

I guess as someone who has tried so many kitchen appliances, then one more to try something new is tempting but unneeded as well. Tonight's dinner is going to be sous vide, not cooked by either of us, but someone who knows what they're doing. We shall see.

I don't eat poached eggs and don't have a professional chef (but concede that having a chef prepare the food is the way to go). My daughters love poached eggs, but from what I can see there is some lack of consistency. With sous vide, there is 100% consistency -- every time they are exactly the way you want them, and although it takes longer, the cooking process is not time sensitive -- the serving window is more than an hour. So, if you were so inclined, you could set it up to turn on with the coffee maker so that everything is ready when you want it in the morning. But a chef would be easier.

As for steak, which I have mastered, there is NO WAY besides sous vide to BBQ a thick steak that is seared/charred (carcenogic, I know) on the outside, but rare throughout the inside. That is because BBQ'ing cooks at a high temperature (if "low" temp cooking is close to 200 degrees, which will turn a steak to well done shoe leather), and by the time that high temp has worked its way to the middle, the outer parts of the steak are overdone. With sous vide, the entire steak is first cooked to the finish temp (say 123 degrees -- nice and rare, but cooked), then the steak is put on a high temp BBQ just long enough to sear the outsides. An advanced technique includes pre-smoking the meat. The other benefit of sous vide that may not be possible with other methods is flavor infusion and tenderness. Cooking for a long time at 123 degrees (say 6-8 hours) will tenderize the meat in a way not possible with any other method. It is just an opinion (mine and many others) that the flavor infusion is better with sous vide, too.

As long as we are talking about possible long term bad effects of cooking methodology, there is now a proven link between aluminum and Alzheimer's Disease. So if you are putting on your tin foil hats, check that it's not really aluminum foil and that your brain isn't getting stupefied.

As long as we are talking about possible long term bad effects of cooking methodology, there is now a proven link between aluminum and Alzheimer's Disease. So if you are putting on your tin foil hats, check that it's not really aluminum foil and that your brain isn't getting stupefied.

That suspicion is not new, but I understand that the consensus is that it is not a risk factor.

As for steak, which I have mastered, there is NO WAY besides sous vide to BBQ a thick steak that is seared/charred (carcenogic, I know) on the outside, but rare throughout the inside. That is because BBQ'ing cooks at a high temperature (if "low" temp cooking is close to 200 degrees, which will turn a steak to well done shoe leather), and by the time that high temp has worked its way to the middle, the outer parts of the steak are overdone. With sous vide, the entire steak is first cooked to the finish temp (say 123 degrees -- nice and rare, but cooked), then the steak is put on a high temp BBQ just long enough to sear the outsides. An advanced technique includes pre-smoking the meat. The other benefit of sous vide that may not be possible with other methods is flavor infusion and tenderness. Cooking for a long time at 123 degrees (say 6-8 hours) will tenderize the meat in a way not possible with any other method. It is just an opinion (mine and many others) that the flavor infusion is better with sous vide, too.

So are you stating that no restaurant cooks a steak equal to your sous vide? I ask because restaurants don't sous vide steaks.

So are you stating that no restaurant cooks a steak equal to your sous vide? I ask because restaurants don't sous vide steaks.

I'm taking a SWAG here, but I'm guessing that the 800 - 1,200 degree ovens used in some restaurants give them cooking methods not available to everyone.

I was also led to believe that restaurants do often use sous vide for steaks, among other items. But I'm not in the restaurant business and, honestly, I do know enough to not want to look into their kitchens! :)

Honestly, I rarely order a steak at a restaurant because mine are almost always better. Every once in a while, if I am at a steak house I will give it a shot. Most recently at the highly renowned Delmonico's (Emiril Lagasse) in the Palazzo. It was really good, but mostly because of the sauce/marinade. It was rare on the inside, as I requested, but not nicely seared on the outside. And the cut wasn't very thick. I would have preferred one of my steaks.

I am very surprised to learn that restaurants don't sous vide steaks. Are you sure that is true? I have it on very good authority that at least some of Lagasse's restaurants use sous vide for some items, or at least used to. It is pretty hard to know why those high-end guys do.

I'm taking a SWAG here, but I'm guessing that the 800 - 1,200 degree ovens used in some restaurants give them cooking methods not available to everyone.

I was also led to believe that restaurants do often use sous vide for steaks, among other items. But I'm not in the restaurant business and, honestly, I do know enough to not want to look into their kitchens! :)

You are correct. Now, I don't think that equipment necessarily gives them better results. I feel like on a gas grill or even electric grill that given the same quality meat and same methods of preparation I can achieve the same, just not as quickly.

Different restaurants do different things but most do use infrared broilers now, simply for speed. However, there are still some old time chefs who use the old grill or pan and then oven routine on thick steaks.

I find it all interesting that we do cook steaks at so many different temperatures and I'm not sure one way beats another. I was told you can never grill as well on an electric grill as gas, but I feel like I get just as good on the electric grill on the boat as I do on the gas grill at home.

I will try sous vide on steaks just to see.

I'm not that great a cook, but an experienced griller. I am not as good on roasts, but that's where I see sous vide as potentially good. I've generally found slower to be better on many types of roasts. That's like using convection gives me a shorter cooking time but I'm not sure the roast is as good unless I also lower the temperature.

What is the most meat at a time any of you have cooked using sous vide? I'm just wondering how it adapts to a large number of people. How you would use it for 10 or 15 steaks.

I am guessing lamb and pork would be excellent using the sous vide method.

I am very surprised to learn that restaurants don't sous vide steaks. Are you sure that is true? I have it on very good authority that at least some of Lagasse's restaurants use sous vide for some items, or at least used to. It is pretty hard to know why those high-end guys do.

Some do use it for steaks but few. Chipotle uses it for their meats. A lot use it for cheaper cuts of beef and for beef they're using really then to season and mix in things. There are some that use it for advance preparation of chicken. Put them all in the refrigerator then pop on the grill when ordered. Restaurants per my source who is standing beside me now are using sous vide heavily for other dishes though, especially creative dishes, and some lobster dishes and vegetables. It's just something I've never tried and been told by a bratty 21 year old just now that I need some lessons.

Restaurants use large circulators and baths but other than size appears no different than home equipment like Joule, which is what the girls went and purchased yesterday to try on the boat. Probably not a top restaurant around that doesn't use sous vide for something.

I'm receptive to these different methods, just didn't know I needed them before.

I am guessing lamb and pork would be excellent using the sous vide method.

Well, one of our sous vide dishes for tonight is Cornish Hen. The other is a tenderloin roast. This is what you get when you turn two 21 year old's loose with new toys.

Edit by Wifey B: Corrected spelling error. Added apostrophe. Hubby has been taken off to the galley for sous vide education.

They're 21 years old but I'm stuck still thinking of them as teenagers. Does that happen to any others?

Last edited:
Wifey B: Ok, lists requested of things you cook with sous vide. I went to Chefsteps and I made faces and said yuk a couple of times looking at the pictures and recipes there. On down the page is better but carrot puree doesn't do anything for me. :)

See, now that's where you lose me a bit. I can have a perfect poached egg other ways. Much like steak and some of the other items, which I'm very happy cooked other ways that are much less time consuming.

I don't eat poached eggs and don't have a professional chef (but concede that having a chef prepare the food is the way to go). My daughters love poached eggs, but from what I can see there is some lack of consistency. With sous vide, there is 100% consistency -- every time they are exactly the way you want them, and although it takes longer, the cooking process is not time sensitive -- the serving window is more than an hour. So, if you were so inclined, you could set it up to turn on with the coffee maker so that everything is ready when you want it in the morning. But a chef would be easier.

I can poach eggs in swirling water, but can't see why I'd want to do that anymore. Nor does sous-vide sound time-effective for poached eggs.

FWIW, we've got an old egg poacher pan thingy (the technical term). Small amount of water to boil in the bottom of the pan, 4 individual inserts for 4 eggs, takes about 3 minutes after the water boils. Usually perfect. Pan looks like it'd cost a buck-two-fifty at a Goodwill store... Not much tech involved, and no need to learn/practice (practice!!!) the swirling technique.

A direct comparison might be interesting...

-Chris

I can poach eggs in swirling water, but can't see why I'd want to do that anymore. Nor does sous-vide sound time-effective for poached eggs.

FWIW, we've got an old egg poacher pan thingy (the technical term). Small amount of water to boil in the bottom of the pan, 4 individual inserts for 4 eggs, takes about 3 minutes after the water boils. Usually perfect. Pan looks like it'd cost a buck-two-fifty at a Goodwill store... Not much tech involved, and no need to learn/practice (practice!!!) the swirling technique.

A direct comparison might be interesting...

-Chris

Wifey B: Ok, I know I'm going to get screamed at, but....

If I just want an egg, I can poach them just fine in the microwave. Now, if I was cooking some fancy meal or something and had to plop one on top of other stuff, it might not be pretty enough, but for just eating it tastes fine. Give me that and microwave pre-cooked bacon and sausage or Eggo Waffles with it, and that's a great breakfast if it was just hubby and me. :hide:

Wifey B: Ok, I know I'm going to get screamed at, but....

If I just want an egg, I can poach them just fine in the microwave. Now, if I was cooking some fancy meal or something and had to plop one on top of other stuff, it might not be pretty enough, but for just eating it tastes fine. Give me that and microwave pre-cooked bacon and sausage or Eggo Waffles with it, and that's a great breakfast if it was just hubby and me. :hide:

No screaming from me; didn't know it could be done in a microwave. How do you do it? Appropriately-shaped cup of some sort, nuke away?

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom