Old 06-18-2020, 09:45 PM   #1
Guru

City: Burien
Vessel Name: Intrepid
Vessel Model: North Pacific/ NP-45 Hull 10
do dogs fall off boats often?

We have two dogs. A miniature golden retriever and a shepoo. The little golden loves the water but is not interested in jumping off docks or water that she cant tell the depth.The shepoo dosnt care for water at all.
My question is. Do you guys find dogs are sure footed enough to not fall overboard? We obviously grab a railing but dog obviously cant do that.
Thoughts?
magna 6882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:53 PM   #2
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by magna 6882 View Post
Do you guys find dogs are sure footed enough to not fall overboard?
I had 2 dogs that used to cruise with us. 1 black Lab mix & 1 Laso Apsa/ Terrier mix. The lab fell over the side twice & the small dog never left the salon. He was terrified of the whole thing! We bought life preservers for both and they wore them religiously.
Old 06-18-2020, 10:23 PM   #3

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Excellent Adventure
Vessel Model: 1995 Jefferson Ker Shine 45
The smart ones only fall off once. Kinda like people.
wwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 10:29 PM   #4
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
My labs over the years have never fallen off any boat. Anchored, I have a clamp on ramp on the swim platform that allows the dogs to get aboard on their own.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 10:35 PM   #5
Guru

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: 1997 4800 Navigator
Never fallen over, however on the dock nearly lost one to the current. Luckily a friend was close and pulled the wet puppy back to the dock. Now a life preserver is worn unless in the salon.
“Try something you could fail at. We all do things that we can comfortably achieve, but rarely do we set the high bar one notch above what we think we can clear, and that’s what’s driving me on here.” Lieutenant Colonel Alastair Edward Henry Worsley MBE (4 October 1960 – 24 January 2016) Explorer
bshillam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 10:48 PM   #6
Rid

City: Powell River
I'd love to see a picture.
I have too labs and would like to set something up like that.
Chester fell between the commercial dock and the boat when I first got it. Tore my coller bone loose pulling him up (sorry, this was in reply to Lepke)
Rid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 12:34 AM   #7
Guru

City: Burien
Vessel Name: Intrepid
Vessel Model: North Pacific/ NP-45 Hull 10
We always had goldens but as we aged we found they got to heavy as they aged and needed help so we went with a genetically built golden that weights 30lbs but other then weight is all golden. Also we did get PFDs for them.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4519.jpg   IMG_5381.jpg  
magna 6882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 12:47 AM   #8
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
This is one of those questions were there is always the exception. Most dogs fallen in once and it’s usually at the dock. Some are dumb and fall in day one. Some are brave, sure footed aNd takes some strange event before they fall off the boat sitting at the dock. Dogs are much less likely to fall off once the boat is moving but still it happens on occasion. Some dogs never fall off. So there is your answer.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 12:58 AM   #9
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
We have an Australian Kelpie that is very sure footed. She had no problem running along the narrow, unprotected side deck to get to the bow.

We bought her a bigger, thicker PDF a couple years ago. She went to scoot along the side deck but the thicker PDF caught the edge of the wheelhouse and bumped her overboard. Now she goes forward via the centre window.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 01:51 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
We have a Lab that is fearless on the boat. He jumps on and off like it is nothing. If the boat is within 5 or 6’ from the dock he will jump without a thought so we have to keep the side gates closed. He runs up to the edge and stops with half his feet hanging over the edge but has not gone in yet. He absolutely loves going up on the bow. We have an enclosure that he has learned how to unsnap so he can go under it to the bow. So we put a large fender in the walkway to keep him on the sundeck. If we hang it with the bottom of the fender forward he will slide under it and get to the bow. So we learned to hang it with the bottom pointing aft and he can’t get under it to go on the bow. Amazing how they learn to do stuff.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 04:57 AM   #11
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
As a USCG guy...I can tell you they fall off with regularity that enough owners ask the USCG to look for them. One lady offered a $10,000 reward over 20 years ago. That was up on Delaware Bay..

How many fall off and either are recovered or self rescue? I cant say but my guess is it is more than a rarity.

Years ago, Soundings ran an article discussing the subject...they seemed to have plenty of examples too.

Dogs aboard my boat have even tried to cut the corner of a floating dock, stuffed with weeds and branches, so thick it appeared as dry land.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 06:12 AM   #12
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
How about cats falling over? Ours seems to have an affinity for water.
Attached Thumbnails
8645812B-DCE6-41A3-96C2-6B540698A391.jpg  
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 06:29 AM   #13
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Cats too...most cats on the north side FT Pierce City Marina this past winter seem to have wound up in the water at least once.

One old salt has a rug hff hanging over the side so they can climb back on.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 06:32 AM   #14

City: St James City/Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: Charlie Noble
Vessel Model: 32 Nordic Tug
Our American Pit has only fallen in once getting off the boat and on to the skinny dock at Chincoteague city docks. It was very early in the morning and the docks were wet and slippery. My wife was trying to take Rosie for a walk, so there was no life jacket. Rosie jumped off the boat on to the docks and just slid right off. I was still sleeping when I heard the splashing and my wife calling for me. I ran out and layed down on the dock and with my wife pulling the pooch out by the collar and me at her back legs we managed to get her up and out. After it was over I found myself hoping that the city doesn't have any cameras on their docks since I was still in my underwear and luckily we were the only ones at the docks that morning.
Old 06-19-2020, 06:43 AM   #15
Guru

City: Malmö
Vessel Name: ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
How about cats falling over? Ours seems to have an affinity for water.

During 10 years of boating, our cat hasn't fallen overboard yet! Visiting neighbors' boats without permission is another matter, however ;-)
Have you put your cat's affinity for water to good use, Angus99?
Attached Thumbnails
Donatello1.jpg  
ScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 07:18 AM   #16
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Growing up, the only times our golden ended up in the water were due to a failed jump on/off the boat at the dock. Our current poodle isn't the most surefooted on the fiberglass decks, so he wears sneakers on the boat. And he's not allowed out onto the side decks or anywhere with a danger of falling unattended.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 07:20 AM   #17

City: Rockford, IL
Vessel Name: Du NORD
Vessel Model: Albin-25
Our 55lb Boxer/Sharpei/+? mix can swim fine, and wades the shallows

when ashore, but is not an habitual swimmer like a Lab. She wears a PFD when anywhere near the water. She once ran down a ramp to a pier lower than shore, skidded on the moss and dew-covered wooden planking when reaching the bottom, and slid right off into the water 18" lower than the pier. The handle on the back of her PFD provided the only realistic way to retrieve her quickly.

Gelcoat does not provide much for a dog's paws to grip, even on molded non-skid.
Moby Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 07:24 AM   #18

City: Rockford, IL
Vessel Name: Du NORD
Vessel Model: Albin-25
There is no downside to a PFD for the dog

Once we put it on her a few times she now eagerly puts her head through the hole for her neck at the front of the PFD herself and patiently lets me secure the pair of straps.
Moby Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 08:36 AM   #19
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
I can't answer your question with authority because I don't cruise with dogs. But I can offer an anecdote:

A neighbor boat had two little "lap dogs", the owner drank way more than was healthy. I was walking past and one dog was yapping at me fiercely. I heard his claws scratching on the deck then a splash. I was inclined to let him swim for it but decided to do a rescue. I turned around and looked into the water, the dog was sinking! No attempt to swim, just heading for the bottom. I grabed it and called for the owner. End of story.

Point being, I never realized that some dogs sink! Better put your in life jackets.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 08:50 AM   #20
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottC View Post
During 10 years of boating, our cat hasn't fallen overboard yet! Visiting neighbors' boats without permission is another matter, however ;-)
Have you put your cat's affinity for water to good use, Angus99?

Ha! I think Chloe just likes to be mesmerized. Not interested in self-improvement.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote