Dismal v AICW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Hippocampus
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 42
Currently heading north on ICW. Lock is broken and running on generator power opening only every two hours. We draft 5’ but with full fuel and water a bit more aft. Notice to navigators says take dismal if less than 6’. Have done ICW route several times so comfortable with it. Have never done Dismal.
But Dismal is longer and much slower from my interpretation of waterway guide and navionics/c-map. Which would you do if you wanted to get north as quickly and safely as possible?

We went thru the Great Bridge lock a couple weeks ago when the schedule was even more limited. No wait then and I haven’t heard of people having problems subsequently.

The Dismal is fun because it's unique, but is a bit longer, but no weather/wave issues, and Elizabeth city is a fun stop, lots of really nice free docks. The Mid-Atlantic Christian University docks are 10 on 10... room for only a few boats. We left there and went completely thru the Dismal in one day. Stopped just before the last lock where we could walk to a Food Lion.

Hippo... we have about the same draft as you and facing the same decision. we've taken the Virginia cut a couple times so we're familiar with it.
Last year a friend of ours went through the dismal with a similar size boat and ended up with significant prop and shaft damage to something he hit. Granted he had twins with unprotected props, but we're also concerned about how narrow the dismal is for passing and possibly more traffic these days. We could probably manage the dismal, but will likely just go the familiar route and we're willing to wait a while at the Great bridge lock if necessary. just my .02... ;)

The Dismal Swamp Canal is an interesting route and Elizabeth City is a great free stop. OTOH the canal does get lot of submerged tree limbs and you can occasionally hit one. I hit one on one of my dozen or so trips, but no prop damage.

If you do decide to go, 5+’ draft should be no problem and there is plenty of room for passing, although this time of year 90% of the traffic is northbound.

David

If you are in a hurry VA cut is the better option. Even with the Great Bridge Lock every other hour schedule.
Hurrying up the Dismal Swamp could cost you time and money.

One thing to know. Since the traffic on the Dismal is going to be more busy, stay WAY behind the boat in front of you ,so as to let the stuff they stir up settle.
I've been through it in a smaller boat (34) and it was fine but didn't particularly think it was all that. My wife on the other hand found it lovely and want's to do it again. So I guess I'll be using that route again...

One thing to know. Since the traffic on the Dismal is going to be more busy, stay WAY behind the boat in front of you ,so as to let the stuff they stir up settle.
I've been through it in a smaller boat (34) and it was fine but didn't particularly think it was all that. My wife on the other hand found it lovely and want's to do it again. So I guess I'll be using that route again...

Your boat knows it by heart.

After the only experience she had in Currituck Sound, she would have clawed her way through the Dismal if necessary.

I rarely bumped a branch or log (even after the hurricane that closed it for a year....probably cleaner at that point than ever). Never any damage in 13 transits or so.

My experience with it is 10 years old, but in a 4' draft boat we went thunk a number of times. I'm glad we experienced it once, but once was enough and I wouldn't go that way again.

Have done both. Virginia Cut is BORING! Never again.

Went through in April without issue. After the hurricane (6 years ago?) that downed many trees the canal was closed, trees removed, and dredged to 6'+. In my transiting of the canal and spending the night at the Welcome Center, I saw about 10 boats transiting the canal. While I was probably the largest power boat, there were 2 large sailboats transiting also.

I have probably transitted the the canal 20 times in one direction or the other between my trawler and charter boat. A slow speed of 5 knots (6 MPH+/-) is key.

20230430_072917.jpg

Ted

The Dismal seems to have a rep like the NJ ICW.

For those that do them and avoid waiting out bad weather in the ocean/Currituck sound, some seem to do it regularly without major issue and others seem to curse it's existence.

While not for deep draft with exposed gear both are done by a lot of boats every year with many repeat customers (too bad Robert at the North lock is gone, he had many friends that got to know him from their annual trips).

The real drawback to me is both do penalize speedy boats (those much more than 7 knots), but they make up for it as part of the voyage versus just another run.

We went thru the Great Bridge lock a couple weeks ago when the schedule was even more limited. No wait then and I haven’t heard of people having problems subsequently.

==============================

just went through yesterday, Thursday 19
10 am

Things may be a little different now with an increased traffic of boats going back north.

Had a heck of a time, called earlier and instructions were to rig for port side,20 minutes before the lock was to open the lock master instructed to change and rig for starboard side, due to high number of boats the protected favored bulkhead was filled up.

When I made it in, it was no room at the Inn and was requested to turn back and wait next opening.

Single hand all of these changes were challenging, the breeze of course picked up and made maneuvering difficult.

Asked the staff if I could raft to another boat, they were non-committal, except was up the individual boats.

Fortunately, a trawler owner offered his boat to tie up.

Hope is a member on this forum,I want to express my gratitude for his gesture, truly saved my day.

In conclusion, be prepared for last minute changes.

Dismal Swamp is for me!

My experience with it is 10 years old, but in a 4' draft boat we went thunk a number of times. I'm glad we experienced it once, but once was enough and I wouldn't go that way again.

We did the Coinjock route and once is enough for this girl on that route! The Great bridge lock said it opened at 10...but that was for Northbound. We got there at 9:35 so had to find a place to wait until after 10:30.We were rushing to get through the next openings to catch the noon opening of the last bridge. We saw lots of big debris in the water too.

Luckily, Darrell, the Dismal Swamp lockmaster (you never forget your first lockmaster) was working the Pungo Ferry bridge that day and held it open a few extra minutes for us. I told him that he'll always see this gal in the Dismal Swamp.

The biggest deterrent for us were the HUGE boats. Boats that rocked our world even when they did a slow pass and that loomed over us at Coinjock. We didn't like the bust to nuts parking there either!

I've had the prime rib at Coinjock, and the prime rib at Lambs marina in Camden just north of Elizabeth City is my new favorite.

Its great that there are both options for different tastes. :socool:

Thanks guys for the recent information. Reading on MTOA of boats with less draft than us hitting bottom repeatedly. Looks like we have no choice but the cut. Makes no sense to go outside as we’re at alligator swing bridge and outside will take another day to calm down.

Did go through the lock when going south before it broke. That time was uneventful. We were one of two boats. Have never done the dismal. Hence this thread. Information has been quite helpful.

Davil1 what kind of boat? Principle dimensions?

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the recent information. Reading on MTOA of boats with less draft than us hitting bottom repeatedly. Looks like we have no choice but the cut. Makes no sense to go outside as we’re at alligator swing bridge and outside will take another day to calm down.

Did go through the lock when going south before it broke. That time was uneventful. We were one of two boats. Have never done the dismal. Hence this thread. Information has been quite helpful.

Davil1 what kind of boat? Principle dimensions?[/==
======================================
sailboat
Cape Dory 30
draft 4.6

Posted because many powerboats are now going north and thought my experience could be helpful.

I believe things have changed recently, traffic is heavy and need to anticipate all possibilities.

I only got ready my port side as instructed, in retrospect should have rigged both sides just in case.

Also, as approaching the lock, should have to call in and make sure there was room for me.

Little mistakes that increased blood pressure and added extra marks to my hull

In little locks, like the ACIW and Okeechobee I do both sides because ya never know which side you might be told to go to and the rest of the yahoos coming in may just spaz out and having fenders over the side is not a bad thing.

IMHO if you don't have protected props you are rolling the dice. There are plenty of people who have damaged props in the Dismal. The canal is a really cool trip and many proponents will tell you it's no problem, just make sure you go slow and don't follow close to another boat. All good advice. We have done the trip 6 times. We are a 3.5' draft boat with no keel or prop protection. We have "BUMPED" as many a 5 times on any trip. Imagine what every it is that causes the bump gets pushed down or off to the side and doesn't hit those props turning at 500 rpm.
If I had a full keel I could probably rationalize the risk away.

Food for thought: Where would it be ok if you routinely bumped things while cruising?

I have been watching forums for 14 years and this discussion is always the same. The lovers of the canal rationalize the risk. What you don't see enough of is the poor guy that spent $2k getting props fixed speaking up.

In little locks, like the ACIW and Okeechobee I do both sides because ya never know which side you might be told to go to and the rest of the yahoos coming in may just spaz out and having fenders over the side is not a bad thing.

We eventually began to keep fenders rigged on both sides for the whole AICW ride. Got tired of last-minute switches where a dockmaster might say "Ooops, I meant..."

Even schlepping fenders forward to install and then back to stow got old... so we deployed 3 tube types on each side, adjusted for a typical floating dock... and then moved a wider buoy fender from side to side up near the curve from straight sides to bow. Raise then up on deck for underway, kick them all over the side when near a lock or dock.

Next trip, we'll just add another buoy fender to the mix, so we don't even have to bother with moving one back and forth.

-Chris

We eventually began to keep fenders rigged on both sides for the whole AICW ride. Got tired of last-minute switches where a dockmaster might say "Ooops, I meant..."

Even schlepping fenders forward to install and then back to stow got old... so we deployed 3 tube types on each side, adjusted for a typical floating dock... and then moved a wider buoy fender from side to side up near the curve from straight sides to bow. Raise then up on deck for underway, kick them all over the side when near a lock or dock.

Next trip, we'll just add another buoy fender to the mix, so we don't even have to bother with moving one back and forth.

-Chris

Pretty much my philosophy for those runs from marina to marina. 95% of the time the weather was nice enough to leave the fenders and lines all rigged.

The only time I would pull them (some or all) up was when I knew I would anchor out for more than a night and they would be cluttering the walkaround decks at night.

Have decent rub rails on this boat at two heights. On the side the wind would blow us off the dock don’t bother with fenders while coming in. For floating docks in light air and current and a rubber guard on it don’t bother either until tied up. With fixed docks and external pilings they’re never put in the right place anyway until you have springs set up.
Once I have a midship line or spring and a bow or stern line i feel secure. Then I can place fenders where they need to be.
Locks are a different beast. Lines and fenders on both sides. All too often someone just comes up and rafts, a rusty steel boat with Bluto on it or the lock master picks the other side at the last second.
While in the Caribbean sometimes docked against grungy commercial wharves. Then used fender boards. Don’t carry one now but probably should

We generally fender only 1 side in locks, at least for the NY canals. Mostly because we've got a pretty elaborate fender setup for it and there's not enough room on the boat to store that setup twice over (as-is, we have to deflate some of the big balls to stow them). We've always got additional fenders available to deploy on the other side if needed though.

Rafting isn't generally done in the NY canal locks from what I've seen and we're rarely there in peak season, so I think we've only ever had to switch sides once. It probably helps that most boats seem to prefer locking on the starboard side, while we're normally configured for port side (so we've never run out of room on the wall even when we've had a few other boats with us in a lock). For locks, it doesn't actually matter which side we use, but we prefer to dock port side to due to several boat configuration factors, so that's where the fenders normally stay in the canals.

In locks, our normal docking fenders (10x26 cylinders) stay in their holders. Instead, we use 4x 12" balls and 2x 18" balls. The 18" balls get hung just above the water all the way aft and about 2/3 forward. The 12" balls get distributed along the length (up to about 80% forward) just below the gunwale. That covers pretty much any lock, seawall, grungy wharf, etc. with minimal to no adjustment needed for height (if a lock fills close to the top, the big balls take over once the wall is too far below the gunwale).

Sitting in great bridge lock right now. On the east side it’s rubber have fenders out but could do without. Guys here are very nice. Uneventful so far

We went through Great Bridge Lock at 6pm today
Got my ass handed to Mr on the Albemarle.

Last edited:
I have locking fenders (balls with no covers), and docking fenders LARGE tube style hung horizontally with polartech covers. If I'm docking against concrete bulkheads, I use the balls.

When locking the three large balls are rigged with loops on the end that drop over cleats. Switching from port to starboard takes about 2 minutes. Unless forced, I lock and dock to starboard. Everything including the operator is optimized to do it that way.

Ted

I Came through the dismal yesterday, northbound. 5.5 foot draft. Bumped gently a dozen or so times. No problem and I would take the swamp route again. I encourage overnighting in the canal. Beautiful and peaceful. I transited a couple years ago with a 6 foot draft and wouldn’t do that again. Going slow is key. Also spent a fabulous night up the Pasquotank a quarter mile beyond the start of Turner’s Cut. Primeval.

I Came through the dismal yesterday, northbound. 5.5 foot draft. Bumped gently a dozen or so times. No problem and I would take the swamp route again. I encourage overnighting in the canal. Beautiful and peaceful. I transited a couple years ago with a 6 foot draft and wouldn’t do that again. Going slow is key. Also spent a fabulous night up the Pasquotank a quarter mile beyond the start of Turner’s Cut. Primeval.

That what I love about inland cruising. Go off the beaten track just a bit and adventure lies around every corner.

We have done it four of five times. It is considerably nicer than ICW. Like many have mentioned, there can be submerged logs but your draft is really not a huge issue. We are twin screws with no protection and have not had any issues but chance, as in all things in life, plays a part. The traffic/passing issues are not a problem as there is plenty of room. We have passed very wide cats with no problem. I would recommend that you have someone check your strainers every hour or so for duckeweed salad if the duckweed is thick. I would do it at least once as it is considerably more interesting than the ICW stretch. Also, keep in mind that at the dock, there is almost no chance of a bent prop or a submerged log but what is the fun in that?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom