Dismal Swamp - Recent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PennBruce

Vessel Name
Last Hurrah
Vessel Make
Ta Chiao/CT35 Sun Deck
I am planning my first trip to South Carolina via the ICW from the Chesapeake. I did a Google search of the forum for postings on the Dismal Swamp route with no recent results.

Has anyone taken the route this year? If so, your observations would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bruce

I did the Dismal Swamp going North around May 1st of this year. I draw 4.5', 50' length overall, and have a 22' air draft with the VHF antenna up. Had no issues and plan to return the same way in November.

20230430_072917.jpg

20230429_162900.jpg

Ted

Last edited:
I have read that there are two one way sections. How is traffic controlled in those?

Thanks for your reply,

Bruce

I did the Dismal Swamp going North around May 1st of this year. I draw 4.5', 50' length overall, and have a 22' air draft with the VHF antenna up. Had no issues and plan to return the same way in November.

I have read that there are two one way sections. How is traffic controlled in those?

Thanks for your reply,

Bruce

Not sure what you mean by one way sections. The canal itself is two long straight sections joined by a modest turning area. When encountering a boat coming in the opposite direction, you usually have over a mile to pick an area where the canal is a little wider to pass. This isn’t like a part of the Trent Severn Waterway where there is no passing room.

Ted

Thanks for your reply,

Bruce

Where did you read that?

I have never heard of "Official" one way sections.

There are narrow parts where one vessel looking for a spot to pull over is prudent, and sailboats tend to hog the center to keep their masts out of the trees, but I never had any issues in 8 years with 2 way transits.

For the latest Dismal updates try joining the Facebook group “ICW Cruising Guide with Bob423”

They discuss the DS every two weeks or so.

There is a good general description of what to expect in Waterway Guide.

Only worries would be greater than 3.5 draft with exposed props. Sometimes there are sunken logs across the channel. If you have a keel to protect the props, you will feel a nudge.

Are boaters allowed to overnight at the Visitor's Center?

Bruce

Overnight? Yes that spot is the most common overnight spot. Be prepared for rafting.

There are a couple of other spots that folks overnight at.

I made my way to the Visitors Center a couple of years ago, it was quite full. I just kept going and spent the night with a stern anchor out and the bow tied to a tree.

At both ends there are sea walls or at the north end also a free dock for overnighting.

Dismal Swamp - recent

We went thru on June 8th this year and it was an experience, also our 1st time.

We followed a steel hulled boat who I think was 'plowing the way' but you will still get the thumps and bangs which is really unsettling. Also, you are destined to do 5mph or less thru the route.

We started thru at 0800h and came out at ~1330h. There were several stops for locks but for the most part it was easy going, just the thumps & bumps.

We will be hauled this winter for dripless seals and I'm going to have the props checked out. That will tell the tale but I'm not expecting any real damage.

IF you don't use the swamp then it is the VA Cut and I'm not sure I would like a day of being waked by big fishing boats that definitely have to be there just intime to catch a trophy fish. You'd think they made a reservation and was running late.

I figured that for the historic value I had to do it once, we were heading north, but don't think south is much different.

I have filmed the whole route with my VIRB XE Garmin camera but it amounts to about 17GB of files so not easy to post.

Any questions or areas of interest I might be able to break out that part.

Even with the thumps & bumps it is worth doing, at least once, BUT, keep in mind, there are those who have suffered serious damage on this route. Keep it slow and eyes forward the whole time for problems.

Good luck

Dismal experience

Cruisers wax poetically about their experience transiting the Dismal Swamp. Our expérience not enjoyable at all. We were first boat through in the morning with no churned up water. Unfortunately hours of hitting deadwood with our 4’ draft. NEVER AGAIN.

Never again for me as well. 50’ draft at 4’9” and bumped several times. Once pretty hard. I did have damage to one of my props but that could have been Erie Canal. Very narrow if you have to pass as others have said.

Never again

As a footnote to my dismal experience when we got to Elizabeth City after the swamp, I noticed the mid/ engine room bilge pump engaging. Turns out my Starboard shaft seal was leaking. After a bit of understandable panic since it was a weekend with no boatyards open, panic I made a call to my boat mechanic in Boston for some reassurance I was able to replace the shaft seal at the dock myself since I fortunately have a Shaft Seal system on my boat. It saved me a haul and a real downer on our ICW run.

Not blaming the dismal per se, but the deadwood more than likely caused the leak in the shaft seal.

Funny how many snowbirders run it all the time with a 4 foot draft and never have an issue.

Sure ....thumps and bumps , but if single in a keel, hardly an issue.

Exposed props and greater than 4 foot draft, I might worry a bit more.

Last edited:
I regularly stop at Atlantic Yacht Basin for maintenance and repairs. There are always boats there getting they're running gear fixed. I've talked to several owners and mechanics and most of the damage was done in the DS. The VA Cut is not without risk, but if you use the US Corps of Engineers heat maps and go down the deepest track, you will reduce your risk. That is the path the barges take, and they keep it clear.

The DS is after all just that, a swamp with many tree stumps.

I regularly stop at Atlantic Yacht Basin for maintenance and repairs. There are always boats there getting they're running gear fixed. I've talked to several owners and mechanics and most of the damage was done in the DS. The VA Cut is not without risk, but if you use the US Corps of Engineers heat maps and go down the deepest track, you will reduce your risk. That is the path the barges take, and they keep it clear.

The DS is after all just that, a swamp with many tree stumps.

I find way more hazardous bald cypress stumps in the Virginia cut and Alligator River/Canal area because all too often a tug and barge force you way to the sides or when smaller vessels try and avoid speeding yachts leaving large wakes that push you up on them.

Go down the center of the DS and you won't hit a stump, too many vessels have gone through for too many years to still have stumps, not logs on the bottom...sure...but for those with protected running gear...sliding over a slimy stump is hardly an issue.

More likely to scrape oyster shell in the ICW in many parts of Ga and SC at low tide.

We've been thru the Dismal several times with over 4 ft draft and wheel protected by skeg.

I always have my hand on the controls ready to go to neutral in a heartbeat.

All my encounters have been forward, none in the wheel.

You likely won't see anything that will be a problem for your running gear. It is logs on the bottom that get bumped around that are the hazards.

If you have twin screw with nothing beneath them for protection I would advise against the passage. Even if your centerline keel is deeper. Two twin screw boats had damage this April within 24 hours of our passage.

Have toyed with doing the DS over the cut several times now. We’re single screw but 4’7” on manufactures principal dimensions. Have learned to treat us as 5’.

Find the cut as being uneventful. Not needing a second person as a spotter. With AIS will speed up or slow down to avoid difficult passes with barges or dredges. A non issue so far. More difficult is timing bridges and the lock but easily done. Been going spring and late fall so the major difficulty has been anchoring. Lots of traffic so good places to stop are full. End up with longer days than we want.

Ever time when I chat with other cruisers my size they say. You don’t save time, it’s pretty but not that pretty , problems can become big problems.

No weather worry, never had a problem swamp induced (hit stuff in both routes), less traffic, no wakes, nice stop in E-City, may be a better (or worse) slog angle over to the Alligator.

Not for everyone....well that a "no kidder".... but for those with 4 or less feet of draft and fairly protected running gear (although plenty with exposed gear have no issues) shouldn't fear the DS... I get if you do it and don't like it...but a bunch of cruisers I have met use it most of the time after they have made the trip.

Don't take my word for it....decide for yourself and don't be swayed by people that seem to worry about everything.

This thread is making me feel like my props are totally exposed and naked.

Didn't like the swamp

I went last year during the summer with a 3 foot draft. I had several bumps during my run. Friends who went a couple of weeks later with a 3 1/2 draft didn't have one bump.

I found it a boring run, the scenery was nothing special and it was a slog at the speed limit. To me, none of trip said swamp, dismal yes, swamp no. Not surprising as the draining of the swamp is ongoing. It started in the 1700s.

I overnighted at the visitor center. Not a big deal, the dock was full but nobody showed to raft off.

I liked Elizabeth City. We docked at the college. They have water but no sewer or electricity. The college is a missionary college that trains people to proselytize from boats. We enjoyed our stay there. Nice people who make their facilities available to boaters for a very reasonable cost.

I enjoyed many places on the loop but the dismal swamp was not one of them. It was a big bore.

Mike

I guess it's aptly named.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom