Dirty Holding Tank, Needs cleaning!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rob

Vessel Name
Lady Anne
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen KK42
When I drain my holding tank via vacuum pump out or simply by pumping out it appears that I always have about an inch and a half of stain or sludge in the bottom. My tank is made of poly, so you can shine a flash light thru the top and see the level. We have been full time live aboard for the past year, so it’s obviously had some exercise thru the tank! There doesn’t appear to be any extra foul odors venting out! I add the normal holding tank chemicals but this stain/sludge level never seems to change. Is there some extra strong cleaner that I can add and allow to slosh around while on rough water to do some scrubbing for me. How would driveway moss and mildew cleaner work, or bleach outdoor cleaner. The boat is a 1983 Kadey Krogen 42.

I would not assume that you have sludge (you might). It is very possible that the tank is stained. After living aboard for 10 years I had to remove my holding tank for access reasons. I pumped the tank out and then I opened the inspection port to flush out all the sludge. I was surprised to find zero sludge in the tank. I can’t guarantee you will have no sludge but I would verify first.

Prior to leaving Mexico a month ago to come home, we pulled the inspection/sensor plate and then I turned on the hose with jet nozzle and cleaned up our Black water tank. Pretty amazing the stuff that broke loose. The overboard drain line is almost an inch off the bottom with another inch above that for the top of the line. The pump out line is about the same. So, either way we still have around 2 inches of “stuff” that never really drains. Guess, I have another semi-annual chore to put on the list!

The overboard drain line is almost an inch off the bottom with another inch above that for the top of the line. The pump out line is about the same. So, either way we still have around 2 inches of “stuff” that never really drains. Guess, I have another semi-annual chore to put on the list!

This is unfortunately a common problem. When I replaced my tank, I bought a blank one and built my own dip tube fitting for pump-out and discharge, specifically intended to minimize un-drainable fluid in the tank. I set it up to pull all but about the last 1/2" or a little more, figuring that with macerating heads I should have a low risk of clogging the pickup.

Noflex
"It works" do a search on forum on it.
Yes i'm biased because i make it.
If you try it and need any advice just PM me or ask on the forum.
Lots of TF people will help with their experience using it.

I tried several methods to get sludge off the inside vertical surfaces of my holding tank, which was preventing the exterior level sensor from working right. Finally followed someone's suggestion of sodium perchlorate (apparently one of the major ingredients of Oxyclean)--about 1 cup powder per gallon, plus a bunch of liquid Tide. Filled tank and let sit over night. Agitation not needed. Pumped out tank and rinse well. It worked!
Good luck
Oldersalt

A few months ago O C Diver (Ted) described a method that he successfully used to clean his tank. I believe the main ingredient was the same as is used in Noflex??
Search his threads, especially within the last 6 months to find it.

Greetings,
Mr. R. What are the "...normal holding tank chemicals..."? I've not tried No-flex digestor but have never heard any negative reports.

Another vote for NoFlex for regular use - no other chemicals or deodorizers

Do a fresh water rinse after pumping out to more of the solids out.
At end of season I will fill about half full with a container of Calgon water softener and a large dose of OxiClean or NoFlex and let sit / slosh about a week before final pump & flush

You might try that periodically - as part of the last flush - I keep flushing until it comes out clean

Noflex

Hi Sea Q

After advice from the headmistress I have ordered a container of your product from your distributor down here - DunnyDoo - great name eh:) to overcome an eye watering smell coming from the tank vent after each flush.

Our system goes to the holding tank via a treatment process which injects a pre determined amount of chlorine before it hits the holding tank.

Can I add a scoop of your product into the bowl with each flush, remembering it will be "chlorinated" on the way through to the tank or should I add it direct to the tank?

Greetings,
Mr. B. "...eye watering smell..." You, my friend, have a DEAD holding tank. The chlorine is killing all the aerobic bacteria that decompose the effluent and in doing so, get rid of the smell.

Noflex

I can vouch for Noflex.

I tried several methods to get sludge off the inside vertical surfaces of my holding tank, which was preventing the exterior level sensor from working right. Finally followed someone's suggestion of sodium perchlorate (apparently one of the major ingredients of Oxyclean)--about 1 cup powder per gallon, plus a bunch of liquid Tide. Filled tank and let sit over night. Agitation not needed. Pumped out tank and rinse well. It worked!
Good luck
Oldersalt

Go for it
Noflex is not the same
----------------
use Oxyclean
Please don't ask for help later

Hi Sea Q

After advice from the headmistress I have ordered a container of your product from your distributor down here - DunnyDoo - great name eh:) to overcome an eye watering smell coming from the tank vent after each flush.

Our system goes to the holding tank via a treatment process which injects a pre determined amount of chlorine before it hits the holding tank.

Can I add a scoop of your product into the bowl with each flush, remembering it will be "chlorinated" on the way through to the tank or should I add it direct to the tank?

Dunny doo (great name)
Andrew is a great guy and a friend.
Also Peggie H knows what she is talking about .
No problem with adding a scoop before .
Talk to Andrew about your system .
And needs .
if there is anything out of the norm.
we will work on it together
Cheers Dave

After reading many reviews, I placed my order on good ol’ Amazon.com today.
Thanks for the advice. Rob

The RV folks that have the superb RV toilets simply dump a couple of bags of ice down the toilet and go for a ride.

Tanks come out clean , no effort ,tiny expense of time or currency..

The RV folks that have the superb RV toilets simply dump a couple of bags of ice down the toilet and go for a ride.

Tanks come out clean , no effort ,tiny expense of time or currency..
I have never tried that but have watched videos that show ice to clearly be an urban myth.
If little water it stay put and if more water it just floats around while melting.
The test I saw was clear tank in back of a pickup and guy drove it like he stole it... still no action

Bottom line, why bother?

If it is sludge I can see the need to get it loose and out, if it is just a stain who cares? Any of the suggestions will probably get the stain out. I am guessing it will be back.

pete

Good luck
Oldersalt

I had the same issue with my sensors.

The fix for me was a bunch of dawn dishwashing detergent. A cup or so and lots of hot water.

Bottom line, why bother?

If it is sludge I can see the need to get it loose and out, if it is just a stain who cares? Any of the suggestions will probably get the stain out. I am guessing it will be back.

pete

Pete—- RIGHT ON!!! I don’t clean the bottom of my home’s septic tank other than having it pumped annually. I see no reason to clean our boat’s holding tank other than having it pumped when required.

Greetings, Mr. B. "...eye watering smell..." You, my friend, have a DEAD holding tank. The chlorine is killing all the aerobic bacteria that decompose the effluent and in doing so, get rid of the smell.

That would be true if treatment killed ALL the bacteria, but it obviously doesn't or he wouldn't have odor out the vent... 'cuz it's bacteria that create odor and there wouldn't be any in a "dead" tank. So while his tank IS anaerobic (the problem we're hoping No-Flex may be able to cure without having to increase ventilation) , it ain't dead!

The Raritan ElectroScan or PuraSan only reduces bacteria to <10/100ml...it's unlikely his Saniloo (Australian Type I) does any better than that (their specs say it kills 99%). But only ONE of the li'l buggers has to survive in the tank to quickly multiply into zillions...which is also the reason why treating waste before it goes into a tank doesn't make it legal to dump the tank inside the "3 mile limit" here in the US or the "1 mile limit" in OZ.

--Peggie

Last edited:
Ordering me some No-flex!

Hi,

We had the same problem on our Fleming. Talking with the helpful guy from Lee Sanitation, he said to use their 'Clean and Green'.

He explained that the enzymes see the sludge as their supper, and chomp their way through it. He was right and they did!

Worked a treat. Now we use it every year.

Dunny Doo (great name)
There is a small town in NSW state called Dunnedoo. It`s the aboriginal name for swan, found locally.
The town shouldered its inevitable burden,following The Big Prawn, Big Banana,Big Merino, etc, with "The Big Dunny" outhouse.
Isn`t there a trick dumping ice into the tank followed by some boisterous seas?

"Isn`t there a trick dumping ice into the tank followed by some boisterous seas?"

Urban legend that's a myth!
Google it and find the myth busters video using a clear plexiglass "tank". Very little action even when the PU truck it was mounted in was driven like he stole it!

Try some No flex and convince yourself.
Also investigate getting better venting.
There is a way even if you need to resort to a bubbler that's doable DIY. If interested I can give you the link... been there, done that and it works.

Hose odor

My question is how to get the stink out of vent and dump hoses. I cleaned my tank really well and don't get any odor when flushing. But when I crawl into the hold where the hoses are located I can really smell it. Is there any way to deodorize them so I don't have to replace them?

My question is how to get the stink out of vent and dump hoses. I cleaned my tank really well and don't get any odor when flushing. But when I crawl into the hold where the hoses are located I can really smell it. Is there any way to deodorize them so I don't have to replace them?

If your hoses are permeated, you need to change them. The Vetus hose is good stuff, and they weren't involved in the marine hose price fixing scandal.

Back
Top Bottom