dingy choices for Helmsmen 38E

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crowleykirk

Veteran Member
I've search but cannot find a thread on dingy choice for a Helmsmen 38E or 43 for that matter.

Just wondering what size is most common. Swim step or flybridge mounted.
Gas or electric.

Wonder what the largest that can be used. I believe 10.5.

What are you folks liking and why? I really like the Aspen CAT Carbon CAT but also I'm thinking a small center console.

It will mostly be my wife and I. But we may use the dingy for some exploring, hence I would not mind going with something larger and bigger outboard.

Thank you in advance.

Kirk

I've search but cannot find a thread on dingy choice for a Helmsmen 38E or 43 for that matter.

Just wondering what size is most common. Swim step or flybridge mounted.
Gas or electric.

Wonder what the largest that can be used. I believe 10.5.

What are you folks liking and why? I really like the Aspen CAT Carbon CAT but also I'm thinking a small center console.

It will mostly be my wife and I. But we may use the dingy for some exploring, hence I would not mind going with something larger and bigger outboard.

Thank you in advance.

Kirk

This is what I have.

https://www.polycraft.com/300-tuffy

And I am using an ePropulsion with it.

With that combo I do not leave the engine on it, but rather I store it in the engine bay below the saloon. Each half of the engine is light enough to manage installation well enough while sitting in the dink. The process avoids banging it around against railings and the side of the boat and its windows while lifting / lowering. Obviously, I am carrying it up top.

Because I am not lifting with an engine, I "could" get away with 10.5 ft., or even 11. But 10 ft is plenty long.

Thought process:

1) I wanted a hard dink. Lots of rough wooden piers and bulkheads on the Chesapeake and I never felt safe bumping the old RIB I had years ago into docks.

2) I wanted the most stable dink I could find when boarding. Many are pretty skittish. Old bones are getting older. This was my #1 priority.

3) I have no need to get up on plane and zoom. The engine choice actually came first. Going in that direction, I have no gas aboard. I had already eliminated propane, so the only fuel I have aboard is diesel for the Cummins and generator.

4) Not lowering the dink with engine attached, total weight was not an important factor. Boat weight with no engine is about the same as a 10 ft RIB with 15 hp gas outboard.

5) My topside railing is full height. Some spec a lower section at the stern. I wanted full height if I, or subsequent owners, switch to carrying the dink on davits off the swim platform.

6) With full height railings, you do have to pay some attention to height of the boat from the bottom to davit crane attachment points. The issue is being sure the bottom of the boat clears the railing when lifted to full height. For me its close, but it does.

7) My #2 priority was I wanted a dink I sit *IN* not *ON*. Sitting on the side of a RIB is fine when just messing around. But using it to go in for a restaurant meal or in-town sightseeing the last thing you want is a wet butt from a splash.

This one meets all of those criteria, with the addition of the fact it has 3 storage lockers for dink anchor, and sundry other bits of gear. It is the most stable hard dink I've seen. It is pretty dry in the flat water its only seen so far. The sides are low so I do wonder how well it will behave in any chop. It is rated for 15hp engines, and it seems to fly on plane in the videos that are out there. Figuring out a lift harness took some doing, but i got there.

My #2 choice would probably have been a Whaley. I am told they don't actually plane with a 15hp despite what they say. I started by looking at a Pudgy, and while there is a lot to like, the round bottom doesn't give it the stability on boarding I was looking for.

RIBS are pretty standard from one brand to the next. Not so when you begin down the path of hard dinks. Finding the right one was hard.

What a great response. I can see your reasoning. That is also why I'm looking at the Aspen Carbon CAT. I like the one you recommend here as well. I have emailed Aspen as I do know they make a center console kit for their Carbon CAT.

I did have a chance to ride in one and really liked it. It's so light you can get away with a smaller outboard like a 9.9. I'd have to inquire about electric but Aspen recommends a 9.9 Yamaha. In fact the owner and a buddy just did a 2 day cruise see visit lighthouse in WA in these little carbon CATS. In some very nasty waves. I'm sure that's why the recommend gas.

Just depends on your usage. I have no issue with gas or propane if you know how to take care of it. Obviously electric solves all of that just have time limits and charging issues.

How long can you use your with the e motor?

I like how the Helmsmen gives you an option of a removable wire upper railing of sorts just for getting the dingy onto the flybridge. I like that idea and I like the idea of it on the flybridge but would want to check out a swim step davit system as well.

I know I have read about your vessel before. Sounds really nice.

Again, thanks so much for your quick reply.

Kirk

The various carbon cats look great. But at the time I was shopping they were $15k compared to the $3k for mine. I wasn't willing to spend that. We are not heavy users of dinks, so going high end made no sense.

Hours. I am still in the stage of playing with it. Faster, slower, etc. Not settled on a sweet spot for me. The slower you go the longer / father you can travel. I'm thinking I'll settle somewhere in the area of 5 hours of continuous use, which is way more than I think we will ever need.

This is what I have.

https://www.polycraft.com/300-tuffy

And I am using an ePropulsion with it.

With that combo I do not leave the engine on it, but rather I store it in the engine bay below the saloon. Each half of the engine is light enough to manage installation well enough while sitting in the dink. The process avoids banging it around against railings and the side of the boat and its windows while lifting / lowering. Obviously, I am carrying it up top.

Because I am not lifting with an engine, I "could" get away with 10.5 ft., or even 11. But 10 ft is plenty long.

Thought process:

1) I wanted a hard dink. Lots of rough wooden piers and bulkheads on the Chesapeake and I never felt safe bumping the old RIB I had years ago into docks.

2) I wanted the most stable dink I could find when boarding. Many are pretty skittish. Old bones are getting older. This was my #1 priority.

3) I have no need to get up on plane and zoom. The engine choice actually came first. Going in that direction, I have no gas aboard. I had already eliminated propane, so the only fuel I have aboard is diesel for the Cummins and generator.

4) Not lowering the dink with engine attached, total weight was not an important factor. Boat weight with no engine is about the same as a 10 ft RIB with 15 hp gas outboard.

5) My topside railing is full height. Some spec a lower section at the stern. I wanted full height if I, or subsequent owners, switch to carrying the dink on davits off the swim platform.

6) With full height railings, you do have to pay some attention to height of the boat from the bottom to davit crane attachment points. The issue is being sure the bottom of the boat clears the railing when lifted to full height. For me its close, but it does.

7) My #2 priority was I wanted a dink I sit *IN* not *ON*. Sitting on the side of a RIB is fine when just messing around. But using it to go in for a restaurant meal or in-town sightseeing the last thing you want is a wet butt from a splash.

This one meets all of those criteria, with the addition of the fact it has 3 storage lockers for dink anchor, and sundry other bits of gear. It is the most stable hard dink I've seen. It is pretty dry in the flat water its only seen so far. The sides are low so I do wonder how well it will behave in any chop. It is rated for 15hp engines, and it seems to fly on plane in the videos that are out there. Figuring out a lift harness took some doing, but i got there.

My #2 choice would probably have been a Whaley. I am told they don't actually plane with a 15hp despite what they say. I started by looking at a Pudgy, and while there is a lot to like, the round bottom doesn't give it the stability on boarding I was looking for.

RIBS are pretty standard from one brand to the next. Not so when you begin down the path of hard dinks. Finding the right one was hard.

Love the idea of having no gas on board. Can you charge it with the generator or do you have to wait until you have shore power?

I think the first decision has to be how you'll hang it on the trawler. That will open or close doors depending on your choices. Anything with a console and a 20+ hp outboard will put you into the 350 pound range at the very least. You can then weigh the cost and complexity of the davit system and dinghy it can stow with the ability to explore with it.

Unfortunately, I learned that the hard way. I'd love a center console RIB, a 20 hp outboard, and 6 gallons of gas, but that weighs more than the davit system I chose will lift. Instead, I am happy with our Highfield 310CL, tiller steered 15 hp Yamaha, and 3 gallons of gas. First world problems, eh?

Love the idea of having no gas on board. Can you charge it with the generator or do you have to wait until you have shore power?

You just plug it into a standard outlet.

But it takes some time. Think overnight after heavy discharge. So yes can do it with generator running. Or after getting underway with the Cummins running. You probably would not want to do it just from the house bank for an extended period.

You can get a folding solar mat to do it. I have not looked into that.

We faced a similar choice recently except not Helmsman and we went with Aspen Carbon Cat (11') and 15hp engine. Ordered and not yet delivered.

For us the deciding factors were range/speed and swim step mounting weight. Previous boat had a dinghy with Torqeedo which was great except for the limited speed (4 kts) and range (a few miles).

This time we wanted more range and speed. My preference would have been a larger electric ... but those are both quite expensive and require massive and heavy batteries. Even for a Carbon Cat that would push it over 350# on the swim step which is too much. (If I recall, the center console adds quite a bit more, maybe 70# (?))

So we went with 15hp gas. Besides the weight and cost, it will be more repairable etc ... but with the downsides of gas. I hope there will be intermediate electric options soon. Meanwhile I might get another Torqeedo to use alongside the gas. Not sure.

BTW I've ridden on the Carbon Cat and it is nice! Really looking forward it as being much more like a real boat for moderate range excursions.

The various carbon cats look great. But at the time I was shopping they were $15k compared to the $3k for mine. I wasn't willing to spend that. We are not heavy users of dinks, so going high end made no sense.

Hours. I am still in the stage of playing with it. Faster, slower, etc. Not settled on a sweet spot for me. The slower you go the longer / father you can travel. I'm thinking I'll settle somewhere in the area of 5 hours of continuous use, which is way more than I think we will ever need.

Yeah, there must be some gold lining in those Aspen CATS:) I agree, that's a lot of money for a dink.
I do like the one you ended up with and if you can get 2 to 5 hours going electric that should be more than enough.

We went through this a year ago on a gb 42 Europa with 600 pound crane. Looked a bit at alternatives like aspen and oc but ended up with Highfield 310 fct with a tohatsu 20. Ample for two and a dog and some gear for the day. Will carry four and that dog. Fast stable fun. Under 400 pounds I think.
Love it so far. If you zero in on that kind of boat in that size I think it’s hard to beat. Good luck!

We also went with the Highfield 310 FCT and 20 hp Tohatsu. Very stable and unruffled. I took it from Tacoma Yacht Club to Lake Union this winter to get it mounted on the flybridge on our H43E. Not a splash in 2.5 hours on the Puget Sound. I also really like the aluminum bottom. Makes for a nice ride and I don’t worry scraping up onto the shoreline.

I looked into electric motors but didn’t find the right combo of range and speed I wanted at the time I bought it. Maybe next time.

I looked hard at the Aspen Cats but after talking with the Helmsman folks decided on a RIB in the off chance I smack the boat with the dinghy while lifting it onto the flybridge in inclement conditions.

Last edited:
You just plug it into a standard outlet.

But it takes some time. Think overnight after heavy discharge. So yes can do it with generator running. Or after getting underway with the Cummins running. You probably would not want to do it just from the house bank for an extended period.

You can get a folding solar mat to do it. I have not looked into that.

Do they require much maintenance? I have an e-bike and am sold on the technology. For that, it's pretty much zero maintenance beyond what you'd do on a normal bike.

Do they require much maintenance? I have an e-bike and am sold on the technology. For that, it's pretty much zero maintenance beyond what you'd do on a normal bike.

Zero maintenance

I think every once in a while (year or two) its a good idea to clean the electrical connections.

The manual says there are a few microscopically small zincs inside. I have used it so briefly thus far that checking those would be a waste of time. For my use this might be a once every 5 years inspection.

Yeah, there must be some gold lining in those Aspen CATS:) I agree, that's a lot of money for a dink.
I do like the one you ended up with and if you can get 2 to 5 hours going electric that should be more than enough.

If you scroll down in the link you can see range in hours and miles. Your mileage will vary based on your own boat and how you have it loaded.

https://www.epropulsion.com/spirit-1/

WOW, that looks like a really nice rib. I had not thought about the Aspen Carbon cat being hard on the boat, I can see where a rib would be a better choice in that area.

The ribs are much heavier and require a larger engine, that is the only downside I see with them. Which once on the water would be a benefit.

I'm not sold on electric yet. I'd need to look into that more. I think at this point I'd go with gas. I've been around gas boats and motorcycles my entire life, if handled properly I see no worries. But I can also see the benefits of electric.

I like your GB. Long ago we were the Ford, CAT and Cummins dealer in Newport Beach, CA. I know that boat like the back of my hand:)
Great vessels.

Thank you for your reply.

We also went with the Highfield 310 FCT and 20 hp Tohatsu. Very stable and unruffled. I took it from Tacoma Yacht Club to Lake Union this winter to get it mounted on the flybridge on our H43E. Not a splash in 2.5 hours on the Puget Sound. I also really like the aluminum bottom. Makes for a nice ride and I don’t worry scraping up onto the shoreline.

I looked into electric motors but didn’t find the right combo of range and speed I wanted at the time I bought it. Maybe next time.

I looked hard at the Aspen Cats but after talking with the Helmsman folks decided on a RIB in the off chance I smack the boat with the dinghy while lifting it onto the flybridge in inclement conditions.

Sounds like a great rib. As I mentioned in the other post I can see a reason for a rib over the Aspen CAT if lifting onto the flybridge often and in bad weather.

I'm with you on electric. Just not sold yet. But I'm open to it.

Kirk,
I did not own a Helmsman, but did look at them when boat shopping, and did end up with a Nordic Tug 37, which is not all that much different from a Helmsman 38.
You need to decide how you are going to use your dinghy most of the time, and/or how having a much slower top speed and shorter operating time will impact your needs when boating. Eg. do you anchor out a lot and at least sometimes take the dinghy on a long trip to the dock for shopping trips.
If your use will mainly be just "puttering" around a "smallish" anchorage exploring, then maybe an electric motor would be great! Other considerations to do with electric motors are: recharge time required (long generator run times or hours on solar; hours between uses while charging; diminishing capacity as the batteries age, etc.).
For us, we used an aluminum hull RIB (10.5') with an 8HP Yamaha 2 stroke (if not able to find a used 2 stroke, you would need a 9.9 or 15 HP (same size and weight (9.9 and 15)) to be able to plane the RIB with 2 people and a small load (groceries etc). That would make obtaining a top speed of 15-20 knots possible. We carried our dinghy on a manual Seawise davit on the swim grid (dinghy stored on it's side). Due to leaving the motor mounted, this made deploying and retrieving the dinghy very quick and easy (less than 5 minutes). This also means that you do not need to drill holes in the salon cabin roof for mounting a crane, tie down rings, etc. where future leaks are possible. A previous owner had used the roof of our Tug for this purpose, and we ended up spending several (over 5) thousand dollars getting that roof (core) repaired due to undetected (until our survey) leaks. Holes will eventually leak unless an owner is very careful (inspections) and rechaulks frequently enough.

For us, we used our dinghy for prawning often requiring fairly long runs from the anchorage at least 2 times per day, as well as for some longer distance runs for supplies, and longer exploring trips from the Tug. An electric motor would not have worked for us! For puttering around a small anchorage, we used either a kayak, standup board, or even rowed the dinghy.
Storing gas was not a problem, as we put the cans (stored in protective milk crates) up on the salon roof/top deck, tied to the rails and used covers to keep them out of the direct sun. The Seawise system also allowed for a propane bottle for the BBQ (for us a 10 lb but a 20 would probably fit) to be secured (and stored there) to the Seawise post on the swim grid.
There have been concerns with lithium battery fires occasionally occurring, and these are difficult to extinguish, burn very hot, and give off highly toxic products of combustion, so going electric is not without concerns either.
Again, determining how you will use your dinghy should help determine what you need. :)

Again, determining how you will use your dinghy should help determine what you need. :)

I too store my dinghy on the boat deck. Agree 100% with Firehoser75 - a lot depends on how you will use the dinghy.

We went with a higher end of a typical setup. AB 310 Aluminum RIB (which, BTW, is lighter than the Apex Cat noted above) with a 20hp Tohatsu. Nice setup - strong and fast. Also heavy and I worry it's a juicy target for theft.

We've found most of our use is from anchorage to shore. Pulling our dinghy up a beach above high tide is impossible (we'll put wheels on it). I think we'll add a small, easily inflated dink such as the TrueFit (similar to Takacat) and we already have a ln older Merc 3.5 HP. This is light enough to drag up a beach and not attractive to thieves. Would not be good for chop or long distances. But it inflates in about 10 mins so isn't much worse than launching our AB RIB. For surf landings (which we have not mastered and therefore avoid), the AB cannot be beat.

Really depends on how you'll use the dink.

Peter

Last edited:
Pardon the brief response as I am on an iPhone traveling on vacation. Saw this post and have a 38E myself with delivery in the coming months..so excited!

After spending what felt like an inordinate amount (ha!) of time researching this very subject, I decided to go with a SeaWise davit system, due to the perceived ease in which the dinghy can be deployed …something we will be doing often w the dogs and cruising grounds along East Coast and Florida Keys/Bahamas. We also love the space afforded to us on an open flybridge. Seawise is not an inexpensive; however, it just felt like I would regret not having this if I went with another davit system off the swim platform.

After evaluating a number of dinghies and outboards, I ended up going with a highfield 310 CL with a 20 hp Tohatsu… I believe the dinghy is 10.5 feet long which feels about the maximum length I want on a 38E.

I kept on wanting to purchase an E-propulsion, and came close several times over several months, but ultimately decided to go with gasoline outboard due to the cruising grounds with current/waves, and perceived length of dinghy rides. I think if I were sticking around harbors or anchorages, the E-propulsion would be almost a no-brainer.

Hope this helps!

I chose a 10ft apex with a 20hp. Its fun to run around with and easy to operate. It is kept on top so not in the way. we really use the swim step so wouldnt want anything using that space. You dont mention your davit or what weight limits you can handle .I would think that would drive your options.I have a hydraulic davit with plenty of capacity and swing away rails so loading and unloading is quick and easy and done by myself.

Helmsman 38 dink

I own a similar very vessel, MT 38 (1987) and have run many river miles and a few Gulf crossings. My 8’4” inflatable was too small My 310RIB is just a bit too long to suit me. I store it vertically using Weaver snap davits. My Honda 9.9 will scare you to death (tiller and 23mph). I’ll be dropping to a 9.4 and trying out the new Mercury electric.
Reasons being: Prefer not to carry gas on diesel vessel. Found the Honda intolerant of gas with ethanol. I am much happier with a Yamaha 2.5. Speed in the dink is just not needed as I cruise.
I suspect your transom width is similar and I find backing in challenging situations can get the 310 RIB a bit close. Plenty of room at lower speeds in a 9’4” (I believe Mercury builds one.
Sometimes less is more. (My 2 cents)

We are in the process of commissioning a new H38 sedan in Seattle. I don't care for dinghies on the swim platform unless you are doing the Great Loop and have no concerns about running in a nasty sea. So we are installing a 700#-capaity crane and stowing the dinghy on removable chocks on the upper deck. We will be using the boat between Seattle and Glacier Bay, and we do a lot of fishing, crabbing, and prawning. From experience, that means a hard dinghy with open space for working traps, power for a pot-hauler or downrigger, as big as you can fit onboard, and capable of long runs from the mothership. We definitely would have gone with a RIB were it not for fish spines, crab claws, and trap edges.
We've got a Whaly 370, 12'2", https://www.whaly.com/370, which is hard-shell and unsinkable (in theory). The 370 was the max length that would fit fore-aft on the upper deck. It has a 20hp Suzuki and an offset steering console aft, so the forward area is clear. Total weight is around 500# fully kitted with the outboard. Not something you drag up onto the beach, but then we don't do any swimming at those latitudes, being from Hawaii.

Good choice, the Aspen's are expensive and we really want the center console. Adds a lot to the price. I have zero interest in electric motors for dingy's just because we want to do a lot of exploring and use it daily without all the extra weight and charge time. I think it's a great option to consider for sure but just not something I personally care for. I know Aspen does not like E-motors at all and highly recommends gas outboards for the Aspen. Talk to Larry, he makes some great points on one verse the other but in a nut shell, weight to power, and charge times.

I chose a 10ft apex with a 20hp. Its fun to run around with and easy to operate. It is kept on top so not in the way. we really use the swim step so wouldnt want anything using that space. You dont mention your davit or what weight limits you can handle .I would think that would drive your options.I have a hydraulic davit with plenty of capacity and swing away rails so loading and unloading is quick and easy and done by myself.

Sounds like a great option.We are really liking the HighFeild.
I am with you on the swim step option. We use a swim step and I like to able to see. I just don't see much of a reason to store on the stern unless weight is a consideration. With the crane it's super easy. Maybe not as fat as the swim step. Although, then you have more weight up top. All things to be considered.

maybe some swim step guys can chime in with what they think are the benifits.

We opted for a Takacat with an electric motor for our Helmsman 38E. The Takacat runs on two pontoons, and is very lightweight. The knock on the Takacat is that it has an open bow, and the potential for getting wet. We haven’t experienced getting wet yet, but I am sure you could in rougher seas. The advantage is that it is light, can be disassembled for transport in about 7 to 10 minutes, and has higher speed for less HP. We have a 1 hp electric.

We have not installed davits yet, and probably won’t until we head for Florida. We decided against the Nick Jackson davits to store the dinghy up top, and plan to install removable davits on the swim platform. We look at a a dinghy as a use for minimal exploring and trips to shore from anchorages, but that reflects travel on the inland rivers and the gulf, with very occasional visits to the east coast of Florida and the Bahamas. The issue for us is determining what would work best for a non-standard dinghy bottom, on the 31” swim platform, that keeps the dinghy out of the wake. My first choice was a roll on, roll off type, but I think the wake would hit the dinghy, and the dinghy pontoons being lower than the bottom is the opposite of what you find with davit makes. My next choice would be lift up davits, with the boat up and against the stern wall. The Pivot up type would also work.

One thing that strikes me as I read through dinghy and davit discussions are the general differences between west and east coasters. On the east coast, you need air conditioning, which almost always means a generator. With a generator, electric propulsion is easier. The east coast has the intracoastal waterway with many marinas, close in restaurants, and the option to limit open ocean travel making for a somewhat more relaxed voyage. I haven’t boated in the PNW, but my impression is that the trips are a little more rugged, more ocean travel, and more “outback” type cruising, lengthier dinghy trips, and most boats don’t have generators. So a larger dinghy with a larger engine would make sense. These are generalities of course, and not one size fits all.

Last edited:
We are in the process of commissioning a new H38 sedan in Seattle. I don't care for dinghies on the swim platform unless you are doing the Great Loop and have no concerns about running in a nasty sea. So we are installing a 700#-capaity crane and stowing the dinghy on removable chocks on the upper deck. We will be using the boat between Seattle and Glacier Bay, and we do a lot of fishing, crabbing, and prawning. From experience, that means a hard dinghy with open space for working traps, power for a pot-hauler or downrigger, as big as you can fit onboard, and capable of long runs from the mothership. We definitely would have gone with a RIB were it not for fish spines, crab claws, and trap edges.
We've got a Whaly 370, 12'2", https://www.whaly.com/370, which is hard-shell and unsinkable (in theory). The 370 was the max length that would fit fore-aft on the upper deck. It has a 20hp Suzuki and an offset steering console aft, so the forward area is clear. Total weight is around 500# fully kitted with the outboard. Not something you drag up onto the beach, but then we don't do any swimming at those latitudes, being from Hawaii.

It's super interesting how we all use our vessels in different ways and hence I have many different needs. Such a great place to learn what we are all doing and why. 500# is some weight up on the deck for sure. I wonder how that effects the vessel in rough conditions?

We are looking at the Highfeild, 10.8 footer. Using a crane and stored up top. I really want a clear swim step for diving and just having a nice view. Don;t want to be looking out an don't be able to see the water, while underway and at anchor etc. Again, we all have our preferences and use in boats in different ways.

Sounds like you're going to be set up for fishing. Funny, I could not imagine fishing from a new Helmsmen. But I'll probably do a little. That back deck area just seems way to small. But it sounds like most of your will be from your larger dingy.

I'd love to see pics of your set-up when you're all done.

kirkart1@icloud.com

Thanks for your post.

We opted for a Takacat with an electric motor for our Helmsman 38E. The Takacat runs on two pontoons, and is very lightweight. The knock on the Takacat is that it has an open bow, and the potential for getting wet. We haven’t experienced getting wet yet, but I am sure you could in rougher seas. The advantage is that it is light, can be disassembled for transport in about 7 to 10 minutes, and has higher speed for less HP. We have a 1 hp electric.

We have not installed davits yet, and probably won’t until we head for Florida. We decided against the Nick Jackson davits to store the dinghy up top, and plan to install removable davits on the swim platform. We look at a a dinghy as a use for minimal exploring and trips to shore from anchorages, but that reflects travel on the inland rivers and the gulf, with very occasional visits to the east coast of Florida and the Bahamas. The issue for us is determining what would work best for a non-standard dinghy bottom, on the 31” swim platform, that keeps the dinghy out of the wake. My first choice was a roll on, roll off type, but I think the wake would hit the dinghy, and the dinghy pontoons being lower than the bottom is the opposite of what you find with davit makes. My next choice would be lift up davits, with the boat up and against the stern wall. The Pivot up type would also work.

One thing that strikes me as I read through dinghy and davit discussions are the general differences between west and east coasters. On the east coast, you need air conditioning, which almost always means a generator. With a generator, electric propulsion is easier. The east coast has the intracoastal waterway with many marinas, close in restaurants, and the option to limit open ocean travel making for a somewhat more relaxed voyage. I haven’t boated in the PNW, but my impression is that the trips are a little more rugged, more ocean travel, and more “outback” type cruising, lengthier dinghy trips, and most boats don’t have generators. So a larger dinghy with a larger engine would make sense. These are generalities of course, and not one size fits all.

There is such a difference in the places we all boat. And we all set them up accordingly. Sounds like you have found the perfect solution for you needs.

Keep us posted on how that works out.

We have boated a lot in the PNW ut are now looking to live aboard part time in SoCal. We used to have a yacht business there so looking forward to the much better year round weather. I will say we have never boating in a more interesting beautiful place than the PNW.

The boats and boaters up there are a different breed. Much more nautical feeling to me in more of a tough way. Cold water, lots of rain and rocky shores. Even most of the boats up there are much different than the locations.

Its a super cool place if you ever get the chance. You can always charter, that what we are thinking of doing when we want to boat there. So much to see and do.

The East coast looks very nice as well.

Anyway... happy boating. Just get out there and enjoy it:)

Back
Top Bottom