Old 02-02-2011, 05:56 PM   #1

Deciding which boat to buy

we're considering Nordic Tug 37 or Sabre 36 right now or any other "fast trawler"options. any comments
Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:02 PM   #2
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
RE: Deciding which boat to buy

Quote:
Susan wrote:

we're considering Nordic Tug 37 or Sabre 36 right now or any other "fast trawler"options. any comments
Hi Susan, welcome.* They are both good boats.* What is your cruising style?

Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:15 PM   #3
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin

Quote:
Susan wrote:We're considering Nordic Tug 37 or Sabre 36 right now or any other "fast trawler"options. any comments?
The Sabre 36 would be my choice although I am more familiar with the Sabre 40 &
42. Both boats are well made but the Sabre is much sexier. Whatever you decide, get a hard top.

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Wednesday 2nd of February 2011 08:16:53 PM
Attached Thumbnails
sabre 36.jpg   nordic tug 37.jpg  
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:16 PM   #4
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

SusanIf you like the Sabre, and you are on the East Coast, you might take a look at the plethora of custom lobster yachts in the used market. Not that either the Sabre or 37 Nordic wouldn't be great.
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:16 PM   #5
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411

If you really want to go fast(er), then get the Sabre. They are usually more properly powered for speed and they usually have a "speedier" shaped hull(read planing hull vs semi planing hull). Nordics are fine boats but you will cruise in the low teens and burn a LOT of fuel doing it. Sabres move throught the water slightly better so are more efficient at speed. And I know form follows function, but styling is also at issue here. Do you like the tug style or more the classic downeast style??? Nordics might have more beam so they likely have more interior volume.

Long story short, you can't lose with either. The NT37 happens to be my favorite of the NT lineup. It is big enough to have some room to spread out but not so big as to be intimidating on a daily basis. You just have to decide which is right for you. Also when considering the NT37, don't forget to take a look at the American Tug 34. Pretty much the same size boat....and potentially a better layout(IMO).

-- Edited by Baker on Wednesday 2nd of February 2011 08:18:53 PM
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:23 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Baker wrote:

If you really want to go fast(er), then get the Sabre. They are usually more properly powered for speed and they usually have a "speedier" shaped hull(read planing hull vs semi planing hull). Nordics are fine boats but you will cruise in the low teens and burn a LOT of fuel doing it. Sabres move throught the water slightly better so are more efficient at speed. And I know form follows function, but styling is also at issue here. Do you like the tug style or more the classic downeast style??? Nordics might have more beam so they likely have more interior volume.

Long story short, you can't lose with either. The NT37 happens to be my favorite of the NT lineup. It is big enough to have some room to spread out but not so big as to be intimidating on a daily basis. You just have to decide which is right for you. Also when considering the NT37, don't forget to take a look at the American Tug 34. Pretty much the same size boat....and potentially a better layout(IMO).

-- Edited by Baker on Wednesday 2nd of February 2011 08:18:53 PM
I have to agree with John on the American Tug 34. It has as much usable space as the NT37, so would be a good comparison. I do however prefer the exterior styling of the NT37 over the AT. I don't like any of the Nordics with the flybridge. It's out of place on that boat.

The other boat, if you are leaning toward the Sabre style would be the Eastbays.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:27 PM   #7
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

I sold a Sabre 36 last year....beautiful boat. Attached is some detailed fuel burn data specific to the 1996 model with Cat 3116's.
Attached Thumbnails
the luckiest fuel flow data cropped.jpg  
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:38 PM   #8

Looks like 16kts at 1.5mpg is your sweet spot. You would be very hard pressed to do that in the Nordic. In fact, 16kts would likely be WOT...if that. The NTs just struggle a bit for me to think of them as a planing cruiser. They will plane, but you will pay in fuel and maintenance and engine life.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Carey wrote:

I don't like any of the Nordics with the flybridge. It's out of place on that boat.
The other boat, if you are leaning toward the Sabre style would be the Eastbays.

Come on Carey, check out this NT37 with a flybridge....it increases the useability of the boat and I do think it ADDS to the appearance of the boat....simply an opinion on my part.

ANd also while you are in that 36ft express class, take a look at the Island Packet 36s....they didn't sell too well but they are extremely well built and look like a good competitor to the Sabre. *Below is a link to an IP36 for under 200k with Yanmar power. *If you are familiar with IP, they do it right. *They came stock with dueling Stidd helm chairs. *Anyway, the link below is a steal if you ask me.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=11384&url=

-- Edited by Baker on Wednesday 2nd of February 2011 08:51:07 PM
Attached Thumbnails
nt37.jpg  
Old 02-02-2011, 07:02 PM   #10
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Hey guys, Sabre made 3 types of 36' boats.* The express, the sedan usually with a flybridge, and the double cabin fast trawler.

We don't know which one is under consideration.* They are 3 boats with totally different personalities.* Presently there is no 36' that I know of in the line.* The 36 express moved up to the 38' hardtop express.* The sedan and fast trawler are no longer being offered.
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:05 PM   #11
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

Well Baker and I seem to both like the 36 express so I think we both agree that is the boat she should buy!
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:41 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Baker wrote:Carey wrote:I don't like any of the Nordics with the flybridge. It's out of place on that boat.
Come on Carey, check out this NT37 with a flybridge....it increases the useability of the boat and I do think it ADDS to the appearance of the boat....simply an opinion on my part.

-- Edited by Baker on Wednesday 2nd of February 2011 08:51:07 PMSorry John. It offends my design sensibilities. Each to his own, but for me, no. Part of it is that it becomes less traditional looking, IMHO.*

Old 02-03-2011, 02:58 AM   #13
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl

I also think the flybridge is out of place on this boat.
I would also think twice before buying any boat with a 3116 Cat- its reputation preceeds it. Many have proved to be nightmares. Other Cat models Purr.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:13 AM   #14
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

Susan,
I just sent you a private message
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:46 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Carey wrote:I don't like any of the Nordics with the flybridge. It's out of place on that boat.
Ditto!

Old 02-03-2011, 07:03 AM   #16

I guess the flybridge serves quite a decent function at a VERY low aesthetic cost(none in my opinion). Most all of you that dislike it are West Coast boaters. I believe flybridges to be a necessity in tropical climes. Walt, if I had your boat down here I would be driving around with the generator on and the AC blowing....that or you would find the boat adrift with nothing but bleached bones on board........heaven forbid I am going 8kts with an 8kt tailwind(ie NO relative wind). It is also why I chose an express version of the Pilot versus a hard top. I personally think the hardtop is a better looking boat(I think all sedans are better looking than their express counterparts).....but.... You simply cannot get enough ventilation and a hard top definitely retards valueable ventilation regardless of how many ports and windows. Just a thought for the OP if she is in the sun belt.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:10 AM   #17
Guru

John:*
I agree with your comments about driving the "hard top' with the A/C on. Sometimes I fail to put myself in the shoes of the writer (location) and base my opinions on my own climate, which is "perfect" for a hard top sedan.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:13 AM   #18
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea

Even from the perspective of a few Nordic owners I spoken to, Nordics with Fly Bridges are vastly more versatile with that added dimension, albeit somewhat of a style break from the traditional. *I *When comparing the 36 Sabre, I thought you'd be speaking more of the sedan or aft-cabin version than the express. *I like both, and I think the layouts are about as good as you can do with that space. *I don't like 3116's though, and the majority of them I've seen had this engine. *I think the American Tug 34 is a good candidate too, and the fly-bridge looks good on it. *All these boats were on my initial list of mono-hull considerations and would have greatly increased the cruising range for weekend outings, for example. *But the fuel costs for my type of use drove me toward power-cats and full displacement mono-hulls. *Good luck with your search.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:19 AM   #19
Guru

I'm contemplating changing my name to "Susan." I've never seen so many replies in such a short amount of time!
Old 02-03-2011, 10:23 AM   #20

Thanks for your input.* Going fast is not necessarily the first point of importance.* But, just to have that capability, I guess. The Nordic has two side doors which seems attractive, especially without the flybridge. Also, has one engine vs. two - possibly more economical.* The Sabre flybridge 36, though, does not have a guest stateroom except for the salon dinette bunk.* Trade-offs to weigh.*

Does anyone think it is imperative to have a flybridge?* We will be cruising in the Northwest.
Susan is offline   Reply With Quote