Dear Diary - Weebles will splash soon.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looking good!

Peter- can't wait to see pictures of Weebles in the "having a blast cruising" state. Or at least the splash! Would imagine your work is similar to our house remodel. Contractor says completion on one date, but reality proves significantly different.

Dear Diary – January 12th 2023. Yesterday was a fairly good day with only a small step backwards. The fairing blocks for the zincs were fabricated out of spare GPO3 material and glassed in-place. When the zincs were re-installed and bolts tightened, one pulled right through! Was that more shoddy workmanship from the previous crew or something else? I don’t know – but will replace all four of the studs. Minor item, but just amazing how many small things come up.

Work is mostly on the punch list right now, and there is focus. I wanted another coat of paint in the engine room and bilges; and there are some old holes in storage spaces that need cleaned-up and covered.

Serafin, the canvas worker, finished the window screens which look nice. I opted for Solstis which is 86% coverage. It’s a bit more see-through than I thought it would be, but overall a good medium of ventilation/breathability and privacy. At night, will require interior shades drawn for privacy, at least in a marina.

I extended my apartment through the end of the month though hopefully will not need the last week of it. But at $800/mo, seemed like a reasonable cost to reduce stress a bit.

Today is drive-to-San Diego day. My old Thompson Mini-Walker sewing machine is not running quite right. I had it shipped from Florida to San Diego and honestly, much as I though I had packed it properly, I had not. So I will drop it off to a sewing machine hospital for a week of convalescence. Also other parts including bronze studs for zinc mounting (McMaster).

Peter

PICTURES:
1. Window Covers. Turned out very nicely - used 86% Solstis brand fabric, a competing product to Pfifertex or Textaline. Also used PTFE thread which is supposedly a lifetime thread.
Exterior Window Solar Screens.jpg

2. Fiddles for outdoor cushions. These will make more sense to viewers once installed, but mount on edge of bench to retain cushions. Old ones were mahogany. I opted for GPO3 strips painted. Beneath them is the hatch above the companionway ladder to flybridge.
Fiddles for outdoor benches.jpg

3. Sewing Machine.
I bought this from Sailrite over 25 years ago when they were just getting started and I was young and svelte. The top piece broke when I shipped it a couple months ago and is now only available in copper color so I have a two-tone machine.
Thompson Mini Walker.jpg

4. Diner food in Mexico. To my thinking, Mexico is 2-3 generations behind the US. When I was a kid (born 1961) growing up in New Jersey, diners were pretty common. They seem to have partially given way to chains. The Mexican version of a diner is something like this lunch - a choice of a few different main dishes (this is a beef ranchero of some sort - stewed chicken or machacas was another) served with a side of chilaquiles and refritos with tortillos. Around $5.50 USD. I also had a fresh squeezed grapefruit juice which is the real reason I had lunch here. They squeeze each glass of juice to order!
Mexican Diner Lunch.jpg

Peter- can't wait to see pictures of Weebles in the "having a blast cruising" state. Or at least the splash! Would imagine your work is similar to our house remodel. Contractor says completion on one date, but reality proves significantly different.

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement. I have a slightly conflicted personality. In most ways, I'm a really patient person. But I also don't like to linger - waiting is hard for me.

Peter

Make no mistake about it, boat craftsman are not production workers or engineers, they are artistic talented passionate sensitive people doing art work. They are a rare and they are like herding cats. You throw in schedules and you disrupt their emotional thought processes needed to connect with their work.
I am one of those types and the most effective way to speed them up is to stroke their ego. You stroke their ego and they will bend over backwards to please you. They are like ropes or chains, you can pull them anywhere you want them to go but you cannot push them and get quality results.

Pierre I love this quote and with due apologies to you I am definitely going to steal it!
~A

Peter, Have you confirmed that the zincs actually connect to the bonding system inside the hull? And before anyone asks, yes I have run into this before:facepalm:

Peter, Have you confirmed that the zincs actually connect to the bonding system inside the hull? And before anyone asks, yes I have run into this before:facepalm:
Right now, they are not because that has not been done yet. I am down to two thru-hulls below waterline. Running bonding wire is on the final checklist for electrician.

Thanks for the reminder. I worry about missing stuff.

Peter

Dear Diary – January 12th 2023.
Sewing Machine.[/B] I bought this from Sailrite over 25 years ago when they were just getting started and I was young and svelte. The top piece broke when I shipped it a couple months ago and is now only available in copper color so I have a two-tone machine.

They don't even make your color anymore. They make Blue (LSZ) and 'red' (LS) and Green (Leather). The difference between the LS and LSZ is the LS does 'Line Stitch' only, while the LSZ does both Line Stitch and Zig-Zag stitching. The models are all the same otherwise.

So it looks like they only had an LS top, and you have the worlds first two-tone sailrite.

Dear Diary – January 16th 2023. Friday was “San Diego Day” where I picked up parts and dropped off my sewing machine for repair. I was back at the yard around 4pm to drop parts, mostly fasteners to re-install the zinc bolts. I ordered the wrong size bronze nuts from McMaster but managed to find the right size at a bolt supplier near National City, south of San Diego. Whew….

I also picked up 1/4" gas plumbing parts for the propane valve providing a tee for a grill (or more likely, a Blackstone flat-top). Unfortunately, I forgot one fitting so install won't be finalized. Small delay.

Rain expected Monday and Tuesday. Some paint touch-up has already begun, but won’t be able to be finished until the end of the week. I’ll talk to Guillermo Monday to see if we’re still on track to splash a week from Monday…….fingers crossed.

Peter

PICTURES:

1. Line Deflector - Stabilizers. Minor step backward - the previous workman did not install these properly - the gap is too great and risks capturing stray line or kelp vs deflecting it. These will be moved to within 1/2-inch of the fin.
Fin Line Deflector.jpg

2. Splicing and Rigging. There's a surprising amount of line work and rigging to do. I did the rigging for flopper stoppers a week or so ago. I also made a line to hoist the dinghy. Turns out a 300-foot reel of Polyester double braid is fairly inexpensive (HERE) - less expensive than having a 35-foot 'halyard' spliced. Having a single engine and headed to remote locations, I opted for a Burke Seabrake drift anchor (HERE) for around $275 USD, delivered. And it's fairly compact so easy to stow. But I need something that resembles arope anchor rode which I spliced-up instead of buying premaide. Chain and shackles from US Stainless(HERE). Next will be rigging for dinghy tow bridle, painter, anchor, etc. After a 20+year break from splicing, I'm back to my mediocre ability.
Line Splice.jpg

3. Seat Fiddles & Grill Station. These were painted the same dark grey as the caprails and are being installed.
Seat Fiddles.jpg
Petes Grill Station Dry Fit.jpg

4. Freeing ports. Like all W36 sedans, Weebles had two pretty small freeing ports compared to the expansive aft deck. I had two more added which while not adequate, will be a definite improvement. The problem is that when she rocks in open water, she tends to ship water. I used to have covers of them which I made from an old fender. But for this remodel, I opted to go with doors. These have been fabricated but not yet installed. Should be later this week.
Freeing Port before covers.jpg

5. Patching holes and final touch-up prior to paint. Weebles was actually painted by the previous workers (Alexseal). They did a lot of work and much of it was okay, but towards the end they missed a lot of small stuff. Shown in this picture is Israel patching some of the small holes from old snaps. This is Day 3 of that work.
Israel Filling Holes.jpg
Not all the patch/repair was due to prior workmanship. This hole is being patched - it was an errantly placed drain for the A/C that was too high and relocated to the lower right.
Thru-Hole Patched.jpg

6. Food. Friday nights are typically my night out on the town. Wendlandt Tasting Room is a popular bar from the namesake brewery that won Mexico's #1 best beer a couple years ago. This is a Marlin ceviche which is superb. 80-pesos, around $4.25 USD.
Marlin Ceviche.jpg
Brunch Saturday was Marcello's that serve the fanciest chillaguilles I've had - this one happens to be borrego (lamb). 185-pesos ($10 USD). 'Last Meal' worthy....
Marcello Chilaquilles.jpg

Last edited:
That food looks like I need to plan a trip to Mexico one of these days!

That two-tone Sailrite will HAVE to sew better. Unique, and a thing of beauty.

Tuesday, January 17th. More leaks. Rained hard yesterday and there was a pretty good pool of water in the engine room (see pic - outboard of stringer on port side). Alberto did some sleuthing and believes it came from the flybridge and ran down a wiring chase. Seems less likely to me, but water can be incredibly sneaky in the path it takes. And it did rain pretty hard. And frankly, Alberto is pretty good with solving problems.

The one place left where the prior work was not corrected are the connections of the hard top to the flybridge. Alberto believes that is the source, but I wonder if it really is or if it's just that we're both so used to finding BS workmanship that we are ignoring something else. Regardless, won't hurt to bed the fittings better. The effort will be in lifting the hard top, not because it's heavy but because the lower posts are a bit integral to the venturi screen structure.

Peter

PICTURES:

1. Tell-tale pool in Engine Room.
Water in ER outboard port stringer.jpg

2. Source? Fittings on Flybridge? The venturi screen fittings were already re-bedded. But the larger posts were not due to difficulty in doing so. Wrong choice - they need to be. Also, I have to wonder about the Morse engine controls as water would have an easy path down those cables into the Engine Room (NOTE - these were installed by current team, not the prior team).
Hard Top Fittings.jpg

Noticed rust stains just below a few of the thru hulls. Cause?

Good catch - it's actually dirt that has washed off the decks as I added several deck-drains to keep water from running to back deck. Baja is an arid climate, and Ensenada is a good sized city of 300k or so. To say the place is dusty is an understatement. Compounds the normal dirtiness of boatyards.

Peter

Last edited:
January 18th 2023. Will Weebles launch next week? Rained hard the night before last and into yesterday morning with on and off showers all day. That was included in the time sequence Guillermo and I discussed last week that landed on a target date of next Monday for launch. Honestly, next Monday seems aggressive, but next week seems reasonable.

My typical routine is to stop by the boat around 8:30AM and again after lunch to answer any questions. Now, I'd be perfectly happy hanging around the boatyard but I get in the way and I distract the team. Plus they are comfortable pinging me via WhatsApp if anything comes up. Yesterday morning I was a gopher out trying to find some small SS fasteners to mount the scupper covers. Whatever it takes to keep the guys working.....

I think I'll head to San Diego tomorrow. All my fuel - 75 gals of it - was taken off Weebles and is sitting in 5-gal buckets. The fuel tans were new and Guillermo suggested the fuel be filtered so I ordered a Goldenrod watertrap filter from McMaster. Will give me a chance to calibrate the sight tubes on the tanks. And I also need to pickup another D-Ring hatch pull handle to replace one that has gone missing (no surprise, lots of small parts).

Peter

PICTURES:

1. Port side Hull Gate Repair. Willard 36's came with a starboard side hull-gate. I had one added to the port side because my home berth in Florida configuration is one sided. And frankly, for skilled workers, fiberglass work is pretty fast. The "Hack Team" originally did the hull gate modification but did a lousy job of fitting it. Pictures show Jorge cleaning-up the fit so the door looks cleaner and operates without interference.
Hull Gate Repair.jpg
Jorge and Scupper Cover.jpg

2. Scupper Covers dry-fit. As mentioned yesterday, I had two additional freeing ports (scuppers?) installed. These ports are fairly close to the waterline and can easily ship water. I fabricated these covers from GPO3 fiberglass sheets, and 316 SS hinges from McMaster. I will fabricate bungee material to bias the doors in the closed position.
Scupper Covers.jpg
Scupper Cover Open.jpg

3. Final paint of flybridge cowl, hatches, and hatch-boards. The large-ish chunk of irregularly shaped fiberglass is the cowling that fits beneath the hardtop to enclose the wiring (including main router). Felipe shown fitting a pull to a lazarette hatch. And v-berth hatch boards.
Overhead Cowl - Flybridge.jpg
Hatch Cover Handle Install.jpg
Hatch boards for beneath v-berth.jpg

4. Street scenes in Ensenada. The first picture is "Tornillos Alvarado." Literal translation "Alvarado's Screws." Alberto needed #6 panhead screws to mount the small padeye on the inside of the scupper door. Ensenada is still like the US of 1950's and 1960's where there are small stores with highly focused goods. Fastener shop being one.
Tornillos Alvarado.jpg

And then there is the flooding.......look closely at the picture to see a manhole cover in the foreground and an upright tire 30-feet behind it, in the middle of the intersection. The upright tire marks an open manhole cover, but the cover in the foreground is from yet another open manhole. This is normal in Mexico yet would make the local news in the US. Maybe we are a bit too soft? Streets in Ensenada are a bit of an obstacle course.....
Flooding in street.jpg
Manhole Cover Close-up.jpg

Thursday, January 19th. Getting Closer.....

Yesterday was a good day. The picture of a blob beneath a gigantic grey tarp is a really, really good sign - it means final painting is being prepped. I should have taken a picture of the sign at base of ladder warning no shoes aboard - that sign used to be on the door into the cabin. Now, the whole boat is Juan's 'clean zone.'

Today I'll run to San Diego. I have several items to pickup at my PO box, a shipment to make, some paint to pickup for Guillermo, and a Costco run (there's a Costco in Ensenada, but they don't carry the granola I prefer).

Getting closer.......

Peter

Pictures:

1. Tarped for painting. As boring as this is as a picture, it's super exciting for me - means Weebles is within a few days of being ready for launch. There will be a fair amount of buffing afterwards. For a full paint job, the yard will setup scaffolding and plastic wrap. For this heavy touch-up, they will setup a less complicated system. Interestingly, Baja Naval, a less rustic yard, setup a massive spray booth several years ago to paint boats. They abandoned it in short order and opted for a scaffolding system, albeit a fancier one based on a French design.
Install of tarp.jpg
Big Gray Tarp.jpg

2. Cowl beneath hard-top. Felipe is a very good fiberglass guy. The fit is pretty good and covers the wiring and Peplink router nicely. Quite the transformation in apearance.
Cowl on flybridge.jpg

3. Re-bed flybridge hardware. The heavy rain from a couple days ago revealed another leak curtousy of the Hack Team. Turns out the large posts supporting the flybridge didn't even have 'make-believe' silicone around the base - zero, nada, nyit caulking or bedding material of any kind. Not surprised, but stilll....Weebles has a stainless steel breast plate at the stem beneath the anchor roller. I have asked Alberto to remove and bed it. It's the last item for re-bedding. The La Costa team has re-bed approximately 50 deck fittings that the Hack Team installed. None were even close to being properly bedded. Something to think about for anyone thinking about a major refit....
Rebed of posts.jpg

Peter, a lot of your posts are made between 4:00 and 6:30 AM! Are you OK?

January 18th 2023. Will Weebles launch next week? The upright tire marks an open manhole cover, but the cover in the foreground is from yet another open manhole. This is normal in Mexico yet would make the local news in the US. Maybe we are a bit too soft? Streets in Ensenada are a bit of an obstacle course.....

Mexico is the land of personal responsibility. Step in the big sidewalk hole and get injured? You should have been paying attention. Scary but somehow empowering. In the US, everybody is a victim of somebody else's negligence.

Peter, a lot of your posts are made between 4:00 and 6:30 AM! Are you OK?

I'm great - if only the rest of world would get on a better schedule!!! I am by nature an early riser. Plus, figured the Weebles saga would be good reading over morning coffee for diehard TF'ers.

Years ago when I lived on Weebles in San Francisco, I worked for a New Jersey based company. I was a remote worker (yes, they existed back then). So I would start my day around 5AM. By 2PM I was done and would head out sailing with friends. Halcyon days.

Over the last 10-years, I had many UK/Dutch clients and just found it matched my natural rhythms well. I could almost match their hours.

Peter

There is a bit more to unpack here. First pertains to journeyman-level tradesmen and their approach to their craft. Second is to the nature of project management. Third, general management philosophy. Finally, how this all plays out against dual axises of boatyard and Mexico.

Fine craftsman. Up-thread, I posted a YouTube showing a $3m restoration of a classic Nate Herreschoff one design. Done in Maine by a very reputable yard with every imaginable tool and shop facilities. Definitely highly skilled and exacting boatwrights. Definitely rare. And expensive. And not what I was looking for even if it was available. The level of skill I have retained is definitely adequate for my purposes, but if I had a Nordhavn with fine joiner work, I would not let them do the work if for no other reason but they simply do not have the tools to do such work (not boat related, but below is a cool video showing very tight tolerance joints).

Project Management. PM was a big part of my professional career in management consulting where I specialized in very large IT transformation projects. I managed projects, but was not a project manager if that makes sense. As a category, PM is perhaps the most misunderstood role, certainly in IT. Why? Because the perception is that it is primarily a scheduler and doesn't need to know all the other roles. The best PMs have a much deeper understanding of the project. My clients assigned their best and brightest to the projects I worked and yet I'd say about 5%-10% of them were decent PMs. But the ones that were good were worth their weight in gold. I just don't think that's a reasonable expectation at most boatyards (see: $3m restoration where the PM is clearly knowledgeable on all aspects).

Management Philosophy - near/dear to me as I had an inside view of so many large companies during my career. Several years ago I read the results of a study that compared charismatic leaders vs non-charismatic leaders. Steve Jobs, Lee Iacocca being the charismatic types of the day (think: Elon Musk these days). Although there were certainly examples of strong leaders doing exceptional work, what the study found was a dominant thread of under-performance. The leader essentially blocked-out the sun in meetings so they did not get the best collective wisdom of the team. My takeaway was to end more sentances with question marks than exclamation points.

Another example of management philosophy. I don't know the number today, but 20-years ago the "happiness" income was $75k/year, meaning that once you had that type of income, you could meet your general financial obligations and have a bit leftover for discretionary spending. Now, leaving the number aside, it makes sense to look at that type of threshold. How does this factor into management philosophy? There is a point where many/most people work for other reasons than just money. Not to say money is not important - this is America and it's how we keep score. But if you really want the best out of people, you need to motivate other sectors of their core being. Provide a sense of achievement. In a nutshell, how do you get people 'vested' in their work? Some of the most powerful statements in the professional work environment are "What is your best thinking?" Or "What's the right thing to do here?" Carrots vs sticks.

All of the above needs to adapt to local culture and custom - as the fly fishermen like to say, "Match the hatch." Again, reverting back to my management consulting days, you have to do that in professional life. I once rolled-off a project with Morgan Stanley in mid-town Manhattan onto a project with a subsidiary of McDonalds in the Chicago area where I immediately realized my sharp-elbowed approach needed refining. And then to Nvidia in Silicon valley where everyone wants a seat at the table. Doing work in Mexico (or any other place) is no different.

In the end, I find myself keeping the end in mind. I'm willing to lose a couple battles as long as the overall project is moving in a roughly forward motion. With exception of hull and engine, Weebles is essentially a new boat. The term 'refit' is used a lot on forums like this but has a lot of different meanings of depth and breadth of work (similar to "rebuilt engine"). When done, I'll call Weebles a 1970/2023 Willard 36.

If you've made it this far into this post, thanks for hanging with me.

Peter

Here is a YouTube video on some very fine woodworking joinerwork. This is not what you'll find in most boatyards, but you will find it in the better builder's yards

Peter - not to take this off-topic, but I just have to say that post was one of the better, and unexpected things I have read today. I had gotten behind, and was trying to catch up on your progress. As a retired, executive level government employee, I found myself smiling and nodding in regards to many of your thoughts on project management as well as managing and motivating workers.

Well written.

Friday, January 20th 2023. Weebles gets painted today!. Yesterday was "San Diego" day which is always a long day. Not much in the way of pictures except yet another repair of deficient work from the Hack Team, but I'll leave description to below - today will be a major step in getting Weebles in the water: final exterior painting.

Honestly, I'm not sure exactly what 'final painting' entails. She's had a number of touch-ups along the way. The Hack Team originally painted Weebles and to some extent did an okay job - a C+ or so (demerits for sags and blemishes). The issue was so much of their fiberglass work had to be repaired - the entire caprail, much of the top deck, and the portside hull gate I recently mentioned, the freezer on the aft-deck had not been installed, many small holes had not been filled, etc. Add that to a year of workmen tromping around Weebles and she definitely needs freshening.

Peter

PICTURES:

1. Breast Plate. This is a stainless steel protective plate to keep the anchor from hitting the hull. My old one was a bit dinged-up due to previous owner using a Danforth that didn't fit well. So I had the Hack Team replace it. I seem to recall they had to do it twice - never occured to me to specify thickness. Because every single fastener the Hack Team touched was not properly bedded, I wanted this removed and rebedded. Turns out my instincts were correct - and then some. Zero bedding compound of any sort (well, they did put a small bead of silicone around the perimeter). I recall they had to do it twice - and you can clearly see a double set of holes unfilled. And the plate itself was way too thin - 26-gauge (less than what a common kitchen sink uses). So was ornamental only. Alberto will make a new one from 10-gauge plate.
Old Breast Plate.jpg

what? i am on my second cup of coffee and no updates yet:)

what? i am on my second cup of coffee and no updates yet:)

Cute.....

Saturday, January 21st

I'm headed to the Yard in a few minutes. Not much of note going on, though they are hauling an 82-foot McQueen motoryacht which is wood. The owner brought it down from SoCal and I guess this is the haul of last resort- no one will haul a wood boat these days, at least in SoCal. Especially that size.

Barring any unforseen happenings, Weebles will definitely be ready to launch next Wednesday or so. I may delay launch for a couple days to allow the electrician to install some Victron equipment (Cerbo) and a couple other minor items. I did not want him holding-up any work with the other work going on that was focused on launch.

Yesterday was painting day so Weebles is effectively off-limits except for Jorge and his helper. Attached are a couple pictures - one is difficult to understand so I pointed out Jorge.
Paint Day 1.jpg
Jorge Painting.jpg

Friday has become Clam Chowder ("crema de almeja") day. Guillermo introduced me to a 'loncheria' that only does seafood (mariscos). It's about 2-blocks off the tourist street which apparently too far for them to walk. Too bad - food is fantastic. These pictures are from a week ago - they also make a killer 'caldo de mariscos' fish soup. They make a large pot of broth each day. For each serving, the woman ladles enough into a small sauce pan, then adds tuna, shrimp, and octopus. If two people order, two small pots.
Pex Urbano.jpg
Pez Urbano 2.jpg

Other scenes in the boatyard. This aluminum Chris Craft (Connie?) is getting ready to be painted by the guys who I used last year (the Hack Team). I understand they are having trouble finding a painter. Rumor has it their best lead has some experience refinishing furniture.......should be interesting. Wish I could give the owner the "Ghost of Christmas Future" talk.
Chris Craft Connie - Needs a Painter.jpg

Aluminum hull Chris Craft would be a Roamer, likely late 60s or 70s (earlier models were mostly steel).

Sunday, January 22nd. Wooden Boat Lift (aka I will never own a large wooden boat).

For those reading and expecting an update on Weebles from yesterday (Saturday - in Mexico, Saturday is a workday from 8AM-2PM), there isn't one which was expected. On Monday, the last of the cabin-sides will be sprayed and the non-skid started. Should finish Tuesday or Wednesday. I have a list of stuff for the electrician to do so will keep her in the yard for an extra couple days.

But there were interesting events yesterday, just not involving Weebles, but rather a 1981 McQueen 84-foot motoryacht, an Ed Monk Sr design built in wood. Apparently McQueen didn't transition to fiberglass until 1984. There happens to be a sistership to the one that was hauled yesterday on Yachtworld listed HERE. I love these old-school motoryachts, just not in wood.

About a year ago, the owner of the boatyard purchased a second-hand 150-ton Travel Lift which arrived in pieces on 3 flatbed semi trucks. It took them about 4-months to get it re-assembled and running. So they can now haul bigger boats - limitation is beam-width as their ways are narrow - designed for the smaller Lift. In the next year or so, they will widen the concrete ways but for now, about 19-foot is as wide as they can lift. And even that they will do only on a high tide where the boat's widest beam floats above the ways.

Recall, I had lunch with Guillermo on Friday (excellent clam chowder!!!). He was definitely concerned about hauling this boat. He didn't know the owner and the boat was wood. His concern was twofold. First he didn't know the condition. Second, abandonment - that the boat would need more repair than it was worth and the owner would simply walk away.

From Guillermo's telling, the owner was jammed-up. They wanted a bottom job and the hull painted but could not find a yard that would haul a wooden boat of that size (I guess Guillermo is not the only one with wood-boat-fears). The owners had only recently purchased the boat and would agree to a waiver and a hefty deposit, so the lift was scheduled for yesterday morning on the high tide.

PICTURES:

1. McQueen towed in. I don't know why it was towed vs under its own power. There is one SeaTow/BoatUS boat nearby. Out of view is a second boat, a Panga from Juanito's sport fishing setup on the Malecon. The boat had it's generator running and operated the bow-thruster along the way. To my eyes, she looked a bit low in the water - I wondered if she had leaks?
SeaTow and McQueen.jpg

2. Ready for lift. Slow-forward 90-minutes or so to fix the Travel Lift. Note how little room there is between the boat and the concrete bunkers.
McQueen readied for Travel Lift.jpg

3. McQueen is out of water. It's hard to really tell how big this boat is. But she's a whopper.
McQueen out of water.jpg

Note the kelp on the stabilizer fins. "Kelp Cutters" are now routinely installed (they don't cut the kelp or lines, but deflect them so the obstruction slides down the fin vs wedged between the hull and fin).
Why kelp cutters are needed.jpg

4. Condition - and some issues. I first noticed that some of the caulking needs to be redone. I asked if there was a survey - he said he only saw one from 2019, which seemed odd if the owners had only recently purchased. But likely there is information not available to me as a simple gadfly.
Caulking popping out.jpg

More serious issue didn't arise until the boat sat in the slings for a half-hour. The lift was positioned so the aft sling was beneath the motor and saddle tanks, just forward of the shaft penetrations. I can tell you the planks along the chine log (the fore-aft timber that transitions the vertical hull planks to the bottom planks on a full-chine boat such as the McQueen - or GB for that matter) were soft in several places. Clearly, the weight of the boat and the soft wood crushed the chine. Time will tell whether it is just the planking or whether the chine log itself was damaged. There are not many marine railway lifts left anymore, but ideally, this boat should have been lifted on a railway carriage, not a Travel Lift.
Houston we have a problem.jpg

5. Birria Tacos for Lunch. I was hungry and decided to try a new place for an early lunch. Birria is stewed meat (beef, lamb, goat, sometimes pork). It's often served as bowl of the stewed meat with broth on the side. Ordered as a taco, it's the Mexican equivelent of a French-Dip sandwich. Taco gets dunked in the consume (broth - styrofoam cup). It's a great dish, and this was a decent version for about $5 with tax and tip.
Birria Tacos.jpg

Lifting wood hulls with a travel lift can be tough. It's sensitive to where you lift, how long it's in the slings, etc. Ideally you want to get it blocked fairly quickly and not lift with full tanks. Even then, as you saw, if the hull has issues, they're likely to show up. But if an appropriate number of slings are used and the placement is good, issues like that are typically stuff that needs to be fixed regardless.

I remember seeing an old wooden boat hauled on the marine railway at Brewerton's along the Erie Canal. The whole boat looked like a limp noodle on the blocking.

Did they block it? I think Guillermo would be smart to leave it in the slings and give the guy 36 hours before relaunch. Or put it right back in and give him a refund.

Did they block it? I think Guillermo would be smart to leave it in the slings and give the guy 36 hours before relaunch. Or put it right back in and give him a refund.
I had a similar thought. I could see the owner and his wife (gringos) from a distance. Guillermo said they were not overly surprised that some work would needed.

There is some sort of back story here that I may never know. The boat was apparently just purchased yet it doesn't sound like there is a recent survey, though could be it's just none of my business. Also, if you look at the pictures again, bottom came up extraordinarily clean - no swirl marks from a recent diver. Even the running gear is clean. Why? Just seems like there are a couple small yellow flags. But maybe thats just the way it works with wooden boats.

Peter

Back
Top Bottom