DD 471 and 671 heads 2 or 4 valve

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Open-d

Does anyone know whether the 4 and 6-71 DD engines installed in the Hatteras LRC circa 1980 had 2 or 4-valve heads in the 65' and 58' models.

Here is a sample from a listing

Engine Model: GM 6-71
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Hours: 2350
Propeller: 3 blade propeller
Drive Type: Direct Drive
Engine Power: 225 HP

Last edited:
I don't think I've seen any DD in a Hatt that was 2V. At 225hp it will be a 4V. Easy enough to verify, just lift up the rocker cover.

I don't think I've seen any DD in a Hatt that was 2V. At 225hp it will be a 4V. Easy enough to verify, just lift up the rocker cover.
Thanks. Unfortunately, I don't have access to any of these engines at this time.

If you are going to operate as a sport fish the 4 valve extra bit of power might be fine, but as a trawler ,, displacement cruiser , why would you care?

If you are going to operate as a sport fish the 4 valve extra bit of power might be fine, but as a trawler ,, displacement cruiser , why would you care?

I think it was mentioned in one of the other threads that the 4V Detroits are a little more fuel efficient than the 2V ones. So given a choice, I'd so no reason not to take the 4V.

I think it was mentioned in one of the other threads that the 4V Detroits are a little more fuel efficient than the 2V ones. So given a choice, I'd so no reason not to take the 4V.
I would prefer he 4V over 2V heads. If I would want to up the power on the engines, the 2V are a bit limiting. From what I can tell, most of the later engines had 4V.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom