Curious About My Cabinetry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

R. Bush

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
TBIDO
Vessel Make
Island Gypsy 32
My 32 ft. trawler has a line of drawers under the galley sink; except for the very top spot which has a simple blank drawer front hinging downward. I get the reason for this: there isn't enough room for a drawer in the top position because of the sink.

When I purchased the boat it had a bunch of electrical wiring behind the false drawer front; most of which I have removed due to safety concerns and the fact that it was a kluge at best. I was just wondering if anyone can tell me what was originally behind "door number 1"? I can't believe those wily boat builders in Taiwan would let that premium; albeit small; space go to waste.

Just curious. Have been wondering about this for a long time. Way too much time on my hands over the winter I guess.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Attachments

• Drawers1.jpg
    Drawers1.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 25
  • Drawers2.jpg
    Drawers2.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 29
Greetings,
Mr. RB. Could easily be that the drawer "box" cabinet could have been used in different locations on different boats and might have that missing drawer in a different application. Need room for a sink? Leave out top drawer "guts".

Last edited:
If not needed for access, I would attach a small bin behind it and a stop so you could at least store some stuff there.

Wasn't on a boat, but in our house when I was growing up. Had a similar bottom hinged drawer front that had an angled compartment attached to the rear side of drawer front. The drawer only opened to the horizontal which gave access to the compartment on its back. IIRC, mom kept knives and such in there.

Thanks for the feedback. I will definitely find a way to store something back there. Perhaps a magnetic knife rack for quick access to the metal utensils I use most often.

I have the same hinged door on the NT, as well as at home. They're a small storage tray called a "sink front tray", available at any Home Depot, Lowes, or on Amazon. $15 - $20.

Back
Top Bottom