Old 09-23-2022, 06:36 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Cruising down the Baja 2022

We are leaving Ensenada on November 14 or the 15th 2022, destination La Paz.

It would be great if we could share our ideas with others making the same trip.

Thanks Peter, for this photo describing our rough idea of stops, etc...
Attached Images

https://maps.findmespot.com/s/2R02#live/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 06:56 PM   #2
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Ensenada to La Paz

Kevin - updated to include La Paz. I show Los Frailes as our plan is to cross to Mazatlan, and would likely jump from here. I give this to friends and family as it's easily digestible for non-boater types. If you want any other stops shown, easy to add. PM me.

Buen viaje!

Peter

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ensenada to La Paz.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	132290
Old 09-23-2022, 07:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

City: La Paz BCS
Vessel Name: DON GATO
Vessel Model: Bertram 38
North of Frailes is Bahia Muertos, a good overnight stop if you don’t want to go straight from Frailes, good anchorage, restaurant on site.
Terry Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 08:10 PM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Wilkinson View Post
North of Frailes is Bahia Muertos, a good overnight stop if you donít want to go straight from Frailes, good anchorage, restaurant on site.
Good info. I've done the run from Cabo to La Paz. A stop or two would be great.

Updated chartlet.....

Name:	Ensenada to La Paz v2.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	132291
Old 09-24-2022, 10:46 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I want to look closely and try to break up the first leg.

Actually I want to try to break up any leg in the 100m range if possible.
Attached Thumbnails
50C0F485-D9A0-4495-98A8-27F248060C72.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2022, 11:04 AM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Puget Sound
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
Are you waiting in Ensenada till Nov 1 for reduced insurance before you venture South, or are you heading South before that, and if so, what are your insurance arrangements? Scot
Old 09-24-2022, 11:17 AM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
Actually I want to try to break up any leg in the 100m range if possible.
That was sort of my goal too. In open ocean, we generally cruise at around 6.25-6.5 kts. That means 100 nms is in the 15-16 hour range. For us, would plan a 10PM departure with anchor-down just after lunch. I am selling this to my wife as a taco-run, so definitely giving preference to anchorages with at least a small restaurant.

I see there are no suitable anchorages on the last leg to Cabo - 169 nms, slightly over 24-hour run for us. My belief is we would be a well-oiled machine by then. From there, the legs get a bit longer - hop from Frailes to Mazatlan is around 160 nms.

These Baja threads have been super useful for me. I had originally planned the standard Baja Ha Ha stops which form legs in the 250 nm range, more or less at two overnights. My wife would want a third crew as she gets cranky as hell without her sleep. I'd prefer to just keep it the two of us and not hassle with finding the right person for a 1-stateroom boat, and the logistics of getting them in/out. Keeping the initial legs to around 100 nms makes sense for us. By the time we're in the Los Cabos region, we can make an informed decision based on experience.

Peter
Old 09-24-2022, 11:24 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowgoesit View Post
Are you waiting in Ensenada till Nov 1 for reduced insurance before you venture South, or are you heading South before that, and if so, what are your insurance arrangements? Scot
I have insurance with no date limitations, so I could leave any time theoretically.

That said, prudence tells me to stay in ensenada until Hurricane season is really over, which is November 1st.

Cubar and I think Ba Ha Ha leaves here November 1st so I decided to wait until mid November to go to avoid the crowds.
Old 09-24-2022, 11:27 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Doug and I are cruising together, and his boat is most happy at 5.5 to 6 knots. My boat is super efficient at around 7.5 knots so he is planning on leaving earlier in the morning. We are planning on zero overnight runs except where absolutely necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
That was sort of my goal too. In open ocean, we generally cruise at around 6.25-6.5 kts. That means 100 nms is in the 15-16 hour range. For us, would plan a 10PM departure with anchor-down just after lunch. I am selling this to my wife as a taco-run, so definitely giving preference to anchorages with at least a small restaurant.

I see there are no suitable anchorages on the last leg to Cabo - 169 nms, slightly over 24-hour run for us. My belief is we would be a well-oiled machine by then. From there, the legs get a bit longer - hop from Frailes to Mazatlan is around 160 nms.

These Baja threads have been super useful for me. I had originally planned the standard Baja Ha Ha stops which form legs in the 250 nm range, more or less at two overnights. My wife would want a third crew as she gets cranky as hell without her sleep. I'd prefer to just keep it the two of us and not hassle with finding the right person for a 1-stateroom boat, and the logistics of getting them in/out. Keeping the initial legs to around 100 nms makes sense for us. By the time we're in the Los Cabos region, we can make an informed decision based on experience.

Peter
Old 09-24-2022, 11:53 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Kevin, I’m thinking first stop is Colnet, then maybe San Quintin or El Rosario
Old 09-24-2022, 11:58 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
We are planning on zero overnight runs except where absolutely necessary.
Don't tell my wife or she'll stowaway with one of you (BTW - she's excellent crew) (:

I like to have anchor-down by about 2PM if possible. Avoids bulk of the afternoon, and gives some time to get comfortably settled. For the most part, I don't sleep well the night before, so might as well be moving rather than fidgeting and counting holes in the headliner. Grabbing a nap before a 10PM-12AM departure has always suited my rhythms well. Personal preference.

Peter
Old 09-24-2022, 12:16 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I was recommended to a book from cruisers on my dock, they lent me theirs to look at.

Baja Boaters Guide, Mexico’s Baja California. I was going to photo copy it, but found it on Amazon for $6, plus $25 shipping and customs to Marina Coral. Written by Jack Williams in 1988, I have third edition, 2001. Lots of good information and worth getting. No lat/long coordinates. If you guys would like to have a look at let me know.
Old 09-24-2022, 12:18 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Kevin, Iím thinking first stop is Colnet, then maybe San Quintin or El Rosario
That's my current thought as well.

When you leaving???

Are you on your boat???
Old 09-24-2022, 12:23 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Yes, on boat, D48

Hopefully leaving around same as you guys
Old 09-24-2022, 12:44 PM   #15
Guru

Updated chartlet showing Bahia Colnett. I also added a stopover to break-up leg to Cedros. Unfortunately, it adds about 30 nms. But it does break-up the 100nm leg to Cedros.

I'll look at break-up potential of some of the other ~100nm legs further south.

Peter

Name:	Ensenada to La Paz v3.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	132311
Old 09-24-2022, 02:19 PM   #16
Guru

City: SoCal and Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 63
I would ask around for some local knowledge as to the current status of Cedros as a stop. A Baha rat/fishing buddy of my told me recently that there had been some stuff going on there that might be of concern. He goes everywhere but for now passes by Cedros.

You might find out its fine but worth checking ahead of time.
guy with a boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 04:55 AM   #17
Guru

City: Walkabout Creek
Have you guys settled on charts? My experience is about 5 years old at this point, but back then the c-map charts were dangerously inaccurate. Navionics was a bunch better, but still problematic in many areas. For any place where I would come close to land, especially anchorages, I would cross check everything again satellite images. I'd suggest making certain that you have them on your chart plotter. More often than not, the charts were not correctly geo-referenced. For example, Puerto Escondido is shown with no details on c-map, and and is miss-located by about 1/2 nm.
Old 09-25-2022, 06:53 AM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Have you guys settled on charts? My experience is about 5 years old at this point, but back then the c-map charts were dangerously inaccurate. Navionics was a bunch better, but still problematic in many areas. For any place where I would come close to land, especially anchorages, I would cross check everything again satellite images. I'd suggest making certain that you have them on your chart plotter. More often than not, the charts were not correctly geo-referenced. For example, Puerto Escondido is shown with no details on c-map, and and is miss-located by about 1/2 nm.
Well, it's complicated. I can only speak for myself as I have been meaning to ask others their plan. But for me, a work-in-progress. Recall, we (TT and I) had a tangent discussion several months ago that CMAP somehow missed the 1/4-mile long breakwater extension into Ensenada harbor that was finished 3-years ago. So I am a bit leery from that experience alone. Add to that my ancient delivery files includes a few pictures of MFD readouts along the Central American coastline showing the boat on the beach. I mean, let's face it - 99% of the vessels transiting these areas are local fishermen, many are pangas with pull-start outboards and no running lights. The rest are a source of local information, not a buyer. Not exactly the demographic I would target to sell updated charts. Safe assumption is all charts are suspect at least some of the time. Russian Roulette comes to mind.

When I joined TF (and CF) a few years ago, my goal was to emerge from a 10+ year boating hibernation, mostly to learn updated weather products and access. Now you know I love TF, post a lot, and try to contribute as much as I can. But......while there is great information on many things 'normal,' finding information on remote cruising has been hit or miss. So I found southboundgroups@groups.io (I think I have that right). A group of active cruisers mostly in Mexico (La Paz is well-represented), but decent experience down to Panama. Charts are a big topic. And, as you can imagine, OpenCPN is favored (OpenCPN confounds me).

So I have entered the world of KAP files and trying to figure out Sat2Chart conversions where you take a GoogleEarth projection and overlay. Jury is still out as it is predicated on two things: First, is it a sensible approach? (I have my doubts). Secondly, whether my feeble tech capabilities can figure it out before my well-developed frustration punches a hole in my laptop screen. Between the two, odds of success are so-so at best, but I'll keep you posted. TT, if you have started down that path, I'd love to shorten my learning curve.....

Back-up plan is to use the GPS waypoints from the Rains' guides in "Mexico Boating Guide" for Baja, and when I make it to mainland Mexico, the waypoints from Blue Latitude's guides (waypoints can be downloaded for a modest fee to prevent fat-finger errors).

Finally, will be heavy on the "Old School" techniques of being very conservative. From time to time I mention that in 1542 (?) Sir Francis Drake careened his Golden Hind on the shores of what is now Drakes Bay, 25 nms north of the Golden Gate. Why there instead of somewhere in SF Bay? Because he didn't know SF existed. With prevailing weather making the Pacific Coast a lee-shore, and Drake having no charts to speak of, he held well-off the coast and simply missed San Francisco Bay. If you could see my routes and approaches, you would see very conservative waypoints. And as I've already posted, I time my arrivals, not my departures, meaning I want to be somewhere by about lunchtime. For me, significantly more conservative than my old delivery methods where I had confidence and knowledge.

So, that's my plan. TT - would welcome your input. I have a lot of respect for your experience and knowledge.

Peter
Old 09-25-2022, 08:45 AM   #19
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Personally, in unfamiliar areas, I like to have at least 2 sources of chart data handy. Satellite images are a good idea as well. Then when something doesn't match up (or doesn't match what your eyes are seeing) you know that there's bad information somewhere and can try to figure out what's correct.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 08:46 AM   #20
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
North of Frailes is Bahia Muertos, a good overnight stop if you donít want to go straight from Frailes, good anchorage, restaurant on site.
I was going to suggest this, particularly since La Paz is best entered with good daylight and visibility.

As an added attraction, there is a palapa-type bar on the beach at Bahia Muertos. The winds can come up strongly, but we held well.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote