Cool Safety Tip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Make
1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Not a bad tip FB_IMG_1640207433661.jpg

That will also help getting I to the dingy

The only thing I don't like about the picture is that there is no line on the MOB. What if too weak to get aboard first try? Slip. Spash. MOB is now 5 feet away and drifting apart. I like using the throw line for a foot hold, but if the MOB is tethered to the boat you get more chances and options. Horseshoe float or throw bag should have a carabineer and life jacket should have a D ring.

Think it’s a wonderful idea as everyone has at least a dock line to make it happen.

But for a square sterned boat with a swim platform think using that would be preferred. Person needs less effort. MOM is kept closer to horizontal so less possibly of vascular shock. Can pull on body, collar or proximal limb so less possibility of injury. Horseshoe or lifesling is less likely to get in the way and can be used to pull on assisting recovery.

Bueno!

Gonna stuff that one in the memory bank :)

I strongly suggest all those that cruise with a crew of 3 or less have a system that brings a MOB aboard with a mechanical advantage and zero help from the PIW.

The USCG philosophy for every rescue is the rescuee is of zero help in the rescue. Of course, there is some on scene juggling that will be required if the rescuee is solo...

Great Idea...Thanks...Will add that one to my tool box!

We wanted to replace our old inflatable life jackets with newer ones that had a D ring. We bought them, but there was a warning with them that said they were not to be used on a power vessel. What? Identical life jackets without the D ring were OK to use.

PFDs undergo impact testing to be approved for powerboat use. Of course, many if not most of us are traveling at sailboat speeds so it wouldn’t matter unless you are wearing them on a fast tender.

A complete WAG but I’m guessing the mfr decided to forego additional impact testing on the harness model. Or else they failed it.

Our standby was a 4-5 foot double loop bowline. The crew on sail boat races practiced tying that in case of man overboard.
Both loops over head, one loop stays under arms, the other just before knees. Attached to a halyard any weight can be brought home.

Power boats have swim grids.

Our standby was a 4-5 foot double loop bowline. The crew on sail boat races practiced tying that in case of man overboard.
Both loops over head, one loop stays under arms, the other just before knees. Attached to a halyard any weight can be brought home.

And boarding ladders that are hopefully adequate…

Not all canoe stern trawlers, and they are generally considered power boats . . Here's an example . . .
Z

Z

Attachments

• canoe stern trawler.jpeg
    canoe stern trawler.jpeg
    7.7 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
Looks like maybe a bare butt to me! Just... What was going on before "W"OB... lol

I strongly suggest all those that cruise with a crew of 3 or less have a system that brings a MOB aboard with a mechanical advantage and zero help from the PIW.

The USCG philosophy for every rescue is the rescuee is of zero help in the rescue. Of course, there is some on scene juggling that will be required if the rescuee is solo...
I'll echo this. And add that practice is important to iron-out the kinks. Especially important for a cruising couple, especially since the husband is much more likely to fall overboard than the wife. I could live (??) with dying from my own mistake of falling overboard. What brings a tear to my eye is knowing how helplessly watching me die would shatter my beloved companion of 26 years.

The tip from the OP is a good one, even for boats with a swim platform. In open water, the swim platform may be a battering ram and a midships retrieval with victim to leeward will often be the best option, especially if your mechanical advantage is a mast and boom.

I used to do MOB demos at Trawler Fests. Never ceases to amaze me how many ways the actual recovery could differ from the plan - boom is not readily deployable, boom height is insufficient (most common), no lifting tackle to hoist a victim, etc. There's a reason commercial vessels are required to practice MOB drills.

Peter

There are lots more emergencys that would profit from some planning.

I've had the thought that for boats with sufficiently strong davits and probably 2 people still on board, it may be an option to quickly launch the dinghy and use a davit to hoist an MOB onto the swim platform. Less need for them to be able to help, and depending on the davit geometry, potentially less risk of smashing them with the platform.

Good tip Tom,
However, here in Washington, BC, and Alaska waters, you must factor in cold water shock. As Scott stated, in most cases of MOB in these waters, you must consider that the person in the water will most likely not be able to assist themselves out of the water. I attended a MOB seminar locally put on by Capt. Linda Lewis. On most powerboats, even with swim grids, getting the person back on board (especially if the boat is operated by a couple) will be very, very, difficult (at best). Plan out how on your boat how you will accomplish this, especially with the larger person being the one overboard!!!
Then practise the procedure!! You definitely don't want the first time you try to be the one when a life is really on the line!!
Finding and getting a MOB when (now) alone is tough enough, but actually getting an incapacitated person safely back aboard is even tougher when alone.
Merry Christmas to all!

Retrieval is definitely an issue. Especially for the mom and pop on a trawler. Took the lifesling and MOM-8 off the last boat to use on this boat. Went through the thought exercise and deployment of those two devices. Dinghy lift is a freedom. There’s no winches let alone a powered winch. Her retrieving me even if I could assist might well be problematic. Virtually impossible if I can’t. Speed of retrieval is critical.
So over this winter have been fooling around with figuring out how to rig a block and tackle set up that would allow the 100lb bride retrieve this lump of blubber. That way can use it off any edge of the boat.

So over this winter have been fooling around with figuring out how to rig a block and tackle set up that would allow the 100lb bride retrieve this lump of blubber. That way can use it off any edge of the boat.

When I did MOB retrieval demos dockside at Trawler Fest, I would search the crowd for the biggest guy and the smallest woman. Big guy would go into a gumby suit and overboard to relax while we demo'd Lifesling and Heaving Bag.

It's an expensive bit of kit, but the 5-part Lifesling lifting tackle is the right gear to own - audience was always amazed to see how much a small woman could lift (at least the non-sailors were amazed). Recommendation of course is for LS tackle to be stowed in its dedicated yellow bag and not to be used for anything else. Of course the big issue is having a lift point high enough to clear the victim over the side/lifelines.

LIFESLING–5-to-1 Lifesling Hoisting Tackle for Powerboats
(2) 4.5 stars, 2 Reviews, skips to reviews
Model # 595720 | Mfg # C-TACKLE 5:1
This item is no longer available.
Shop all Rescue Slings

And boarding ladders that are hopefully adequate…

There is one heavily advertised fast trawler that fails this. Low off one corner of the swim platform there is a screwed in plate. Remove that and pull out a flimsy net sort of thing.

It may pass legal requirements muster but it looks close to worthless.

Found it at landfall. Thanks Peter. Will add dyneema loops so can attach to handrails or ladder to flybridge. They’re strong enough. This will allow adequate clearance and can be done without tying knots or other complexities.

Good for docks, too. I did some dock work last summer. Any idea how hard it is to get on a deck just a foot above waterline? . [emoji15]

13 yrs ago... created/built my own. We use it for "in n' out" swimming all the time. Ready for deployment... whether you are on boat or in water.

Build your own ladder... Hinged off swim step, 6' + long with 1.25" o.d. knot filled pull-up line that dangles off transom right next to the ladder. It all Hooks up out of the way, when underway.

PS: Of the two blue lines showing. 6' long knot filed one [wrapped around ladder] is for helping swimmer [or MOB!] to pull themselves up the ladder, onto swim platform. 13' long line that extends side to side with know in center is bridal for center snap ring hook-on to tow runabout at slow cruise speeds.

Of course... if MOB is too hurt or unconscious then other "power-filled" means of getting that person aboard needs to be employed... the ladder and equipment could assist in that need also.

Attachments

• Ladder 100_0421.JPG
    Ladder 100_0421.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 22
  • TO in Delta Slip 100_0416.JPG
    TO in Delta Slip 100_0416.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom