Old 02-21-2018, 02:45 PM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballFan View Post
A friend of mine used a term "Urban boating" to describe Dade and Broward counties.
Wifey B: Fort Lauderdale is where the action is. Boating capital. I prefer living here but I love the west coast too. More of everything in FLL and MIA, which is either good or bad depending on what you like. I like it. We don't urban boat much because we run outside. A trip to MIA is out of Port Everglades and in at Government Cut, then you're on South Beach.

All larger cities are just like larger cities elsewhere. Go north from FLL and Jupiter is like a rural town by comparison. Go 15 miles out of Clearwater and a whole different vibe. Someone mentioned Gulfport, FL, a little gem. Friends who live in Sarasota and wouldn't think of living anywhere else. Actual natives. We talk about moving from Charlotte NC but we didn't live in Charlotte. We lived on Lake Norman and all lived either in Cornelius or Huntersville or Davidson. Very confusing. Might be in one town according to the post office, electric and water and sewer from another and according to the phone company you're in another. Neighbor's friends never could get neighbor's phone number through directory assistance as they never guessed it would be listed in a town miles away. Hubby grew up in the middle of Charlotte but I never lived there.

From FLL you can go 10 miles to Pompano and find waterfront homes for less than half. Same thing around Clearwater.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 04:27 PM   #22
Guru

City: Scottsboro, Al.
Vessel Name: Hi-D-Ho
Vessel Model: 1987 Krogen Manatee
I was a Florida resident for 35 years and it was ok back in the sixties and seventies then everyone decided it was a great place to retire and then.............

HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 05:45 PM   #23
Guru

City: Satsuma FL/Daytona Beach Shores
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDHo View Post
I was a Florida resident for 35 years and it was ok back in the sixties and seventies then everyone decided it was a great place to retire and then.............
Paradise lost!
Old 02-21-2018, 06:43 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDHo View Post
I just found some research and projections of growth. I see South Florida growing about 5% by 2020 and another 7% by 2025. Well, sounds bad, except as owners of some businesses I'm ok with it.

For those interested, here's a link to projections by county.

https://www.bebr.ufl.edu/population/...estimates-2016
Old 02-21-2018, 07:44 PM   #25
Guru

City: Leesburg, VA
Don't forget hurricane insurance. I hear its not cheap either.
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:08 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssobol View Post
Don't forget hurricane insurance. I hear its not cheap either.
You hear? From who? You might be surprised. I had a friend who every time her moved his car insurance jumped. Charlotte was because of the big city and accidents. Chattanooga was because of theft and being a chop shop capital. Mississippi was because of windshield breakage due to farm equipment putting gravel and rocks on the road. So he moved to NYC knowing it would go up. No, went down as he was in a secured garage and didn't use it to drive back and forth to work.

We were expecting outrageous property insurance and boat insurance costs and we're only paying marginally more. Actually paying less for property insurance living on the ICW than people I know living on the coast of NC and only a small amount extra on boats.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:13 PM   #27
Guru

I do need to add one caution on homeowners insurance. Flood insurance is very dependent on the zones and you need to check on a specific property as one block can make a big difference. Also, construction, walls, windows, doors and roof are important. A big difference between homes built to current Miami-Dade standards and those not. A friend replaced all his windows and doors and paid for them in less than two years from insurance savings plus had huge electricity savings.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:42 PM   #28
Veteran Member

City: Saint Petersburg, FL
Vessel Name: Migration
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 34 Double Cabin Yacht Trawler
I went to University of Tampa and am an avid Philadelphia Phillies fan so I have spent considerable time in Clearwater. I vacation there every Spring. It is a wonderful area with fantastic beaches, great restaurants, and in good proximity to Tampa which has much to offer. Given the chance, I would move to Clearwater in a heartbeat.
BillZe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 02:24 PM   #29

City: Lutz
Scientology Headquarters!!! lol plus original Frenchys Resaurant!
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 02:30 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddalme View Post
Let's see-no state income tax, no snow, year round boating, marinas everywhere, great fishing, great scuba/snorkling, Bahamas for the weekend, did I mention no state income tax.
You will need an extremely fast boat to do the Bahamas from Clearwater on a week end.
Old 02-24-2018, 02:31 PM   #31

Clearwater Marina is also the USA capitol of BOAT RIDES you can pay to ride on most anything there.
Old 02-24-2018, 02:32 PM   #32

We don't have too many crazies! -------yet!