Chris Craft Icebreaker? Yikes.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kthoennes

Guru
Vessel Name
Xanadu
Vessel Make
Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Hours of livestream video linked in this news article, probably more than anybody wants to watch, but I'm sure glad that's not my boat. What an ordeal. And the thought of using that old Chris Craft to plow through ice up to six inches thick just makes me cringe at the damage it must have done to the hull.

https://jalopnik.com/watching-a-45-ton-boat-get-pulled-out-of-a-frozen-lake-1848230235

Includes a link to a long discussion on Hull Truth. I'm kind of surprised Lake Minnetonka is frozen over to 6". I wonder if that's accurate. It's been so freakishly warm this winter, our marina on the Missouri is still wide open (in a sheltered marina bay inside a breakwater, above the dam), just a couple hundred miles away from Lake Minnetonka.

Wow. That is scary stuff. It makes me cringe just thinking about doing that with my boat :(

Wish my ice sheath went closer to the waterline.

Attachments

• IMG_2277.jpg
    IMG_2277.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 21
You might be surprised.

Each winter in NJ when I worked at a marina, the crappiest bowrider that got traded on a new boat that summer got used as a pull-out season tug, then given to me to break ice throughout the boat harbor all winter. I would beat the living he'll out of it and it really didn't have much damage.

That Hatteras run slowly through non compressed ice ( the real trick in icebreaking) and it might barely have some scratching along the bow.

That's a Chris Craft Roamer, so it's metal, not fiberglass. I think that one is aluminum, but depending on year it could be steel.

Back
Top Bottom