Case in point on boat prices today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
While American politics are fractured and we are still in a pandemic, old people (a group that I number myself in now that I am a pensioner lol) have complained the world is ending in every generation. Even when it was arguably ending, say, in WWII, there was plenty of happiness and things to experience and do, among all the privation and tragedy.

Need I remind you that all during the supposed wonder years of the last two decades before the supposed bad things that all of a sudden supposedly began to happen recently - at least when viewed through the lens of the perspective-impaired - we were in a national war? More than one actually. ANd though crime is up year over year lately, it’s still way, way below the rates when I began my own career in attacking it which - though I feel old today - wasn’t all that long ago.

Everything you mention including taking a cruise on the QM2 you can do today. Unlike, say, in WW2. And most of us who are on this forum have benefited from the conditions that have led up to this current economic point in the country that has resulted in high prices but also higher net worth.

This is so true. Don’t give up on America. Lots of media outlets want you to believe we are completely failing as a country and should throw the whole democracy thing out the window. While things are obviously no perfect currently, progress is being made.

We adopted two boys a few years ago in my mid-50's and wife's mid-40's. Now they're 11 and 13. That sure forces you to stay younger (or at least act like you are). Nicholas graduates from high school in five years. I still love my job but I treasure every minute with them and they love the boat. In the back of my mind I'm thinking I'll let them drive my timetable. The summer of his high school graduation we truck the boat to Duluth, take Matthew out of school and home school him on board for a year, and do the Loop. Then the following year Matthew can go back to normal school for his senior year so he doesn't miss it. They're going to be gone in five minutes. My wife and I still have all four of our parents and my father is still in very good shape for early 80's, but I better not wait until it's too late. I have this big clock ticking in my head like the alligator in Peter Pan. When they're all having dinner after my funeral, they'll remember the "Loop Year."

Wifey B: We "adopted" (yes her birth mother who we know refers to us as her adoptive parents even) an 18 year old in 2013. Strange I know but we're strange people. Fortunately we spent loads of time in the summers with her and she lives with others on our property and when we're home, she's with us for breakfast, dinner and evenings. She runs our small foundation but we knew the time she'd move out would come. She's been dating this incredible guy, so yesterday they went ring shopping to make their engagement official. Hubby sure cried a lot yesterday, both joy and sadness. I did a little. Dinner last night here with the two of them and his parents. We're so proud of her and we adore him and his family and we're joyous, but we know, it will never be the same. We're talking with them about houses that we and his parents will get them. Due to the pandemic, they're going to have a very small ceremony and then a larger virtual ceremony and virtual celebration but low cost approach. Hubby and I considered the kids at the orphanage our kids and we felt emotions as they became adults, but we never knew how it felt to parents. We had no perspective of what you've described that you face ahead. I guess even up to her current age of 26, we felt like we still had our little girl. Last night she leaped on top of us after we were in bed. Oh god will we miss that. Don't have any idea with us knowing nothing about what we were doing how she turned out so incredible. We do treasure the summers she cruised with us as a part time stew. We know we'll still keep a special closeness and we couldn't have wanted anything for her other than what she's got, but selfishly, why couldn't we have kept the kid we "adopted."

:D:cry::D:cry::D:cry::lol:

The unavailability of good used boats and the premium prices of new boats should have discouraged us but other factors came into play. My wife and I are well into our seventies so the new boat is probably going to be our last. Seven years ago, even owning a boat was not on our radar. Life happened and, after an ill advised separation of over forty years, we were reunited and living with a marina in front of our house. We took the plunge and bought a twenty year old Bayliner 3288 thinking that was all the boat we would ever need.

An auto accident three years ago cost my wife with most of her right hand. We made boating work with some adaptations. She could no longer handle a docking pole or safely walk the narrow side decks to the bow. Last summer we decided to look for a boat better suited to our new limitations. The reality of the pandemic lockdown and a decent settlement from the other driver’s insurance company changed our perspective on how we would upgrade. We ordered a new trawler built to our specifications and are counting down the months to delivery.

We’re investing in an asset that, even with depreciation, will still have substantial value when we reach the point we aren’t up to boating anymore. We figure that, for the next few years, our family will enjoy the boat much more than they would enjoy our IRA. We’re not squandering their inheritance. We’re just investing it in a lifestyle we love and making up for all the years we lived our separate lives.

The Bayliner is in good hands too. We sold it to a couple a decade older than us.

:)Thanks so much for everyones input, it's really helpful. I can't tell you how much admiration I have for people who just go for it, and I especially admire those who are in their seventies and beyond who refuse to not get tired, not stop living, and squeeze every little extra bit of juice from the fruit until there is nothing left, not even the apple core. That makes me happy to hear these stories.

It reminds me of a recent story. We had a 1031 exchange opportunity, and I tried my best to convince my wife to look at marinas. So I found a delightful broker who specialized in these types of assets. One of the projects he did was in Hilton Head, Skull Creek I think it was, and I mentioned the Boat House. He said yes, do you know that owner? I thought I would go talk to him about it, seeing he is in his 90s, thinking maybe be might be about ready to sell. The gentleman agreed to meet him, and welcomed him warmly. He said since you are here, let me show you my new marina project at South Beach. He was so full of enthusiasm, as he glance at the border and said what is it you want to talk to me about? The broker said never mind....I just love it when you never ever quit.

I'll make this pretty short n' sweet.

We believe: If you love life... for the sake of life... then everything you do in life... is one sort or another of a blessing.

I have a target set to reach 110 yrs. Linda wants to reach 100 +. We are blessed - simple as that! Boating is one fine blessing. There are many other blessings throughout life. We are honored to experience each blessing and we respect life - no matter what it brings; blessings or not.

I have a target set to reach 110 yrs. Linda wants to reach 100 +. We are blessed - simple as that! Boating is one fine blessing. There are many other blessings throughout life. We are honored to experience each blessing and we respect life - no matter what it brings; blessings or not.

wow you are a very positive person and that's great.

I am 63 today and my target is 68. this way i can spent more in the next 5 years. if I live longer and am out of money ill rely on my kids. they promised to take care of me.

wow you are a very positive person and that's great.

I am 63 today and my target is 68. this way i can spent more in the next 5 years. if I live longer and am out of money ill rely on my kids. they promised to take care of me.

Or just live off the govt like most people do.

Wifey B: We "adopted" (yes her birth mother who we know refers to us as her adoptive parents even) an 18 year old in 2013. Strange I know but we're strange people. Fortunately we spent loads of time in the summers with her and she lives with others on our property and when we're home, she's with us for breakfast, dinner and evenings. She runs our small foundation but we knew the time she'd move out would come. She's been dating this incredible guy, so yesterday they went ring shopping to make their engagement official. Hubby sure cried a lot yesterday, both joy and sadness. I did a little. Dinner last night here with the two of them and his parents. We're so proud of her and we adore him and his family and we're joyous, but we know, it will never be the same. We're talking with them about houses that we and his parents will get them. Due to the pandemic, they're going to have a very small ceremony and then a larger virtual ceremony and virtual celebration but low cost approach. Hubby and I considered the kids at the orphanage our kids and we felt emotions as they became adults, but we never knew how it felt to parents. We had no perspective of what you've described that you face ahead. I guess even up to her current age of 26, we felt like we still had our little girl. Last night she leaped on top of us after we were in bed. Oh god will we miss that. Don't have any idea with us knowing nothing about what we were doing how she turned out so incredible. We do treasure the summers she cruised with us as a part time stew. We know we'll still keep a special closeness and we couldn't have wanted anything for her other than what she's got, but selfishly, why couldn't we have kept the kid we "adopted."

:D:cry::D:cry::D:cry::lol:

You guys will find that other blessings will flow to you. In many respects, you are gaining a son. Part of the attraction between them is the two families also. Perhaps quite different from what you had to experience. As
Life goes forward, you will have them both in your corner and in your lives. Congratulations!

Probably an appropriate thread to post in.

Yesterday I attended my sister’s father in law’s funeral in Upper East Tennessee. My wife was on the other side of the state babysitting one of our grandkids. My sister took the 4 hour trip up. As we got to town for the funeral, I felt a very severe pain in my lower abdomen. I went on to the funeral, but went back to the car as soon as the main service was over. The pain continued to increase until I thought I would pass out. My sister came out to the car and took me straight to the emergency room.

It turned out that I had a hernia that had “incarcerated” my gut. Because of the concern about necrosis from loss of blood flow, and that they could not push it back in to schedule surgery during the week (a whole new pain level for me even with three different pain meds including morphine), they operated early this morning. They caught it early enough and the op has been Successful so far.

Anyway, I spent the day at the hospital with a better appreciation for each day we get on this planet. I have had several surgeries, but none were this painful by any stretch. That tends to focus the mind. I, like Doug, decided earlier this year to not wait and go for it with a new Helmsman build. That decision was definitely on my mind. I am really happy that I made that decision.

None of us are guaranteed anything.

Last edited:
The unavailability of good used boats and the premium prices of new boats should have discouraged us but other factors came into play. My wife and I are well into our seventies so the new boat is probably going to be our last. Seven years ago, even owning a boat was not on our radar. Life happened and, after an ill advised separation of over forty years, we were reunited and living with a marina in front of our house. We took the plunge and bought a twenty year old Bayliner 3288 thinking that was all the boat we would ever need.

An auto accident three years ago cost my wife with most of her right hand. We made boating work with some adaptations. She could no longer handle a docking pole or safely walk the narrow side decks to the bow. Last summer we decided to look for a boat better suited to our new limitations. The reality of the pandemic lockdown and a decent settlement from the other driver’s insurance company changed our perspective on how we would upgrade. We ordered a new trawler built to our specifications and are counting down the months to delivery.

We’re investing in an asset that, even with depreciation, will still have substantial value when we reach the point we aren’t up to boating anymore. We figure that, for the next few years, our family will enjoy the boat much more than they would enjoy our IRA. We’re not squandering their inheritance. We’re just investing it in a lifestyle we love and making up for all the years we lived our separate lives.

The Bayliner is in good hands too. We sold it to a couple a decade older than us.

Sounds to me like a run of good decisions.

Great thread, has Definitly reinforced the decisions I have made for my life though. I’ve made the decision to go now and started the boat and traveling lifestyle in my early 30s. I luckily have chosen a career that pays well, gives ample time off and is relatively fun and rewarding. Also the next few years I will be working a month on a month off and can work even less than that and maintain a reasonable lifestyle if so desired. I don’t really ever plan on fully retiring though, as long as I have a reasonably fit mind and body there are people comfortably doing what I’m doing into there late 70s and early 80s so don’t really see the point in retiring if it’s a semi enjoyable job that pays what it does.

37 shifts left in my career :)

Yep, my advice is go now while you can.

Don't be the guy or couple that lost the bet against the life clock.

I never met a retiree that wished they waited longer to pull the corporatye plug.

Here's another story that is stored away in my collection of "precious memories and messages:"

Mr. D. had a Cheoy Lee 66 LRC. In has later years of ownership, he took her to FL every fall and returned home to Chicago with her every spring. And later still, in his 90s, he took her with a captain.

One spring a few years back, Mr. D was heading home, by way of the Mississippi, and the captain standing next to the helm said, "Mr. D., I think I should take the helm." Mr. D. replied, "Captain, be sure you mean it because the day I can't drive my own boat is the day I put it up for sale." The captain reaffirmed. They did a 180 and brought the boat to FLL.

I sold her one month later. Mr. D. died the day after closing at age 95.

Reactions: FWT
Great thread, has Definitly reinforced the decisions I have made for my life though. I’ve made the decision to go now and started the boat and traveling lifestyle in my early 30s. I luckily have chosen a career that pays well, gives ample time off and is relatively fun and rewarding. Also the next few years I will be working a month on a month off and can work even less than that and maintain a reasonable lifestyle if so desired. I don’t really ever plan on fully retiring though, as long as I have a reasonably fit mind and body there are people comfortably doing what I’m doing into there late 70s and early 80s so don’t really see the point in retiring if it’s a semi enjoyable job that pays what it does.
Every day working that is unnecessary to sustain the life you desire is a day wasted unless you find day of working more pleasurable than a day of relaxing.

Greetings,
Mr. cj. Agree, up to a point. I know some people who CAN'T seem to relax. They always have to be doing something. Whether or not they enjoy the actual work is unknown but being busy is most definitely in their personality.

Me, on the other hand....meh.

iu

I seek to enable [have] the human race [i.e., civilization] to healthfully experience the future... no matter how "full of itself" IT apparently is.

My perception [definition] of civilization [i.e., the human race]: A multi pronged entity; loosely connected by billions of separate yet intercommunicative inventive-energy filled minds - that ever expands its population realms and conditions while IT (i.e., WE) parasitically exist on life giving and life supporting planet Earth.

I have a plan of action, an enterprising global business, that this afternoon holds a monumental meeting to launch its next phase. Efforts and plans have been ongoing since 1991 [I was then 39 yrs.] Next April I turn 70; Linda is 72. She has lovingly bestowed upon me her thumbs up on what must be accomplished. Linda's forever got my back!! And, I hers!

I've/we've had hard working, fun living lives to this point of my/our existence. Soon after watching World News Broadcasts [as we do every Sunday morn]... I'm going into my gym for a two hour heavy-weightlifting workout; making my mind and body best readied for today's 2PM meeting.

Retirement ain't in my blood! Wish me luck in pulling off this endeavor - outcome can successfully help accommodate global needs... that will benefit us all. From this date forward, it will take two to three years to preform amble scientific research and engineering accomplishments required before full scale business implementations can begin to be internationally positioned.

"Save Earth's Ecosystem"!! My Company's Mantra... Soon Becoming World Mantra

Cheers! - Art

Yesterday I attended my sister’s father in law’s funeral in Upper East Tennessee. My wife was on the other side of the state babysitting one of our grandkids. My sister took the 4 hour trip up. As we got to town for the funeral, I felt a very severe pain in my lower abdomen. I went on to the funeral, but went back to the car as soon as the main service was over. The pain continued to increase until I thought I would pass out. My sister came out to the car and took me straight to the emergency room.

It turned out that I had a hernia that had “incarcerated” my gut. Because of the concern about necrosis from loss of blood flow, and that they could not push it back in to schedule surgery during the week (a whole new pain level for me even with three different pain meds including morphine), they operated early this morning. They caught it early enough and the op has been Successful so far.

Anyway, I spent the day at the hospital with a better appreciation for each day we get on this planet. I have had several surgeries, but none were this painful by any stretch. That tends to focus the mind. I, like Doug, decided earlier this year to not wait and go for it with a new Helmsman build. That decision was definitely on my mind. I am really happy that I made that decision.

Wifey B: I had a friend that happened to. She'd had a hernia then a car wreck led to it being operated on again, but she gained weight and surgeon scared to go the third time. Well, she lost weight and had a by pass and some repair then but one Friday at school she thought at first just something she ate and shouldn't have but we immediately knew it was far worse. Ambulance called and straight to hospital and surgery the next morning. It had done the same to her intestine. Doctor said, "Pain is a warning not to be taken lightly and severe pain is an emergency." Too often we try to be tough when it's ill advised. So happy to hear yours was taken care of in time. :)

Now just follow all instructions, especially those restricting lifting. :ermm:

Wifey B: I had a friend that happened to. She'd had a hernia then a car wreck led to it being operated on again, but she gained weight and surgeon scared to go the third time. Well, she lost weight and had a by pass and some repair then but one Friday at school she thought at first just something she ate and shouldn't have but we immediately knew it was far worse. Ambulance called and straight to hospital and surgery the next morning. It had done the same to her intestine. Doctor said, "Pain is a warning not to be taken lightly and severe pain is an emergency." Too often we try to be tough when it's ill advised. So happy to hear yours was taken care of in time. :)

Now just follow all instructions, especially those restricting lifting. :ermm:

Thank you. She had a “tough row to hoe” as they say in this part of the country.

That is the hard part for me. I work out 5 times a week. And run also. Things have changed since the first surgery in 1977. I can get out and walk as soon as I am off the pain meds, and can start running again as soon as I feel like I can. But lifting is off limits for four weeks and I can certainly abide by that.

The doctor was a trauma doctor. She had practiced in Afghanistan putting the young men and women in our military back together. I was lucky to get such a capable doctor. She also was really interesting to learn from. Good people here.

Last edited:
This thread reminds me of the old adage ...
No one ever wrote on their tombstone..
"I wish I would of worked longer"

Hollywood

Here's another story that is stored away in my collection of "precious memories and messages:"

Mr. D. had a Cheoy Lee 66 LRC. In has later years of ownership, he took her to FL every fall and returned home to Chicago with her every spring. And later still, in his 90s, he took her with a captain.

One spring a few years back, Mr. D was heading home, by way of the Mississippi, and the captain standing next to the helm said, "Mr. D., I think I should take the helm." Mr. D. replied, "Captain, be sure you mean it because the day I can't drive my own boat is the day I put it up for sale." The captain reaffirmed. They did a 180 and brought the boat to FLL.

I sold her one month later. Mr. D. died the day after closing at age 95. This post hit home of me. Last month I helped a friend bring his Grandbanks42 down to Florida for the Winter. He is in his early eighties and his eyesight has become a problem with operating his boat. During the duration of the trip he had come to terms with the fact that his "big" boat cruising days are over. We docked he boat at their Florida home and he is having some maintance issues done and listing it. Drove home the clock ticking reality to me. John P]

Thank you. She had a “tough row to hoe” as they say in this part of the country.

That is the hard part for me. I work out 5 times a week. And run also. Things have changed since the first surgery in 1977. I can get out and walk as soon as I am off the pain meds, and can start running again as soon as I feel like I can. But lifting is off limits for four weeks and I can certainly abide by that.

The doctor was a trauma doctor. She had practiced in Afghanistan putting the young men and women in our military back together. I was lucky to get such a capable doctor. She also was really interesting to learn from. Good people here.

Wifey B: She did fine and last I knew still was. What is so funny is that we all think we'll be fine in a few minutes when something like that happens. I dialed 911 the moment I saw her, before she even spoke to me. I'm sure your sister saw the same in your face that I did in hers. Some things you can cover well, but this obviously isn't one of them. Best of recoveries. :)

I work to live. I don’t live to work.

While I was still working very long hours, I saw a saying that changed my life. It was simply this, “When I’m lying on my death bed, am I going to regret not spending more time in the office?” My soul answered with a resounding “NO!” And with my new attitude, I was able to retire at 55 and have never regretted it for a second. My friends were afraid I’d get bored, but they were all wrong.

We are not going retire per se, we will still need to work to replenish the coffers but look forward to minimizing to get our boat life going now not waiting until retirement pension kicks in.

Everyone has a different vision. Ours is boats. But what exactly is this "relaxation" thing people talk about? I can't imagine enjoying a retirement consisting of watching Oprah (or whatever replaced it) and cable news all day. Where taking the trash out is the day's highlight. SOMETHING more active and challenging is healthy. Or so it seems to me. Until I can't.

I will say that as I approach retirement, I do wrestle with a psy thing. I have worked since I was maybe 10 years old. The concept of not doing that is an adjustment. Spending replacing accumulation is an adjustment. I'll get over it.

Wow. Just wow. A funeral and an operation at once. There's a sign that its time. Just in time.

As I was approaching my seventieth birthday, I thought I had the rest of my life figured out. My wife and I were empty nesters. I had thought about retiring without a real plan to do so. I was gradually winding down my architectural practice while taking less joy in my work. I was being more selective about new clients but still working long hours and too many weekends. I still owned an eighteen-foot cuddy cabin but never found the time to enjoy it now that my sons were off living their own lives. A real boat was not in my future.

Things changed abruptly when my wife of forty-one years died very unexpectedly. Now I had an empty home and no reason to keep working other than to preserve my sanity. Life seemed at a dead end. Just as abruptly as my life had been upended, fate and the gods of the Internet turned it right side up again. A totally random notice on LinkedIn put me in contact with someone I had been very close to decades earlier but drifted apart from due to my own immaturity.

We corresponded and eventually met face to face. The most remarkable thing was how we had grown in the same direction with no contact in all those years. We had acquired the same interests and shared similar views on things we had never discussed in our youth. We compared it to the phenomenon in physics of “quantum entanglement” where particles separated by time and space remain connected. We realized that we had been right for each other all along.

She was living by herself in a community with its own marina and had owned a small boat similar to mine. We got engaged aboard her brother’s Hatteras 48LRC on a dazzling starlit night in the sea of Cortez. We were married a year later and found our first boat the day after we returned from our honeymoon. We have enjoyed every minute on the water and have learned some valuable lessons. Now we are having a Helmsman 38E built to our specifications. Watching the new boat come to life is like a fantasy and we look forward to today’s dreams becoming tomorrow’s memories.
The moral of the story and this thread: Don’t stop living until you are officially dead.

Back
Top Bottom