Caribe T12 opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TBill36

I'm looking for a lighter weight rib inflatable and the Caribe T12 checks a lot of the boxes. It is a fiberglass single hull and the 12ft weight is posted at 210 lbs. Most comparable fiberglass hulls are about 100 lbs heavier, many with a double hull with a floor and hull separated.

I want light weight as it will be lifted onto the bow of my larger boat, but an extra 100 lbs is not a deal breaker. I've read some comments that the lighter Caribes do not plane as well as some heavier models. I would think lighter would mean easier to plane, but maybe there is something inherent in the hull design that causes that. I'm also concerned that the lighter weight could cause a rough ride, I don't know if these comments pertain to the T12.

It will have a 25 hp Yamaha on it. I like the fiberglass hull as it eliminates future corrosion issues inherent in some of the AL hulls. The hull has a decent V to it and the tubes are on the larger side that should make for a drier ride.

Any info and experience would be greatly appreciated.

I had a Caribe 10X model that I loved. I finally blew out one of the tubes trying to use the dinghy as a tug boat, lol. Great quality and performance. With a 25hp you will be very happy.

Just my .02.

Cheers, Bill

Interesting, I was looking at one of these, as we too are in the market, however, we are not lifting, we are towing full time, to and from Catalina Island here in So Cal. I just put an offer in on an Achillies 11'4" with a 20 HP Tohatsu, with a total weight of 270#'s.....I'm taking a leap of faith that it will tow well. I know it will do fine at 8-9 knots, but will be interesting to see where it lies a bit faster in the 12-13 knot range, obviously only in calm seas. I would think the Caribe and Achillies models are very similar in this size, and as I understand it they plane with ease with 2 adults and a dog. Our use 95% of the time will be at 5 knots in Avalon or our home port harbors.

Back
Top Bottom