This can't be good

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I believe this is live, happening at 1:00 p.m. PST. ]

Apologies but......A minor pet peeve of mine. We're in Day Light Savings. Unless this happened at 2:00pm PDT and we all need to do the time conversions.

Last edited:
The comment about land based, especially municipal firefighters not being well trained to deal with ship board fires is very true. Basic shipboard firefighting training, yes, but that's it. Each ship is different from the next and land based firefighters would have only a rudimentary knowledge of basic layouts. Inside the various structures, they can be maze like, now imagine that (maze) when you can't see your hand in front of your face, it is blazing hot, you are carrying a lot of extra weight in equipment, and your air supply will only last about 30 minutes (or less) due to hard work, heat, stress, etc. Dangerous, dangerous work. And I am talking about commercial ships. Add to that the extra issues with a military ship!!!
Former military understand all of this and have already expressed the additional problems associated with being in port and under "refit".

I hope injuries and deaths can be minimized as I would guess this is a total loss now.

The ship was commissioned in 1998. The previous ship of the same name was a modernized WWII Essex carrier commissioned in 1944 and decommissioned in 1971. When a ship is in overhaul, it's a mess. Air hoses, power cables and scaffolding is everywhere. Hatches can't be closed and usually there are holes temporally cut in decks to remove equipment for overhaul.
Heat will deform the steel until it has to be replaced. All the electrical lines in the area have to be replaced. Some of the smoke is probably cabling burning. I read the fire was 1000°F. The forward mast has already come down. That means the island structure is destroyed and deck structure below that.
I doubt the ship will be repaired. It would be $100s of millions and years to repair a ship that was scheduled for maybe 15 more years. It's steam powered,and the navy is no longer building this class. The current type being built is the America class and gas turbine powered. Steam powered ships require a much bigger engineering crew. The navy is months behind in yard work now. Who would repair the ship. If there was a long war on and we had the capacity of WWII, maybe.

Our daughter is also currently stationed there in San Diego. She was previously deployed on the Theodore Roosevelt, but got pregnant with their second child (almost a year and a half ago) and is still waiting for full reassignment.

Anyway, as of last night she says not even the scuttlebutt knows for sure yet how it started, or more importantly, when it will end!

The Bonhomme Richard was commissioned after I got out of the Navy in 1996. I wouldn't call it old.[/QUOTE

Ah, but WE are :). Retired Navy after 24 years in 1989, and I am gonna suck on this pension (1/5 of my income) till the danged cows come home, thank you very much!

Rgano, you earned that pension!
The Bonhomme Richard was commissioned after I got out of the Navy in 1996. I wouldn't call it old.[/QUOTE

Ah, but WE are :). Retired Navy after 24 years in 1989, and I am gonna suck on this pension (1/5 of my income) till the danged cows come home, thank you very much!

Back
Top Bottom