Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-10-2018, 05:23 PM   #61
Guru
 
Group9's Avatar
 
City: Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi, (or where the anchor drops)
Vessel Model: 1973 42 Bertram MY
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: One of our favorite marinas. Lot's of great restaurants and we have friends there who know them all.
Ours, too. Marina Jacks is a pretty darn nice Marina. Lots to do within walking distance as well.
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
"It's the tides. They can work for you, and they can work against you. And, confidentially, I've had this problem with the tides before." Captain Ron
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 05:51 PM   #62
Senior Member
 
ragin cajun's Avatar
 
City: Lafayette, LA
Vessel Name: presently boatless
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star0210 View Post
Problem is...we have to be home no later than Saturday.

I canít figure out windfinder. Are you seeing wave data or just wind?
Click on to www.windfinder.com , scroll to west FL. Zoom in until weather stations start showing up. You have several offshore buoys along your route such as SW Tampa bay buoy, W. FL Central buoy and the Tyndall AFB tower. I find the wind and direction very accurate but the wave height is usually I little short. Good luck!
__________________

ragin cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 07:21 PM   #63
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 14,869
Greetings,
Re: post #59. "...we have to be home no later than Saturday." Fair enough BUT your boat doesn't. Schedules have caused more catastrophes than almost anything else. IF you don't get a window you're comfortable with, leave the boat and return at a later date. PLEASE!
__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:11 PM   #64
Guru
 
Star0210's Avatar
 
City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Vessel Model: 2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Re: post #59. "...we have to be home no later than Saturday." Fair enough BUT your boat doesn't. Schedules have caused more catastrophes than almost anything else. IF you don't get a window you're comfortable with, leave the boat and return at a later date. PLEASE!
Oh definitely....safety first. David is super cautious by nature...but especially with a new to us boat that weíre not all that familiar with yet. We are certain we can at least get to Orange Beach. We apparently have to send Florida some proof that weíve taken the boat out of Florida. We had to sign an affidavit saying that we would get it out of the state in so many days to avoid paying Florida sales tax.

Right now we are having dinner and drinks at Doc Fordís.

OH...and we have a leak!!
Itís the weirdest thing. Itís coming UP from a screw in the window frame. We havenít yet figured out how the window frame filled up with water. Course nobody (the seller) had any idea of said leak. Also the pilothiuse door has a small leak as well. It just needs to be re-sealed.
Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:26 PM   #65
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 6,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star0210 View Post
Oh definitely....safety first. David is super cautious by nature...but especially with a new to us boat that weíre not all that familiar with yet. We are certain we can at least get to Orange Beach. We apparently have to send Florida some proof that weíve taken the boat out of Florida. We had to sign an affidavit saying that we would get it out of the state in so many days to avoid paying Florida sales tax.

Right now we are having dinner and drinks at Doc Fordís.

OH...and we have a leak!!
Itís the weirdest thing. Itís coming UP from a screw in the window frame. We havenít yet figured out how the window frame filled up with water. Course nobody (the seller) had any idea of said leak. Also the pilothiuse door has a small leak as well. It just needs to be re-sealed.
Duct tape.
Or you can use a wax toilet bowl seal forced into the suspected area, to fix it until you get home.
__________________
The meek will inherit the earth but, the brave will inherit the seas.
OldDan1943 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:31 PM   #66
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 8,656
Bringing the Sea Star home from FL to LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star0210 View Post
There is a dishwasher in the galley. That space could have been used for two drawers or a cabinet...that would have been much more useful. Heck we mostly eat on paper plates. Iíll likely very rarely use the dishwasher.

So therefore I had to store surplus stuff down in the little berth.


I think you will find that in the long run it is easier and cheaper to just wash dishes rather than use the paper plates. Many places we go in the PNW there is no garbage service, or it is very expensive. Iíll bet there are more big boats around here with trash compacters rather than dishwashers.

Good luck with the weather. Since I really screwed up on weather decisions a few weeks ago, Iíd go for the more cautious approach. Even more so in a boat that is new to you.

Speaking of weather, very odd here. Mid 50s and sunny. Girls are running around in tank top and shorts and Iím sitting in the cockpit sipping on a Rum and Coke. Lovely. Of course it will get cold once the sun goes down.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:43 PM   #67
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 6,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Speaking of weather, very odd here. Mid 50s and sunny. Girls are running around in tank top and shorts and Iím sitting in the cockpit sipping on a Rum and Coke. Lovely. Of course it will get cold once the sun goes down.
Keep an eye on the "girls" and you will know when it is "too cold"
__________________
The meek will inherit the earth but, the brave will inherit the seas.
OldDan1943 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:45 PM   #68
Guru
 
Star0210's Avatar
 
City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Vessel Model: 2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I think you will find that in the long run it is easier and cheaper to just wash dishes rather than use the paper plates. Many places we go in the PNW there is no garbage service, or it is very expensive. Iíll bet there are more big boats around here with trash compacters rather than dishwashers.

Good luck with the weather. Since I really screwed up on weather decisions a few weeks ago, Iíd go for the more cautious approach. Even more so in a boat that is new to you.

Speaking of weather, very odd here. Mid 50s and sunny. Girls are running around in tank top and shorts and Iím sitting in the cockpit sipping on a Rum and Coke. Lovely. Of course it will get cold once the sun goes down.
If itís in the 50ís, Iím wearing a coat. Thatís cold to me. Lol
I guess the high today was low 70ís before the rain came in and then dropped to upper 60ís. I was flabbergasted at how many people were swimming in the pool. Iím wearing a sweatshirt and long pants!

I guess I never thought about paying for trash disposal. Interesting.
Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 09:13 PM   #69
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 8,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star0210 View Post



I guess I never thought about paying for trash disposal. Interesting.

Depends on the type of boating you do. If we stay in Puget Sound, most marinas have free garbage with moorage. However, the state parks donít. Once you get up past Port Townsend, free garbage is harder to come by. Then as you get further North into BC, finding a place to dispose of trash can be really hard. Amazing how much trash you can accumulate over the space of a week or two.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 09:40 PM   #70
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 6,754
You mentioned you are storing the trash in one of the staterooms.
I would discourage you from doing that. Get a trash can, put it in the cockpit.
Store it inside and you might develop a family of bugs.
__________________
The meek will inherit the earth but, the brave will inherit the seas.
OldDan1943 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 09:48 PM   #71
Guru
 
Star0210's Avatar
 
City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Vessel Model: 2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Depends on the type of boating you do. If we stay in Puget Sound, most marinas have free garbage with moorage. However, the state parks donít. Once you get up past Port Townsend, free garbage is harder to come by. Then as you get further North into BC, finding a place to dispose of trash can be really hard. Amazing how much trash you can accumulate over the space of a week or two.
Oh I know. When we anchored out for just 4 nights for the wooden boat fest, we just piled our trash up on the bow. We probably had 5 or 6 bags. It was facing the trees on the shore, so it wasnít real visible, but we had to travel back to the marina like that.
Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 09:51 PM   #72
Guru
 
Star0210's Avatar
 
City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Vessel Model: 2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
You mentioned you are storing the trash in one of the staterooms.
I would discourage you from doing that. Get a trash can, put it in the cockpit.
Store it inside and you might develop a family of bugs.
Oh no...not trash in the little stateroom. I was talking about surplus galley stuff like extra cases of water, extra food stuff, extra paper towels, etc.
Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 09:53 PM   #73
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 6,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star0210 View Post
Oh no...not trash in the little stateroom. I was talking about surplus galley stuff like extra cases of water, extra food stuff, extra paper towels, etc.
Ah okay, that's better. SMILE
__________________
The meek will inherit the earth but, the brave will inherit the seas.
OldDan1943 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 09:58 PM   #74
Guru
 
Star0210's Avatar
 
City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Vessel Model: 2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragin cajun View Post
Click on to www.windfinder.com , scroll to west FL. Zoom in until weather stations start showing up. You have several offshore buoys along your route such as SW Tampa bay buoy, W. FL Central buoy and the Tyndall AFB tower. I find the wind and direction very accurate but the wave height is usually I little short. Good luck!
I see the little dots for the weather stations but when I click on them nothing happens. Maybe it doesnít work on my iPad?
Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:12 PM   #75
Guru
 
seasalt007's Avatar
 
City: Punta Gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Aweigh
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 628
We are right across the ICW from you at Bird Key YC waiting on weather to go to St. Pete and Clearwater.

Be very careful with the crossing to the Panhandle. It is always rough about halfway across.

Take a deep breath and wait for it to be a good trip.
seasalt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:39 PM   #76
Guru
 
Star0210's Avatar
 
City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Vessel Model: 2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star0210 View Post
I see the little dots for the weather stations but when I click on them nothing happens. Maybe it doesnít work on my iPad?
Well David can click on them on his iPad. Hmph.
He does have a newer one than me.
Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 11:43 PM   #77
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 6,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star0210 View Post
Well David can click on them on his iPad. Hmph.
He does have a newer one than me.
There is an app names Buoyweather for the iPhone. Might want to look into it. I have not used it recently so I dont know if use an auto locator on the boat. It use to require you to know the buoy number. As I recall, it gives wave height and temp. Also the app that utilizes the data from National Data Buoy Center. I think it is titled BuoyData. There are more and some have a RADAR loop. Check out MyRadar Pro and of course TideApp.
Sometimes one needs to use a couple apps to draw the necessary conclusion when it comes to the weather.
There is also a recording barometer app you might consider. I guess it is called Barometer. The disadvantage, it doesnt have an auto update feature. You must update it at least once a day to establish the trend.
__________________
The meek will inherit the earth but, the brave will inherit the seas.
OldDan1943 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:41 AM   #78
Guru
 
Star0210's Avatar
 
City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Vessel Model: 2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
There is an app names Buoyweather for the iPhone. Might want to look into it. I have not used it recently so I dont know if use an auto locator on the boat. It use to require you to know the buoy number. As I recall, it gives wave height and temp. Also the app that utilizes the data from National Data Buoy Center. I think it is titled BuoyData. There are more and some have a RADAR loop. Check out MyRadar Pro and of course TideApp.
Sometimes one needs to use a couple apps to draw the necessary conclusion when it comes to the weather.
There is also a recording barometer app you might consider. I guess it is called Barometer. The disadvantage, it doesnt have an auto update feature. You must update it at least once a day to establish the trend.
Thanks Dan. We have a buoy data app. Or at least David does. Iíll chdck out those others you named. We each have a folder on our devices for weather apps and sites.
Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:42 AM   #79
Guru
 
Star0210's Avatar
 
City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Vessel Model: 2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 906
We are drinking coffee and checking weather sites waiting for the fuel dock to open so we can fill up and be on our way.
Wish us luck for a successful day of traveling!
Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:33 AM   #80
Guru
 
Star0210's Avatar
 
City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Vessel Model: 2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 906
We are in the gulf. Cruising at 24 knots. Seas are calm.
The view....lol
Attached Thumbnails
72F25422-7FC1-447C-B5D7-EEF9950015DA.jpg  
__________________

Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×