Old 10-15-2021, 09:48 PM   #241
TF Site Team

City: MX, thru Canal to Bahamas
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
Jwellington, Yes, it seems in today's market, many brokers/manufacturers have so much business they can't be bothered getting back to potential customers. . . . . the problem with THAT business model though, is that this market won't continue forever, and many customers have LONG memories . . . . Come the lean times, and manufacturers start calling old contacts, and they can't figure out why people tell them to p**s up a rope! New or used, big or small, treat every customer the way YOU would like to be treated, and you can't go wrong, but that's just me, and was OUR business model until we bought a boat and retired . . . well, SEMI-retired! It worked well for us!
Old 10-15-2021, 10:29 PM   #242
Guru

City: Victoria B.C.
Just so.
JWellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 07:10 PM   #243
Guru

City: SC
Vessel Name: Calypso
Vessel Model: 1981 Fairchild Scout
Just came back from the big show, it was nuts, will not be going back. Way too busy, brokers all say it was a record show.
Adopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 07:12 PM   #244
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adopo View Post
Just came back from the big show, it was nuts, will not be going back. Way too busy, brokers all say it was a record show.
And tell me the year they didn't say that.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 03:20 PM   #245

City: Hilton Head Island
Just got back from show in Fort Lauderdale, and it was a huge show for sure. Interesting new (at least to me) things I saw: (1) Completely Electric boat - probably a 30 footer with a in-board type drive. The boat had a pretty good range, and charging capability. Not a very large boat, but in chatting with the builder, he noted that boats can carry a significant load of batteries and as technology gets better, the day of a reasonably powered totally electric boat is right around the corner. I think for long distances not really a solution, but for shorter runs and charging off a generator while at anchor and shore power at marinas may work. I'd have to imagine that (like electric cars) this configuration would simply the power train, huge tanks etc. and fuel issues. (2) Outboards with a twin props on one unit. Units with 400HP had counter rotating props like a Bravo3 outdrive - eliminates prop walk, and more efficient in pushing water. I saw a 600HP Mercury - what a beast. (3) Technology keeps making boating easier for folks that don't live on the water. By this I mean, there is a ton of people (some like me) that boated when they were 20, left boating for 45 years, and now return to boating when retired, and want to handle a 35-40 foot boat. I will admit, it is a daunting task at least for me. Boston Whaler (no affiliation or relationship) had a 32 and 34 Conquest at the show. They explained to me that all of them are now equipped with Joy Stick navigation - this allows people who don't have the skills (mostly me) to dock this boat without damaging it. Apparently, they told me that there are a lot of people that want to get into comfortable boating and can afford these boats (not I), but can't drive them - so interesting development here. (4) If you want to a buy a center console boat, I saw at least 100 of them with not less than 4 engines on the back, some had 5, there will be plenty of them around in a while whenever this market gets more balanced.
Mark P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 08:39 PM   #246

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark P View Post
...they told me that there are a lot of people that want to get into comfortable boating and can afford these boats (not I), but can't drive them
I can't imagine what it will be like to live in a world where this happens. Even with people who think they can drive a boat it's often insane out there.

Really appreciate the report. Bet that 600hp Merc was the size of a small car.
ManoBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 04:24 PM   #247

City: Hilton Head Island
That Merc was big, the specs at the show said it was almost 1300 pounds, the unit there had twin counter rotating props. What was interesting is the dealer said you could mount three or four of them on about 30" centers across the transom - I can't imagine 4 of these V-12 monsters on the back of a boat without ripping off the transom.

On the driving boats, yes, it would be crowded out there, but that's a good thing. If boats were easier to drive more people would join the industry benefiting all of us. Just think of the things in our larger boats that require so much expertise (which I don't have) - docking, generator load management, starting, anchoring, to name a few. The way I see it, if a $75K car can parallel park itself without hitting other cars, I imagine that we can figure out how a Krogen 52 costing a $1M or more can dock itself, or hold itself in place at "anchor" without dropping its anchor using GPS, engine and thrusters.

In mind, cars and boats used to have about the same technology year ago. For those of us old enough to remember, older cars were a real pain to drive. I recall seeing my Dad get under his 1956 Ford to adjust the rear brakes. Many cars of that era didn't have power steering, power brakes, disc brakes, synchronized manual transmissions, no hydraulic clutches, all of this making them a total pain to drive. Given the improvements in cars, many people now share the joy of driving. Hopefully boat makers will keep making improvements on these key issues. I'll get off the soap box, now.
Mark P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 10:58 PM   #248
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
That Merc was big, the specs at the show said it was almost 1300 pounds, the unit there had twin counter rotating props. What was interesting is the dealer said you could mount three or four of them on about 30" centers across the transom - I can't imagine 4 of these V-12 monsters on the back of a boat without ripping off the transom.

They've been well tested on several different boats.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 09:11 AM   #249

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
In mind, cars and boats used to have about the same technology year ago. For those of us old enough to remember, older cars were a real pain to drive. I recall seeing my Dad get under his 1956 Ford to adjust the rear brakes. Many cars of that era didn't have power steering, power brakes, disc brakes, synchronized manual transmissions, no hydraulic clutches, all of this making them a total pain to drive. Given the improvements in cars, many people now share the joy of driving. Hopefully boat makers will keep making improvements on these key issues. I'll get off the soap box, now.
I remember that too. Kept people like my mom from driving for a long time which was a really good thing. When she finally started driving at 30+ years old the cars had power everything it was still not a good thing, mostly for the people around her. A lot of family reminiscing includes talking about her driving over medians and pulling out into traffic where she didn't have an accident but caused one.

I agree with you that docking and other process could use more tech.
ManoBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 12:35 PM   #250
Veteran Member

City: South Burlington
Well done! Beautiful vessel!
TomCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 10:08 AM   #251

City: Staunton
Cape Dory 28 Trawler

Hello, Trawlerites.

Steve Talley in Virginia. I want to buy a Cape Dory 28 Trawler. There are none for sale that I know of in my area. I was hoping someone might have one somewhere in the Chesapeake Bay area that I could look over before I drive to Maine.

Thank you very much for your consideration.
bucktalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 10:31 AM   #252
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucktalley View Post
Hello, Trawlerites.

Steve Talley in Virginia. I want to buy a Cape Dory 28 Trawler. There are none for sale that I know of in my area. I was hoping someone might have one somewhere in the Chesapeake Bay area that I could look over before I drive to Maine.

Thank you very much for your consideration.
Prob will have to travel...

Here's one on this forum, I've always thought these were just right for their size and considered them for our lake.

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...ser-64826.html

https://www.boats.com/power-boats/19...uiser-8440811/

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats-for...ake-cape-dory/
Old 08-31-2022, 03:28 PM   #253
PNK

City: New York ( City Island )
Boat Search-Cape Dory

Steve,

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1989...e-28--8439289/

This one is listed not too far from you in Maryland. I don't know anything about the boat, and you may already have seen it and decided it was not worth pursuing, but thought I would send it along.

There is another one like it listed on Boattrader, but it is in Buffalo.

I was on one 3 or 4 years ago, and thought it was a really nice design, with a lot packed in to a not-too-big boat.

Good luck!

Peter
PNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 07:03 PM   #254
Guru

Here's a new tool to use, Searchtempest, it's an aggregator for craigslist, Facebook marketplace and others. These links don't last long.

https://www.searchtempest.com

https://sarasota.craigslist.org/boa/...527787718.html

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...b-a747071a5d64

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...a-7057e68b1ea7
Old 03-20-2023, 08:29 PM   #255
Guru

City: Stockton
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: 1979 Island Gypsy 44 Flush Aft Deck
Ok, I'll add our search;

1) Does it stink? Wife is very sensitive to poo and mildew odors.

2) Do you fit? Need to be able to move and not have to bump your head on the ceilings

3) Standard bed? No need for memory foam.

4) Good view from flybridge? Need to see where I'm going.
Delta Riverat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 09:41 PM   #256

City: Millsboro, DE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Riverat View Post
Ok, I'll add our search;

1) Does it stink? Wife is very sensitive to poo and mildew odors.

2) Do you fit? Need to be able to move and not have to bump your head on the ceilings

3) Standard bed? No need for memory foam.

4) Good view from flybridge? Need to see where I'm going.
6) Ask for price.

7) Tell seller to put down the crack pipe.

8) Ask for price again.
RRC1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 11:16 AM   #257

City: Savannah
“Middlebie”: Some boating/marine experience with desire to elevate their knowledge and move up to higher level of boating. This is where i would fall. ; )
Trawlingwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 11:44 AM   #258

City: Savannah
Middlebie--

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Actually can do more speed in many places as our looping will be a bit different. We see the coastal areas a lot already so will cover them quicker with mostly outside runs. We do intend to spend considerable time exploring the Great Lakes which will be done at speed. Great to have it especially if you want to cross. Then rivers like the Tennessee allow for speed. The Canals are actually from NY until you reach the Great Lakes. Then the Mississippi is slow to moderate speed in most areas. We like having speed to cross the Gulf with runs typically between Panama City or Apalachicola and Clearwater. When we loop the concentration will be on those areas we can't otherwise get to as often. We'll probably leave the boat inland on the Tennessee River a year at a time over it's years. Explore the Tennessee, Cumberland, Ohio, Missouri.

When we do the east coast, since you mentioned FL, GA, SC, NC, we do not spend much time on the ICW. We pick up different areas different trips. Here's just an example of one of our runs this past year up the East Coast. This was not on a loop type boat but could be done on the one we have planned assuming the same excellent conditions we had. Outside run from Ft. Lauderdale to Daytona. Daytona to Fernandina, then Fernandina to Savannah (2 days there). Savannah to Hilton Head to Charleston to Myrtle Beach (2 days). Quick run from Myrtle Beach to Beaufort (4 days). Quick run to Hampton (3 days), then Washington for 6 days. From there to Cape Charles (2 days), then 11 days between Annapolis and Baltimore and enjoying the Chesapeake. Cape Charles again, then Ocean City for 2 days, Cape May for 2, Atlantic City for 3. NYC for 8, Greenport for 2, Brooklyn, Atlantic City, Ocean City, Hampton, Beaufort. Wrightsville, Wilmington, Bald Head (2 days), Myrtle 5, Charleston 3, Hilton Head 3, Savannah 3, Fernandina, St Augustine 4, Titusville 2, Fort Lauderdale.

Total time 90 days. Actually broken into two 45 day segments with a trip home in the middle. 270 engine hours, 39 days of movement. 5100 nm. Average speed underway 19 knots. % days moved 43%. Average hours on water per day moved 6.9. Average hours on water over total days 3 hours. A bit distorted as little time in FL since we cruise Florida all the time.

That does make my point about knowing ones own preferences. We fully understand how our speed isn't what many would choose.

When we do the loop the first time, our plan is something like this. Move boat to NE in spring. Be in NY ready to start the canal run the first of May. Through the canals slowly but then spend the summer enjoying and cruising all the Great Lakes. Leave Chicago last September and head down Mississippi to Kentucky Lake and on to Pickwick, leaving the boat for most of the winter at Aqua Yacht Harbor. Following spring and summer cruise the Tennessee and Cumberland. Do a fall color cruise on the Tennessee. Leave boat again at AYH. Following spring and summer cruise the Ohio and the Missouri. Then on down the Tenn Tom to Mobile. From there a quick cruise home to Fort Lauderdale. Boat then probably leaves Fort Lauderdale March 2016. Arrives back December 2018.
Wow, I love your adventurous travel. We live near Pickwick Lake and that's where home base boat slip will be. I am currently building a spreadsheet of questions with answers, thank you for your influence. Don't stop, keep posting, ill keep reading. ; )
Trawlingwc is offline   Reply With Quote