Boat Market Conditions???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm flirting with buying another (used) boat this fall. But I'm confused about market conditions.
I haven't been able to figure out the impact of Covid on the sold prices.
Of course, every broker I talk to claims that the market has never been hotter. But the actual sale prices all still seem to be below asking. Hard to gauge where the truth lies.
Any thoughts?
I have been digently searching for my last boat, a sailboat. I have been running into a lot of motor cruiser that are 40+ years old selling well and perhaps the prices are going up but I don't expect them to go up to much. Sailboats on the other hand seem to be falling because no one can gain entry to other countries once leaving the US. Just my opinion based on what I am seeing.

here in the PNW (Seattle) boats are moving and moving fast. One of my best friends is a broker and he is selling most everything quickly. Also, the Cetner for Wooden Boats (I am on the board) has sold almost all the boats that have been donated large and small, save one more expensive unique boat. Even my boat I bought last year they have sold a few on the west coast in the last couple months for the same price as mine with fewer features. a little anecdotal yes but I have to say the harbormasters I know have also said it has been nuts. Roche harbor looks like mini-Monaco! everyone is out boating... Ahhhhh.

I liked boatign to avoid people :)

Boats available for immediate purchase have been moving extremely well. That does not carry over to those that have to be built and require a wait. A lot of people seeking immediate gratification. The market on builds is down but as it was oversold, being down doesn't mean it isn't still good.

As a serious buyer, I’ve come to the opinion that clean, well maintained boats are selling quickly at or near asking. The dogs, project boats and fixer uppers just sit. I had a contract on a trawler for 25% under asking that I walked away from back in may. It was much rougher than depicted and is still on the market. I’ve had two sold out from under me, one while I was driving five hours to see it. Another that I traveled 400 miles to see had used five year old photos in the ad. It’s still for sale too. I’m still shopping...

PPandE, I'm having the exact same experiences here in New England as you are. The only thing I would add is I've seen a small number of nice boats that have been sitting on the market for a few years simply because they're over-priced, and the sellers aren't budging. They're waiting for the 'right buyer' (meaning, someone with more money than common sense, and they might be right, they're out there).

The stock market is still soaring, despite a global pandemic and a slow-moving global recession. A lot of people still feel 'rich' when looking at their stock portfolios, want to cash some of it out before the other shoe drops, and as others have said, are buying boats both as one of the few 'socially distanced' things we can (reasonably) safely do right now, and as an escape pod from the pandemic.

It seems the supply of boats has been shrinking for the past decade. A lot of manufacturers didn't survive the 2008/2009 recession, and those that did, downsized and built fewer boats. So there have been fewer boats built in the past 12 years. The hurricanes of the past decade have also permanently taken many boats out of the market, yet many of those owners still wanted to replace them. So it's a perfect storm of greater demand than supply.

Where it will go is anyone's guess. Sooner or later, the reality of the pandemic and its economic ramifications will set in. Many financial managers I've talked to are waiting for the domino effect to ripple through the real estate market. Many small businesses have disappeared due to the pandemic, and more will as time goes on. As a result, property owners will see reduced rental income from commercial spaces previously occupied by restaurants, bars, stores, etc. Many big companies are realizing that they don't need to have all of their employees in big offices. Both for safety reasons and to save money, they can continue to have some workers continue to work from home. That will begin to squeeze commercial real estate.

Unfortunately, the pandemic will be with us for some time to come. It's not going to be 'all over' anytime soon. As the macroeconomic implications begin to set in, and the gravity-defying stock market begins to reflect that, boat prices might begin to soften.

But then, so many supposedly smart money managers have been predicting this for a while, and it hasn't happened yet. The real answer is, nobody knows what will happen.

My observation is that things rich people buy are in VERY high demand. Second homes, RVs, boats, Porsche’s are all selling like hot cakes! Go figure...

PPandE, would you care to share the description of the "projects" you walked away from if they meet my criteria. We are first time buyers living in Miami, just about to travel up to Ft, Lauderdale, Ft. Pierce, Lucie as I have a list of 7 boats for ICW travel. 36'-40', budget $60k-124k, diesel, if they don't fit that, then never mind. Just don't want to waste my time looking at junk, not looking for any kind of real project. Thank you

It is a sellers market. If you are thinking of selling a boat, NOW is the time.

pete

Check out the American Tugs in Stuart.
I'd be interested in your opinion.

Makobuilders if you need boots on the ground overseas, I have been to over 30 countries while in the military and in a civilian job. I was in the Philippines during November and December of last year on Samar, when the typhoon went through, right where the eye went through. My background is computers and electronics but I'm also interested in boats. I could do contract travel for you overseas, if you needed someone for that.
Just don't ask me to go to Venezuela, as I have been there and probably won't go back soon if ever. There are a couple of other countries also in that category. The closest I have been to China was Hong Kong, but I would go there if I could get a visa.

The problem with seller's market is, you can quickly sell your boat at or near your asking price and the next boat you buy will be expensive.
Your current boat, you know its history but the new boat, you are basically starting a zero.

In addition to the RV market booming, the market for campsites at ownership campgrounds is also booming. Is the same occurring with ownership boat slips?

Yes, but one issue that has arisen at our marina is that the marina is full of people on their boats. Go figure. Marina's are used to boats with few people, kind of like gym memberships. So the marinas have a lot more work to do and maybe not a lot more rent .. I'm not sure how it pans out financially.

Last edited:
The problem with seller's market is, you can quickly sell your boat at or near your asking price and the next boat you buy will be expensive.
Your current boat, you know its history but the new boat, you are basically starting a zero.

The same thing that happens in housing markets, happens in boats. Market is up, you get more but then have to pay more. Market is down and you can get great deal but then get less for yours. When you're both a buyer and a seller, only so much you can do.

PPandE, would you care to share the description of the "projects" you walked away from if they meet my criteria. We are first time buyers living in Miami, just about to travel up to Ft, Lauderdale, Ft. Pierce, Lucie as I have a list of 7 boats for ICW travel. 36'-40', budget $60k-124k, diesel, if they don't fit that, then never mind. Just don't want to waste my time looking at junk, not looking for any kind of real project. Thank you

Good morning Hankster,
Sorry it's taken me a couple of days to get back to replying, I work in an area loosely connected with the travel industry and I'm busier than I've ever been. Go figure.

I kind of doubt that any of these would fit your criteria. We started out looking at $30k boats and have quickly bumped the budget to $150k trying to avoid projects.

Anyway, we walked away from a mid 80's CHB 35' that is still listed for $40k. Cosmetically rough, casual look showed no structural or mechanical issues. Next was a 39' carver that turned out to be trashed inside and out. Water damage, shoddy cabinet work, horrific engine room. Then a 40' Carver with water damage in the salon and five year old pics in the ad.

We've had three boats sold before we could do the initial due diligence to make an offer... one a Carver that I'm glad we missed out on. Another was a Mainship that I let my foot slip on, still kicking myself on that one. Then just yesterday another Carver was already under contract when my broker called with an offer sight unseen.

Being in Tennessee doesn't help with my boat search. Good luck!

PPandE, I'm having the exact same experiences here in New England as you are. The only thing I would add is I've seen a small number of nice boats that have been sitting on the market for a few years simply because they're over-priced, and the sellers aren't budging. They're waiting for the 'right buyer' (meaning, someone with more money than common sense, and they might be right, they're out there).

Nick,
Those sellers who aren't budging might just find their buyers in this market! So far I've held onto my common sense but I'm getting tired of being beached!

Well, I just finished selling our boat. We maintained the heck out of it, priced it right, it surveyed well, and off she went. Other listings on YW for nearly the same boat (although without extended warranties) are listed higher (about 15-20% higher) and are still on the market. Good for them, and I hope they get it. Now, onto finding a trawler.......

Well, I just finished selling our boat. We maintained the heck out of it, priced it right, it surveyed well, and off she went. Other listings on YW for nearly the same boat (although without extended warranties) are listed higher (about 15-20% higher) and are still on the market. Good for them, and I hope they get it. Now, onto finding a trawler.......

Just curious, what did you sell?

Ahhh. Sea Rays are obviously popular boats and many people would own nothing else. They never really appealed to me, but that's just a personal preference. Good luck with you're trawler search. Anything particular in mind? A full-blown trawler or something a little faster but still in that style?

Since son is going off to college next year, (if he gets in :)), we are looking for a smaller trawler 34-36 ft range. No particular brand yet, but trying to stick to single diesel, single helm (with LOTS of air conditioning). Speed not an issue anymore - won't be looking to pull tubers with the trawler! I will say that from what I have seen, other posters here are right, good boats are selling at a good price at this time.

It seems to be a bit of a sellers market right now so good boats are selling quick. Probably best if you narrow your search and act quickly, especially this time of year. Single diesel is a good choice but probably want bow thruster, stern too if possible. Think about your intended purpose. Speed is not just for water skiing, but if you plan to do some cruising, are you happy and have the time to cruise at 7 knots, or would you rather cruise in the teens to get where you want to. These are very basic questions I know, but things like this will help you focus on where to look. No matter what, best of luck!

If he doesn't get in, will he live in the boat's basement? LOL

Back
Top Bottom