Boat cleaning tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Instead of just reading posts in old threads, start a new one with your questions. You'll not only get the info you're seeking, but a lot more you didn't know to ask...and you'll become a participating member of this motley crew!

--Peggie

Instead of just reading posts in old threads, start a new one with your questions. You'll not only get the info you're seeking, but a lot more you didn't know to ask...and you'll become a participating member of this motley crew!

--Peggie

+1. Never enough new threads. We have new members here every day and they may have some info that hasn’t been posted before.

Great information. The best suggestion was to buy Peggie’s book.

I have used a dehumidifier in my boats for years. They are great. During the winter you want to keep the inside of the boat dry. A dehumidifier is the best way to do that. I have used the small compressor type for years and they work great. I’ve set it the galley counter and have had the drain run into the sink. You can also put it in the shower and have the shower sump drain it overboard.

The compressor type of dehumidifier work really, really well. Add a couple fans in the interior of the boat and one 30 pint dehumidifier will keep the boat dry and eliminate smells and mildew. The only downside to them is they can be awkward to move and store. Well worth it however.

In the past few years I have moved to using the small Peltier dehumidifiers. They have the advantage of being quiet, lightweight, and easy to move and store. I currently have two of them on my boat that run 24/7 when we are away from the boat. They are not as effective as a 30 pint dehumidifier, but work well enough.

Of course, you keep the windows closed. In weather like we sometimes have in July and August, it is fine to leave a window open and leave the dehumidifiers off. However, I leave them on all the time.

Nice dog photo, it it a Bichon Frise? We have three!

Okay, after 15 years running multi million dollar big white yachts, I’m going to share with you my #1 time, work, and cost, saving cleaning tip, one that has gotten me lots of love from long time stewardesses when I share it with them: Collenite 845 Insulator Wax.

Any shiny non fabric surface basically gets cleaned by rubbing on an oh so thin layer with a damp wax applicator pad, and then removing with a microfiber cloth (microfiber for the removal is important to control dust). There is absolutely no faster, easier, way to clean windows inside or out. 2 passes to streak free clear. Same for brushed stainless appliances, or polished stone, or fingerprints on varnished panels. Even vinyl overheads and wall upholstery, as well as the glasses on display in the cabinets; all of it gets cleaned with Collenite Insulator wax, especially if I’m taking it to one of the boat shows to display. When you walk in it just glows and people go wow. As for daily practical results, you’ll find that you have to go through the boat less and less frequently to clean the prints, becaus they kinda quit sticking to the surface, and a quick wipe with a dry rag gets rid of what does.

For boat show gigs when I hire in help to get it ready and take through the show, more than once long time stews have responded, "you’re my new best friend. I’ve been working so hard for so long, and this is way easier and better." "Yep, cheaper too..."

Last edited:
Not sure I agree with much of this.....

Down the toilet being pumped by a maceration unit is definitely no issue....even if not, whats in a marine holding tank that doesn't get flushed in a home toilet?

Septic tanks could be overloaded if you are adding a lot all at once.....if city sewer....again not sure of the dangers if you are emptying what I have always known to be in holding tanks.

I would just say think through your situation but emptying into landside facilities should not ne a big deal.

People are known to hire it done. Sad to see an owner cleaning a 60-foot vessel by himself

Sadness, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. I can often be seen cleaning my boat (and I do a better job than the guy who comes twice a month).

1. What do I clean my interior wood with, wood walls, wood cabinets, wood doors? There's a ton of interior wood on this boat. I like Howard Feed-N-Wax wood polish & Conditioner. But first I wash down with a very very mild mix of Murphy Oil Soap and warm water.

3. BUGs! Bugs love wood, (moisture ants ate my house once). Do I need to spray for bugs regularly. Do you ever use Indoor bug foggers? In the PNW Bugs are not much of a problem

3A. Are there mice and rats like in the pirate movies? What do you do? Not much of a problem in most places.

4. Water in the hull, (that the bilge pump clears). Do mosquitoes, mold, moss or bad smells ever come from it? Would tossing a few chlorine "pool" tablets in there hurt anything? Or, don't worry about it? I would not toss pool tablets in there, I would invest in a small dehumidifier, and let it run, you can drain the hose to a bildge pump, or dump the tank, I keep one in my engine room and when I am not on the boat I leave a hatch open and a small fan running. This really helps older boats stay dry.

5. Once a year I was told to clean the outside teak deck. What should I use? Simple green? https://www.amazon.com/Brightwork-Finishing-Wood-Rebecca-Wittman/dp/0071579818 mild dish soap, a bit of TSP and SALT WATER. Or buy the book, it’s a good read.

6. My outside Fiberglass or plastic white decks and walls? What do I clean, protect and polish it with? Many options here, I like 3M products and a buffer.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=3m+perfe...=c&hvqmt=e&tag=mh0b-20&ref=pd_sl_5v9r69mv57_e

6A.*Wouldn't it be easier if I wash it in the rain and just let the rain rinse it off?
Yes feel free, please use a sea safe boat wash like Star Brite

6B. Does the marina let you wash your boat? Some do, some do not.

6C. Does anyone here pay for a boat washer every month or so? How much should I expect to pay, (just wash)? Can someone recommend anyone in the Seattle area.
Pending condition of boat, covered, not covered, neighbors 32’ is 200 a month, and it gets washed 2 times a month, it is in the covered marina and a very new/easy to clean boat.

7. I won't be using the sink much. But if it clogs can I use draino?
Any chemicals you put in the sink, end up in the water outside your window, do you want to swim/fish in draino?

8. Chrome cleaning / polishing ? Can I use "semichrome" or, "Never Dull" like my motorcycles chrome? What do you use? Many options and opinions here, for stuff in bad condition I start with Mothers, for stuff in better shape I use Flitz, you can also use it on fiberglass. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=flitz+po...=c&hvqmt=e&tag=mh0b-20&ref=pd_sl_193ftxmf32_e

9. Bird poos on my blue bemini. What do I use to clean it and protect it from fading? Are there any tools to help you reach and clean the top with, broom... 303 products help with the staining. But they do not last forever, I apply about every 2-3 months.

10. At the moment, my boat dosen't have that "boat" smell that I walked right out of while boat shopping. How do I keep it "fresh" smelling? Keep it clean, run a dehumidifier, run a fan, you can also play around with a ozone maker, but be cautious, it will kill animals and rubber components on your boat.

10A. Does anyone use a damp rid product? It's costly what do you recommend? Small dehumidifier, https://www.amazon.com/Inofia-Dehum...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

11. I plan on having a "boat" wood expert show me how to lightly sand and re-stain my outdoor wood the first time. Then do it on my own yearly. Is this a good idea? Get the book I mentioned above, and then find a pro to give you the 101, lots of options depending on your level of commitment.

11A. Are there any wood Experts you can recommend in Seattle? Rebecca Wittman, but you will find most pro’s hold their secrets close, as it pays the bills.

12. Do you WD-40 anything regularly?

13. Have you ever gotten bed bugs? If so should I just sell the boat

14. What type of dishwashing, hand soap, shampoo do you use? One that's ok for the environment in my marina? Lemon Joy works about the best for suds and boat water.

15. What do I use to clean my wood floors with? Murphys, same as above.

16. What's your favorite rechargeable vacuum for my carpets and general cleaning?

17. What's that winter heating thing I see in all boats? Looks like a flying saucer. What it called and how many do I need for my 42 footer? Run it all the time or just when it's cold? https://www.suremarineservice.com/Heat/Webasto-Diesel-Heaters/
If you’re going to keep the boat, buy a webasto. And running a dehumidifier will make it feel warmer as there is less moisture in the air/boat. But for the most part on our older boat we just bought two of the stand up oil filled radiator 110 plug in heaters.

18. What are the pads that soak up oil and crud called?
https://www.amazon.com/Brady-SPC-Oi...l+spill+pad&qid=1605202583&sr=8-6&tag=mh0b-20

19. Do you use rain-x on your windows? I use to, now I use
https://www.amazon.com/Flitz-CS-029...1&keywords=Flits+spray&qid=1605202649&sr=8-32

20. If in the Seattle area, where's a good "marina" or market to buy these cleaning supplies? Or maybe a Trailer / Winnebago store? Do you buy your items on Amazon, (like maybe a boat cleaning kit)? Amazon, https://www.fisheriessupply.com/

21. Any additional cleaning tricks or tips?* Always use the mildest product and step up to match the chore.

22. Any Books or YouTube videos that you can recommend on cleaning a boat.

23. How do I clean and protect my outdoor vinyl seats. Look up 303 products.

The absolute best thing I have found for isinglass or any plastic it 210 Plastic Cleaner by Sumner. I get it on Amazon. It is a spray on wipe off cleaner. On our current boat before we fabricated the new enclosures for the bridge and sundeck the isinglass was in terrible shape. Very cloudy and difficult to see out. We blew out some stitching in Cape May and found a canvas guy to restitch the ones that blew out. He turned me onto 210. I had spent about 6 hours polishing the isinglass inside and out with Flitz, what a waste of time. The canvas guy gave me a can of 210. It took me 45 minutes to clean the flybridge isinglass inside and out. It was incredible how well they came out. I use it once or twice a season here and the isinglass stays very clean. I use 2 diapers, one to wipe it off first and the second one to do a follow up wipe. When they get dirty I use clean ones. I do wash the isinglass first so if there is dirt on it the dirt won’t scratch the isinglass. No affiliation.

The absolute best thing I have found for isinglass or any plastic it 210 Plastic Cleaner by Sumner. I get it on Amazon. It is a spray on wipe off cleaner. On our current boat before we fabricated the new enclosures for the bridge and sundeck the isinglass was in terrible shape. Very cloudy and difficult to see out. We blew out some stitching in Cape May and found a canvas guy to restitch the ones that blew out. He turned me onto 210. I had spent about 6 hours polishing the isinglass inside and out with Flitz, what a waste of time. The canvas guy gave me a can of 210. It took me 45 minutes to clean the flybridge isinglass inside and out. It was incredible how well they came out. I use it once or twice a season here and the isinglass stays very clean. I use 2 diapers, one to wipe it off first and the second one to do a follow up wipe. When they get dirty I use clean ones. I do wash the isinglass first so if there is dirt on it the dirt won’t scratch the isinglass. No affiliation.

Good deal. Does the rain/fog bead up on the freshly cleaned surface, or do you think it would still be beneficial after cleaning with 210 to go ahead with the for-plastic Rainx? I use McGuire's to clean then polish and then add the RainX on top of it.

I am not sure. I really am not a morning kind of guy so the dew has usually gone by the time I am up and about.

Wow! I'm going to give this a try ...

Back
Top Bottom