Boat Cards for the Great Loop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Boat cards

We are on the Loop, and I use MS Publisher to make our cards. We should finish next yr making our Loop an 8yr trip.

I use Publisher so I can make changes when I want.

Our card has a picture of our boat and a picture of us as well. It has the boat name our names and contact info. It also has our affiliation in the MTOA and our retired status in the AGLCA.

Importantly as well on the back I have a line for Date, Location and Notes so people can add the where info that they met us. I also have a URL listing for our inReach track so people can see where we've been.

IF interested drop me a PM and I can send you a copy of our card.

Have fun.

you put what information you want the receiver to have. If you want to advertise that you are a licensed captain (not sure why unless you are looking for work), do so. If that's something you want people to know, but not advertising, just use it in your title, instead of "Mr." or "Dr.". Like most I've given out few, and never got any kind of contact from anyone I gave to. To me, it's just information you file "just in case".

Make them your self using MSFT Publisher. Include name, photo, email cell phone, blog page.
You can print to .pdf and print yourself or go to Kinkos, UPS, Office Depot. Change them anytime. Print in glossy photo paoer for best result.. You can print 8 per page, cut with paper cutter. Easy

After 12 days of formal in class instruction, two final written examinations, formal documentation of adequate past and recent sea duty, a significant cash outlay, acquisition of a TWIC card, a physical examination and urine drug screen initially and randomly in the future, and an obligation to update and renew all information every five years, I am a USCG licensed Master with 50 Ton and Auxiliary Sail endorsements. I exercise my privileges as a licensed "Captain" taking paying passengers safely out for day and overnight trips on my family 47' performance sailing catamaran something around a thousand hours anually, both inshore and offshore, each year. I am proud of the achievement represented by the time, money, and effort I have invested in my post "retirement" career. From my business card: Capt. Dwight Burdick, s/v Masalama.

Last edited:
After 12 days of formal in class instruction, two final written examinations, formal documentation of adequate past and recent sea duty, a significant cash outlay, acquisition of a TWIC card, a physical examination and urine drug screen initially and randomly in the future, and an obligation to update and renew all information every five years, I am a USCG licensed Master with 50 Ton and Auxiliary Sail endorsements. I exercise my privileges as a licensed "Captain" taking paying passengers safely out for day and overnight trips on my family 47' performance sailing catamaran something around a thousand hours anually, both inshore and offshore, each year. I am proud of the achievement represented by the time, money, and effort I have invested in my post "retirement" career. From my business card: Capt. Dwight Burdick, s/v Masalama.

Does ALL that really fit on a business card and is readable? :D

Last edited:
Sounds like a business card vs a boat card.

When I was delivering, I too had my credentials on my business card (USCG 100-ton Master #899414). I never felt comfortable with the title of "Captain" unless I was actively in command of a vessel so i just used the USCG designation. Typically, I described myself as a Delivery Skipper.

Peter

USCG Master license

Does ALL that really fit on a business card and is readable? :D
Sorry, not what I wanted to say. My business card, along with address, contact info, and boat picture (on backside) accurately lists me as Capt. Dwight Burdick, S/V Masalama

Sorry, not what I wanted to say. My business card, along with address, contact info, and boat picture (on backside) accurately lists me as Capt. Dwight Burdick, S/V Masalama

Just funnin' with ya.

I used to teach classes and to see some of the older guys who wanted to charter when they retired, many who hadn't been in and done well in school for many years..... pass the course and beam with pride was a real kick and made the teaching struggles all worth it. :thumb:

Boat card

Just funnin' with ya.

I used to teach classes and to see some of the older guys who wanted to charter when they retired, many who hadn't been in and done well in school for many years..... pass the course and beam with pride was a real kick and made the teaching struggles all worth it. :thumb:

Definitely a trivial issue! I'm into using the appellation "Capt." to set me apart from the other 81y/o porch swing "masters", as an old guy with a booming 3-year second career. With no intent to be "pompous", I will continue to add "Capt." to our boat card, as will my equally licensed 70 y/o wife, who in reality is The Admiral.

For small boats up to 75 ft or so I think "Skipper" is the appropriate term. The "Captains" have 4 stripes and drive large grey ships, or hold Master unlimited HP/tonnage licenses for merchant ships with many miles under their keel, and some grey hair.

Boat cards

For small boats up to 75 ft or so I think "Skipper" is the appropriate term. The "Captains" have 4 stripes and drive large grey ships, or hold Master unlimited HP/tonnage licenses for merchant ships with many miles under their keel, and some grey hair.

Sorry to be annoying, folks, but I find this discussion fun and entertaining!
Texas is a whole different country, especially down here on the Redneck Riviera that is the Texas gulf coast. In my semi-retirement I do USCG initial license and renewal physical examinations at our local training center. With very few exceptions, mariners with USCG licensure, OUPV and/or Masters, operating pleasure boats and/or commercial vessels, apply the appellation "Capt." to both their business cards and "boat cards". There are many of us ranging from fishing guide Captains offering 6-pack charters, to "head" boat Captains, to ferry Captains, to tugboat Captains pushing loaded double wides down the Intercoastal, to harbor pilot Captains bringing in 1200' plus super tankers. If one fails to use the appellation "Captain" on the VHF, especially if the appellation used on the VHF is "Skipper", you can expect a very different response.
Thanks for your patience with a very old verbose Captain! Capt. Dwight Burdick

Texas sure is a different mentality.

I love it when all my Texan friends cringe when I remind them that all of Alaska's parks are bigger than Texas.

Not positive as the numbers seem to vary, but they know Alaska is pretty big too.

Last edited:
You are correct Captain Dwight about TX

I’m glad you are enjoying this thread as I am the original poster and have enjoyed the opinions as well. Like I tell my wife one of the amusing things about the forum is on quite a few topics if you get enough responses you have a bell curve.? as many people telling you “don’t dare do XYZ”as there were telling you “all you need to do is XYZ.” I wouldn’t trade anything for the folks that utilize this forum though and even after a few years of being on it I am still amazed and so appreciative! We have a fair amount of sailing experience but have just moved into this new to us troller world. I get excited when I see a posting where I can reply with confidence to assist someone since I feel like everyone is always having to assist me. Hopefully as I gain more experience that will happen more often.
Even though I posted this a little over a week ago, the only opinion that truly mattered in the decision is my wife’s, and it took her about a half a second (as I predicted) to say don’t put it on there so I didn’t. I do already have some double-sided cards with my information regarding my master 50 ton and sail auxiliary, and on the other side I have Bristol Brightwork listed. Contact information on each side. Yes, I’m one of those weird and dying of bunch that actually enjoys Brightwork. When we finish the loop I’m going to give it a go at promoting myself as such and bring in a little side money.
Dwight is correct about Texas because we lived in South Texas for eight years and although I didn’t have my masters yet we did quite a bit of boating and we’re around boaters often.
I’ll also say this about Texans, they are straight shooters…….. literally and figuratively?

Texas is a whole different country, especially down here on the Redneck Riviera that is the Texas gulf coast. In my semi-retirement I do USCG initial license and renewal physical examinations at our local training center. With very few exceptions, mariners with USCG licensure, OUPV and/or Masters, operating pleasure boats and/or commercial vessels, apply the appellation "Capt." to both their business cards and "boat cards". There are many of us ranging from fishing guide Captains offering 6-pack charters, to "head" boat Captains, to ferry Captains, to tugboat Captains pushing loaded double wides down the Intercoastal, to harbor pilot Captains bringing in 1200' plus super tankers. If one fails to use the appellation "Captain" on the VHF, especially if the appellation used on the VHF is "Skipper", you can expect a very different response.

You are correct, Captain is the proper format when hailing and communicating other vessels on the water via VHF. I actually have respect for people who get their 25 or 50 Ton license. I do think the title thing gets a bit overused whether on a business card or meeting someone in person and they introduce themselves as "Captain" when they are running small vessels. Just my .02.

But everywhere isn’t Texas…

But everywhere isn’t Texas…

Dave, it IS to a Texan!:D

If I were to put all my qualifications/titles/etc that I'm entitled to on my boat card, it would have to be a 5x8 instead of a 2.5x3.5 card!

Having said that, most people we meet on the water couldn't give a . . . darn what those letters/titles/qualifications are. We put our vessel name, a pic of the boat, our names, and basic contact info. Leave back empty, and un-glossed to allow people to easily add their own comments. But that's just us . . .:dance:

I have a non-boat title that I am pretty proud and possessive of (DVM). I sign with it and use it in nearly all business correspondence.
Our boat card is one of the few places that I do not use it. It seems contraindicated in that setting. For us, boating is the definition of low key and 'informal'.
This approach could be just because I would instantly lose any boat or boating pissing match......we are pretty much lightweights compared to some of the amazing adventurers we run into, especially in Mexico.

I'm with you brother. DVM

For those who want a line drawing, I had my avatar pic done in Fiverr.com for about $25.

Peter View attachment 134066

That's a great illustration especially for that price. With all the talk of AI this week .. there are now websites out there where you can upload a picture of your boat and it will generate a free illustration of the boat in seconds. Midjourney is one of the websites I tried.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our boat card is a line drawing over the Texas state flag. We get a lot of comments.

We were working on a friend's boat and he ran out of libations in the middle of the project. We found his boat cards, and gave them to every family with kids, offering a free boat ride.

He had to change marinas.

Back
Top Bottom