Bilge pumps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lostsailor13

Vessel Name
Broadbill
Vessel Make
Willard 36
Time to replace my primary bilge pump and just curious what some of you guys are using for your main bilge pump

For small pumps, I've been using the Whale Supersub Smart 650s. They do a good job of drawing down to about 3/4" of remaining water (including drain-back). Don't bother using the included check valve, it causes air locks.

For bigger pumps I've stuck with Rule. Biggest I've got on board is a 3700 mounted pretty high in the engine room bilge.

I use several Rule centrifugals, 1500 gph. Plus one I just recently changed to a Whale gulper 320 for low level dewatering.

Aboard Seaweed I have an 800gph SeaSense as the primary. Then I have two larger orange Johnson 2200's as the "oh shoot!" pumps. The Johnsons have a 5 year warranty. I replaced one at 6 years, and the last one on Friday after 11 years. The SeaSense is lowest/smallest/least costly ($30) and lasts about three years.

If you're shopping, make sure whatever pump you choose has enough head pressure to lift from the bilge up and out. I inherited a 1250 gph pump that couldn't pump water up high enough to exit a sailboat bilge.

And check the things. I check mine the first of every month. This means I lift the float switch and make sure the pump turns on. The SeaSense gets hair Removal (I've got a furry dog, plus long hair so...) Then every three months I flood the bilge and make sure all three pumps will turn on AND pump water overboard.

Why the test? Because one pump made a noise but wouldn't pump a dang thing. That was the first Johnson to fail at year 6. I suspect it had never be wet, so now I get the pumps/blades wet with every season change.

Good luck.

I use a Whale Bilge IC to get the last bit of water out. On our last boat I put i Johnson pumps. They seem to be well built.

Most boats should have two or pumps. The primary pump should be an inexpensive and easily replaced pump to handle normal bilge water. It and its float switch will work a lot and it will wear out. Mounted a few inches above the level that float switch for the first pump turns on should be the big "save the boat" pump and float switch. These will remain dry and unused until such time as the primary pump can't keep up with water inflow.

Our bilge holds a lot more water below the float switch cut off level than I like to have evaporating in the boat when we lay it up for a trip home. So, I installed a separate bilge stripping system consisting of a washdown pump (with strainer). The first pump was low GPM and took way too long to be convenient but, due to it’s low flow rate, it got the bilge virtually dry. The new, larger pump does a great job but starts sucking air with about an inch of water left. This is the new foot suction I’m going to try. The pan head bolts will hold it off the bottom and the wide flange will make it harder for air to be sucked down and around into the hose. |

The bronze floor flange came from a great online place I’ve discovered. GETPVF.com has plumbing parts and fittings. I ordered the flange on Friday and had an email saying it was shipped within an hour. It arrived on Sunday. This is the kind of service you want when you are paying for a marina and have just gone to the hardware store for a plumbing part to find the bin with that size and type empty which seems to be the new normal.

Attachments

• Suction.jpg
    Suction.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 20
My boat is only equipped with one Rule 3700, I plan to replace that one with the same and add a 700 for primary duties and mount the switch for the 3700 just a little higher than the 700's

Back
Top Bottom