Ban of Fish Farms Discovery Islands Historic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, you wanna raise a s%^&tstorm in the PNW, just post an article dealing with farm-raised salmon! Salmon "politics" are entwined with First Nations and US tribal issues, biology, salmon fishermen's livelihoods, logging interests and sustainability, mining, the economy in general, and so many other seemingly intractable social issues as to be (in my opinion) virtually unsolvable to everyone's satisfaction.

I visited Billy Proctor many years ago when the topic of farm-raised salmon came up. He commented that everyone was welcome to visit him and his museum in Proctor Bay, but if a salmon farmer showed up, he'd shoot him. Obviously, Billy is a valiant proponent of wild-caught salmon, and he walks that walk every day rather than simply talking about it. However, he's but one voice in the rainforest, and others may have a viable (and sometimes even reasonable!!!) difference of opinion.

And while the First Nations may have a valid argument for removing those fish farms, I expect there are other folks with a broader interest in feeding "the masses" that have other ideas. In a broader perspective, farm-raised protein is WAY more efficient (cheaper, more plentiful, more sustainable, etc.) than wild-caught, be it cows or fish.

How's THAT for stirring the pot!!!!

Regards,

Pete

Fish farms are illegal in Alaska. Wonder why? Let's see a big choice here:

B.C. farmed salmon, or

Fresh Bristol Bay wild sockeye?

I know which one tastes better....

BTW not trying to stir the pot, just passing on information.

And while the First Nations may have a valid argument for removing those fish farms....
Don't worry about the First Nations, those 19 Discovery farms might just reappear in a nice calm, pristine anchorage, somewhere else.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom