Azimut Magellano 43 ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nick14

Guru
Vessel Name
Culmination
Vessel Make
Helmsman 38 Sedan
Does anyone here happen to own (or have owned) an Azimut Magellano 43?

It's billed as an Italian, 'post modern' trawler.

I'd appreciate any perspectives anyone might have on the boat, particularly build quality, and real-world seakeeping abilities (their marketing touts the 'no slamming' semi-displacement hull design).

Thanks!

From reading... Azimut doesn't have a great rep for build quality for U.S.-destined boats, and it's even less good for after-sale service here in the U.S. Maybe see yachtforums.com for broader input.

-Chris

We have friends with a 43 and they love it. We've traveled with them and it does seem to handle wave conditions well, at least from our view from another boat. It won't do the 30kts I can get out of our EB47 but as I recall they typically cruise at around 17-19kts, which is right about where we also run most of the time. I've been out on one trip on it as a passenger and it rode quite well, but it was only 1-3' conditions on the Chesapeake. They spent two weeks going around the Keys after taking delivery last Winter.

It has a remarkable amount of usable space. The up galley, 3 tables with adult seating for 6, 3 staterooms (though one is a single berth) and two heads. Engine access isn't "walk straight into the engine room" (as some folks fixate about) but it does seem to have decent access to everything in there.

I saw nothing about the build quality that would give me pause, and I'm usually one to pick up on poor design issues.

One note, it has a fixed mast arrangement, so I'd imagine it wouldn't be a Great Loop option for some.

Thank you @wkearney99 and ranger42c, I appreciate it.

Bill, your comments were especially helpful, coming as observations from actually being on the boat.

There is a video on YouTube about someone with an Azimut showing all the problems with the one he had bought new. As I recall it took at least a year to fix all the problems that the boat was delivered with. It seems that the Azimut boats destined for the US are built in Brazil (or somewhere in So. America).

Back
Top Bottom