ASD's new Generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well the NL rep in Seattle, Connor, told me about the process. Really doesn't matter as I eagerly awaiting April 15th....

My generator delivery is still in limbo.... 7 months now. I was told that the engine parts are shipped to Japan and assembled there... then the engine is shipped back to the U.S. and the generator and engine are assembled together in Seattle.... at least that's my NL Reps story...

It all depends on what model of NL you order as to where it is assembled. In ASD’s case it is assembled in Japan and will roll out of the container ready to ship to ASD. There was a recent management shake up at NL. Seems the delays are unacceptable to the board.

Today's update on my generator is that it's supposed to ship from Seattle on 4/23... expected to take a week to the dealer I ordered from which is in Charleston, SC... then 1-2 days to ship to Chesapeake... I'll believe it when I see it....

The first of 3 containers showed up at NL today. The other 2 are still in route. Hopefully ASD's generator is in the first container but my understanding is the other 2 containers should be in before Friday.

Soin2la, current global supply chain is an easy excuse for failing to actually plan and follow up. One can either continue to blame the current global supply chain or one can seek a solution to the problem. Many companies are afraid to boost orders or carry inventory because they believe that current demand is temporary. These companies would rather be unable to ship product than get caught with a warehouse full of stale product. There is no right or wrong answer to this problem, it is a case by case decision. In the case of NL, they feel things could or should have been done better. Was I in the room? Yes, but I'm not going to divulge which room I was in.

My generator delivery is still in limbo.... 7 months now. I was told that the engine parts are shipped to Japan and assembled there... then the engine is shipped back to the U.S. and the generator and engine are assembled together in Seattle.... at least that's my NL Reps story...
At my place we are seeing anywhere from 6 months to a year from order to delivery for any home or industrial unit. We are just waiting for them to show up.

The first of 3 containers showed up at NL today. The other 2 are still in route. Hopefully ASD's generator is in the first container but my understanding is the other 2 containers should be in before Friday.

Soin2la, current global supply chain is an easy excuse for failing to actually plan and follow up. One can either continue to blame the current global supply chain or one can seek a solution to the problem. Many companies are afraid to boost orders or carry inventory because they believe that current demand is temporary. These companies would rather be unable to ship product than get caught with a warehouse full of stale product. There is no right or wrong answer to this problem, it is a case by case decision. In the case of NL, they feel things could or should have been done better. Was I in the room? Yes, but I'm not going to divulge which room I was in.
Thanks for the insight. Getting excited

Update.

Generator was recieved today in Portland Or.

Scheduling install date the second week of May. Moving forward.

Update.

Generator was recieved today in Portland Or.

Scheduling install date the second week of May. Moving forward.

I know that you and Kay will be ready to leave for AK after a very brief genset test run. There is good support for NL up there, particularly in Ketch. Let me know if you want his name...I probably got it from AL. It will probably run perfect, though.

So if you order a new boat, the delay time for the boat is 2+ Years, combined with a 2+ year delay on a new generator should meet up at the proper time. :whistling:

You could also get the size and model number then go hunting at the building boat yards. Maybe they have one they want to sell.

Got my crew together and heading to Portland this morning. About a 5 hour run. 20220503_073313.jpg

Wishing you the easiest of installation!:thumb:

A couple of years ago I replaced a 1979 3kw Onan MDJA, (original to the boat) with a used NL 5 kw with about 750 hours on it for $5000. I swapped out the genset, which was located in the lazertte, with the help of the yacht club mast tower. The install went well, adding 20 feet of wire to the controll head located at the lower pilot station.

The Northern Lights genset is wonderful and easy to work on. If you phone Northern lights they will help you and answer your questions. There is also a lot of informative videos on youtube from Northern lights.

So we motored for 6 hours to Portland. My best friends was the crew. Got to practice my bridge swing calling. Thanks Mike.

To get to Cook Engines you have to go past Hayden Island then enter a channel 30 feet wide and shallow. We saw 8 feet. All around it was 4-6 ft deep. There is also the current from Bonneville Dam.

Then we saw the entrance. Holy crap it was narrow. I missed the first approach. Then I entered crabbing. Holy crap batman. Made my way down the ally keeping the bow into the current. The the stern kissed a log.

Cook Engines has only 3 slips.

Got tied up. My hands were shaking on this one. Visited the mechanic and mapped out the install. Once they remove the Onan, I will clean the bilge and paint it. They told me it would be a week or so to install.20220503_115436.jpg20220503_115725.jpg20220503_115733.jpgResized_20220503_140921.jpgResized_20220503_140608.jpg

Update. The aux panel and associated wiring installed. The old Onan 8kw has been removed. This unit is going to a friend to rebuild. I hope he can get parts.

The NL 9kw is on its way to be installed. The Onan sits in the cockpit on plywood. This is being replaced with starboard. A new exhaust outlet has been installed.

Should be done on Thursday. Will post pics once I get back to ASD.

Excited

Ya Buddy!

Glad Ron and Jerry were able to assist! Hope Cooks can keep up the pace on the install and dont have any parts issue’s. Guess you taking up a valuable dock space is a motivator for them.

Cheers!

I have a running generator!! A new stand a lone exhust port was installed on the stern above the waterline. They rerouted the exhust. Intake has a loop in it, so I don’t hydralock the engine.

Observations. It is a little louder than my Onan. But that's ok.OK. This project is finally completed.20220513_184907.jpg20220513_184753.jpg20220513_184748.jpg20220513_184548.jpg20220513_184453.jpg

Fantastic!!!
Next step a 12 hr, under-load test.

Ya Buddy!

Glad Ron and Jerry were able to assist! Hope Cooks can keep up the pace on the install and dont have any parts issue’s. Guess you taking up a valuable dock space is a motivator for them.

Cheers!

John, are you still on the 'right coast' after selling your boat?

Good goin' Tom. When do you leave for the summer?
Still debating. Filled up today in St. Helens OR. 300 gallons, $1500. Just to go to Alaska K-Town and back, no messing around is at least 8 fillups at around 300-350 gallons or $12,000+

Admiral not happy with cost. Double from last year. We may sit this year out.

That's a pretty nice panel for a generator! I've always wondered why gauges for a genset aren't more common...

I hear you on the fuel prices... This last jump has been big and sudden enough that unless I can confirm today whether the fuel dock at our home marina has contracted their price for the whole season like they often do, I may put some extra fuel in the tanks today just in case the price changes soon (hasn't changed yet since they opened for the season, but based on current street price, I figure if it does it'll jump easily 40 cents).

rs, NY??
what's the price now?

Our marina is showing $5.54 for gas (90 octane ethanol free) and $5.98 for diesel. They did indicate it's likely to go up soon (to probably over $6 for gas) so we put another 100 gallons in the tanks today.

So it does NOT exhaust into the main engine exhaust tube as shown in the picture? That’s what they moved to a new dedicated exhaust port? I suspect that was the source of your original problems.

Back
Top Bottom