ASD 2021 Preparations for SE Alaska Cruiese

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wait, huh, wha??? You played around in Misty Fjords, BEFORE checking in with AK customs? Or did you clear into AK with ROAM ASAP you crossed the border, went to Misty Fjords, then into Ketchikan? I suspect the later. But then, how did the ROAM application deal with the quarantine time?

And if you had already cleared via ROAM (haven't used ROAM for a while, but presumably they issued you a clearance number), what do you mean by "...We checked in (in Ketchikan) and were free to go." Checked in with whom? If you'd already cleared via ROAM, why "check in" again?

Regards,

Pete

Regards,

Pete

Maybe this?

US Customs has nothing to do with quarantining requirements. That is at the discretion of the state, and in Alaska, it's being handled by harbor masters when boats are entering the state.

Ilwaco for Haul Out

Took off from ASD's winter dock and headed to Ilwaco WA for the annual haul out. I looked at the weather and moved the departure day back to Wednesday as there was some winds coming up Thursday Afternoon.

We left at 10 AM and had nice smooth run or 57.6 miles. As we pulled into Ilwaco marina the wind started and was blowing us away from the dock. Took 5 runs at the dock and finally had a bow line tied and was able to bring the stern around.

By 5 PM the we had a steady 25mph and it was going to get stronger over night. Well this sucks as I was adding additional lines. Good thing I did. By 10 PM we had gale winds blowing. Never seen white capes inside a marina. By 8 AM, the haul out was cancelled and they don't work on weekends. 11 AM on Monday is our new haul out.

Not much sleep last night with the howling of the wind and creaking of the lines. The winds pick up and we are having 42mph wind gust with 32mph steady.

So here ASD sits in the marina in the wind and rain. Winds are suppose to reduce later tonight. :smitten:

A few pics from the travel down river.

Attachments

• IMG_9169.jpg
    IMG_9169.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_9170.jpg
    IMG_9170.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_9171.jpg
    IMG_9171.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_9172.jpg
    IMG_9172.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_9173.jpg
    IMG_9173.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_9181.jpg
    IMG_9181.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_9184.jpg
    IMG_9184.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_9185.jpg
    IMG_9185.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 34
  • ASD_IMG_9168_Rot_2.jpg
    ASD_IMG_9168_Rot_2.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 20
Last edited by a moderator:
A few more pics. Friends on the sundeck. Today we had lunch at SALT restaurant and Pub. So nice to support local small businesses again.20210319_113330.jpegIMG959138.jpegIMG959140.jpegIMG959146.jpegIMG959147.jpeg20210317_162532.jpeg

Better to be tied down in Ilwaco then out on the other side of the bar.

On the Hard

After getting beat around in the marina for 2 days with 40+mph wind we finally get hauled out. At first look the bottom is not that bad. I had to laugh as last year we hired a diver to change the zincs. He left the old ones on.

This time out of the water will be to fix the swim step, wax and polish the hull. Ilwaco has a new lift which is awesome. for not being out in 2 years she doesn't look that bad. A good power wash and time to go to work.

With fuel tanks at 3/4 full, full water, ASD comes in at 48,000 pounds.

Attachments

• IMG_9188.jpg
    IMG_9188.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_9189.jpg
    IMG_9189.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_9191.jpg
    IMG_9191.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_9197.jpg
    IMG_9197.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_9205.jpg
    IMG_9205.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_9209.jpg
    IMG_9209.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 38
Wax on wax off. The port side is almost done. Not bad for 2 years of neglect. Using lots of pads. I must say, it coming out pretty good.20210327_113727.jpeg20210327_113707.jpeg20210325_163719.jpeg20210325_163709.jpeg

The ole gal is getting some love on her hull! Daniel son, dont skimp on the wax, might be another 2 years before next haul out!
Cheers Buddy

Was a warm one down here today, 90 and the fans are working overtime, LOL!

The ole gal is getting some love on her hull! Daniel son, dont skimp on the wax, might be another 2 years before next haul out!
Cheers Buddy

Was a warm one down here today, 90 and the fans are working overtime, LOL!
Gel-coat guy coming later next week. A few battle scars to fix.

Tom, are you well stocked with Klondike bars?

Looks like you're doing a good job on ASD's hull. Keep up the good work and you will be looking good when you arrive at K-town.

Lesson Learned today

When the wind is forecast to be 20+mph and the boat is on the hard about 10 ft in the air, make sure the boarding ladder is tied to the boat so you can get off!!:banghead::facepalm:

Alaskan Sea-Duction said:
It was designed by a guy in Taiwan who went on to design OA and Offshore

I really doubt either Ed Monk Jr. or William Crealock designed the Camargue.

I really doubt either Ed Monk Jr. or William Crealock designed the Camargue.

Nope you are correct. Never stated it was Monk or Crealock.

It was Henry Chiu, Camargue Yacht Co, Ltd, Kaohsiung, Taiwan

You said:
It was designed by a guy in Taiwan who went on to design OA and Offshore
And:
Never stated it was Monk or Crealock. It was Henry Chiu.

In the interests of accuracy and not misrepresenting the players,
Camargue was designed by Charles Chung, Ocean Alexander was designed by Ed Monk Jr. and Offshore was designed by William Crealock.

Henry Chiu worked as a manager at Ocean Marine Co. and Ocean Alexander Marine before founding Camargue Yacht Co.

The first Camargue, the 48YF was commissioned in 1987.

The Camargue yard built Offshore yachts.

You said:

And:

In the interests of accuracy and not misrepresenting the players,
Camargue was designed by Charles Chung, Ocean Alexander was designed by Ed Monk Jr. and Offshore was designed by William Crealock.

Henry Chiu worked as a manager at Ocean Marine Co. and Ocean Alexander Marine before founding Camargue Yacht Co.

The first Camargue, the 48YF was commissioned in 1987.

The Camargue yard built Offshore yachts.
Oh you are the accuracy police now. Nice to know.

Your hull looks much like a Uniflite.

This is pretty much all I have on Camargue. I think they still make hulls for other companies. In France there is also a company called Camargue, which manufactures sail boats.

CAMARGUE YACHT
COMPANY
FOUNDED:

FOUNDER’S NAME:
Henry Chiu

Henry Chiu began his boat-building
career in 1975 as a manager of Ocean
Marine Co. and Ocean Alexander Marine
in Taiwan. He went on to found
Camargue Yacht Co., Ltd. in Kaohsiung,
Taiwan in 1986.Camargue has built several
different yacht designs over the
years, mostly for export to the U.S. and
other countries.

The company’s first yacht, the
Camargue 48 Yachtfisher, was designed
by Charles Chung and completed in
1987. By 1992, 55 of the 42 Sundeck and
48 Yachtfisher models had been delivered
to America, Europe,Australia,
Canada, Japan and Hong Kong. Since
1992,Camargue’s manufacturing facility
has produced even larger vessels, such
as Offshore Yachts 52-foot Sedan, 55-
foot and 62-foot Pilot House and 62
Flush Deck. Camargue has built and
delivered 93 boats to Offshore Yachts.
After 22 years, Camargue Yacht Co. is
a very experienced and qualified
builder, with a highly skilled workforce.

Using the highest quality, made-in-USA
components and systems, every yacht is
finished to yacht-quality standards in
every detail. Camargue stands behind
the yachts it builds, and everyone works
together to make the best product for
the customer.

The Out Islander 64-foot Long
Range Cruiser is currently in production
at Camargue. Greg Sturgis, the East
Coast distributor for Offshore Yachts,
worked with the late Tom Fexas to create
this new yacht, which was designed
from the keel up for a special niche: the
owner-operated long-range cruising
yacht. The Out Islander 64 has the speed
to outrun bad weather (with a top
speed of 20-plus knots), with the range
and ability to cross oceans at more
modest speeds. It draws a scant 4 feet,
10 inches, but retains excellent directional
stability because of its long shallow
keel. Making the hull as strong as
possible, while keeping the weight
down, is achieved with hand-laid solid
structural fiberglass below the waterline
and vacuum-bagged Core-Cell structural
components above the waterline.
The lighter weight also contributes to
fuel efficiency. It will be unveiled at the
Spring 2009 boat shows.

Key personnel at Camargue include
Henry Chiu, company president; Jim Wu,
managing director; and Clare Huang,
production engineer.

Thanks for that info ASD. As you likely know, today there are a few very good yards in Taiwan building a variety of well known yachts. Craftsman/trades will often move between the yards as their particular specialty waxes and wanes between the builds in progress. This type of skill sharing has allowed Taiwanese builds under a number of top name banners to be innovative, cost effective and successful during the past few decades.

Similarly, the detail design houses can move between builders as electrical, mechanical, plumbing, FRP and interior activities arise from model to model and different brands.

Spent the day cutting and waxing the stbd. Its been 2 years since ASD got a face lift. Glad I bought more pads and a bucket of Buff Magic from Shurhold. I really like their products. Tomorrow the stbd gets polish.
Friday I have a gel-coat guy coming to repair battle scars.

Now a steak, tator, with a scotch and cigar.

Tom, y'all gonna buff off that blue strip, ain't ya? Doesn't match the rest of the blue. Just funnin' ya my friend. ASD is looking like she's happy with your tender touch.

Tom, y'all gonna buff off that blue strip, ain't ya? Doesn't match the rest of the blue. Just funnin' ya my friend. ASD is looking like she's happy with your tender touch.
Thanks Mike.

Ahhh the blue/black stripe. When worked the other side it took forever to bring the shine back. Turned my cutting pad black, nasty and ruined the pad! But I can see my ugly mug in it now.

Turning out nice and shiny, great job.

I've heard the more Scotch involved - the nicer the job done!

annual tax for border patrol

What is the annual tax for Border Patrol?

QUOTE=Alaskan Sea-Duction;965838]So the purpose of this thread is to share what ASD's crew is doing to prepare for a summer cruise to SE Alaska. We have a check list of items that need to be accomplish before Crossing the Columbia River Bar.

I would respectively request those who want to discuss COVID to please take your comments to a different thread.

While sitting on the dock yesterday, the Admiral and I started to run down the list of things we would have to do to get ASD ready. It's been a year since she has tasted salt water.

So what have we done so Far? Not much, but it is a start.

1. Received my 2021 Waggoner and Tides and Current

2. Payed the (extortion) annual tax for border patrol

3. Re-applied for my NEXUS Card. It was a good thing the Admiral brought this up as it expired in April.

4. I have arranged for an annual two week haul out at the end of March. Inspect and fix anything on the hull. Cut, buff and wax the hull.

Come March we start unloading storage and packing the boat. We will also run each system and update the navigation charts.

The chart updates are a spendy one, $100 per card. I have 3 Navionics cards and CE Canadian charts.

Not much to start, and lots of $$ but we are making the process.

We will keep everyone updated on our progress.

Again, take your COVID discussions to a different thread.[/QUOTE]

what is the annual tax for border patrol?

Quote=alaskan sea-duction;965838]so the purpose of this thread is to share what asd's crew is doing to prepare for a summer cruise to se alaska. We have a check list of items that need to be accomplish before crossing the columbia river bar.

I would respectively request those who want to discuss covid to please take your comments to a different thread.

While sitting on the dock yesterday, the admiral and i started to run down the list of things we would have to do to get asd ready. It's been a year since she has tasted salt water.

So what have we done so far? Not much, but it is a start.

1. Received my 2021 waggoner and tides and current

2. Payed the (extortion) annual tax for border patrol

3. Re-applied for my nexus card. It was a good thing the admiral brought this up as it expired in april.

4. I have arranged for an annual two week haul out at the end of march. Inspect and fix anything on the hull. Cut, buff and wax the hull.

Come march we start unloading storage and packing the boat. We will also run each system and update the navigation charts.

The chart updates are a spendy one, $100 per card. I have 3 navionics cards and ce canadian charts.

Not much to start, and lots of $$ but we are making the process.

We will keep everyone updated on our progress.

Again, take your covid discussions to a different thread.
[/quote]$29.90

Back
Top Bottom