Anyone Cruising These Days?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are some places to get out and walk around, mostly where there are town docks or state parks. Ravine Gardens in Palatka were spectacular. Overall trip was a 9/10 for us. Fantastic.

Here are a couple of our blogs for that trip we did last fall with places we chose to stop/anchor - Southbound and Northbound

That looks like such a great cruise. After all this Covid19 stuff is over we are planning to move our boat to Jacksonville from Stuart, and I would love to make this river trip.

We draw about 4’. Will that be OK?

I need to get my new boat from Charleston to the Chesapeake in late April/early May. Any advice?

Advice is don't even think it. Not worth the potential issues you might face. Shelter in place.

That looks like such a great cruise. After all this Covid19 stuff is over we are planning to move our boat to Jacksonville from Stuart, and I would love to make this river trip.

We draw about 4’. Will that be OK?

You'll have no trouble at all at 4ft. It will be one of the best out-and-back cruises you will do!

Not sure how the bug thing will be in the summer - it was not bad at all in October/November. Plan on a week in Sanford to see -- no, EAT-- everything in the town. FOUR breweries withing walking distance of the marina (hope they can stay solvent!).

Last edited:
Wifey B: We last were out on Sunday. Took a cruise to nowhere. Just went out to sea and spent the day offshore. We may repeat this weekend one day. Nice escape from reality for a few hours. We have enough fuel on board for at least 80-100 hours of such day cruising. Also, we fuel by truck so could get more if needed.

The joy of it is that it's the only time we leave our home where we're sequestered with a group of people who also don't leave the premises. No contact by any of us with the outside world. Able to coordinate business from here plus stay in touch with family and friends. Google meetings is our real lifeline. :)

Joy is we can relax and enjoy the breeze, salt air, beauty of the sea. Can kayak or paddleboard but with extreme caution as we know a trip to ER could be deadly.

Negative is still confined. Go from home confinement to sea confinement. However, confinement is a small price to pay and no complaints when we see what so many are going through. :(

It's hard to get too excited about cruising out to nowhere right now, but it's a diversion and we figure all we'll have until at least July and could be longer.

Greatest fear right now. Early season hurricane. All the normal steps one takes for a hurricane are so in conflict with steps for Covid 19. :eek: Don't think of this one too much cause it's really very scary to imagine.

I will be heading to the Bay in a few weeks from Chucktown. Watching the Waterway Guide updates linked above and I’ll call to confirm as needed. Also trying to keep up with what state and local governments are doing that could effect interstate transit.

As long as I can stop for water once a week or so, I’m not expecting problems. Since I won’t be going to restaurants or visiting I don’t need to tie up and will anchor out along the way. In my circumstance I don’t consider staying here a practical option.

I won't be going cruising. Until recently I was in the "I'm on my boat, social distancing to the max, what harm can it do to go for a cruise?" camp.

I've changed my tune with the 'aid' of a few TFers on another thread correcting my thinking. I've also been reading about the impact visitors can have on small communities.

I had reasoned that I'm not a dock hopping cruiser, I seek out solitude, I know how to provision and prep for up to a month. I have a watermaker. I have no need to go ashore near other people and happy to do so. Only going ashore on remote beaches for exercise and to walk the dog.

It had seemed to me I'd not be harming anyone. It turns out there are flaws in my thinking. At some point I may require assistance, medical, break downs, towing you name it. At that point I will come into contact with other people.

In the case of needing medical assistance if I'm evacuated to the medical facility of a small town I will be a significant load on their system.

If you're wanting to cruise please consider why we're all being asked to stay home. If your cruising style involves going to restaurants, bars and shops as you dock hop then really, for the sake of all, please don't go.

Yes, to be asked to stay home seems like a loss of freedom. I had chafed at that loss. Now I'm seeing it as an exercise in responsible freedom. The freedom to make the right choice.

I won't be going cruising. Until recently I was in the "I'm on my boat, social distancing to the max, what harm can it do to go for a cruise?" camp.

I've changed my tune with the 'aid' of a few TFers on another thread correcting my thinking. I've also been reading about the impact visitors can have on small communities.

I had reasoned that I'm not a dock hopping cruiser, I seek out solitude, I know how to provision and prep for up to a month. I have a watermaker. I have no need to go ashore near other people and happy to do so. Only going ashore on remote beaches for exercise and to walk the dog.

It had seemed to me I'd not be harming anyone. It turns out there are flaws in my thinking. At some point I may require assistance, medical, break downs, towing you name it. At that point I will come into contact with other people.

In the case of needing medical assistance if I'm evacuated to the medical facility of a small town I will be a significant load on their system.

If you're wanting to cruise please consider why we're all being asked to stay home. If your cruising style involves going to restaurants, bars and shops as you dock hop then really, for the sake of all, please don't go.

Yes, to be asked to stay home seems like a loss of freedom. I had chafed at that loss. Now I'm seeing it as an exercise in responsible freedom. The freedom to make the right choice.

Thank you for that. A good reminder for me.

I've been tossing around ideas in my head for what to do beyond day trips once the boat is in the water. That's currently estimated to be about 6 weeks out, so way too early for any concrete plans or even to know for sure what's a good idea or not.

So far, I'm planning nothing more than a couple of days, no more than a couple hours running time from home, and well within fuel range to get there and back without taking on fuel. So no provisioning, no fuel, etc. away from home to avoid human contact. No travel to remote areas either, as another step to minimize concerns related to "stuff happens". Pretty much limiting it to probably a few long weekends close to home.

...Need to get fuel one more time before crossing. Hopefully Bimini Sands has their fuel dock up and running.

So yes, i’m cruising at the moment.

Bimini Bluewater Marina’s fuel dock was up and running two weeks ago. They’re the only gas station in Alicetown and the tanks were full according RJ.

We considered a run down the St John's since we have never done it. In fact I used WG to look at all of the anchorages earlier this week.

What has moved us back to Cumberland is the fact that we like to go ashore once or twice a day for nice long walks. It looks like many of the anchorages down the St Johns are by dense wooded areas with little or no opportunity to get off the boat and walk.

Is that what you found?
You have to look hard for daily shore walks. Many spots for that might require more socializing than we are currently willing to risk. I don’t know anyplace better than Cumberland for secluded walks especially since the ferry is not running. We only stepped ashore the one time we fueled. Spent a lot of time in the dingy fishing and running tiny creeks while we were anchored in those dense wooded areas. We would probably still be there but we had dingy outboard issues and returned to Jacksonville to get our spare motor.

We just got anchored in Doctors Lake off the St Johns River just south of Jacksonville. As we were leaving the Ortega River and I still had my VHF on Ch09 I heard an incoming vessel calling the Main Street Bridge requesting a “small opening “ He told the Bridge tender he was not sure his outriggers would clear. Bridge gave an opening no problem .
The reason I am reporting this is what happened next. In addition to asking the name of the vessel the bridge tender then asked for the vessels Home port, the captains name and his address. WHAT DO YOU SUPPOSE THAT WAS ABOUT ?

Very well said. We had been chomping for an a couple nights on the hook nearby and we are well maintained, but did not consider the impact to others if we needed to yell for help. We are lucky to be healthy and on our boat in a nice marina, even if we are not cruising right now.

We just got anchored in Doctors Lake off the St Johns River just south of Jacksonville. As we were leaving the Ortega River and I still had my VHF on Ch09 I heard an incoming vessel calling the Main Street Bridge requesting a “small opening “ He told the Bridge tender he was not sure his outriggers would clear. Bridge gave an opening no problem .
The reason I am reporting this is what happened next. In addition to asking the name of the vessel the bridge tender then asked for the vessels Home port, the captains name and his address. WHAT DO YOU SUPPOSE THAT WAS ABOUT ?

He may be reported for not lowering his outriggers to pass through without an opening as he is rule bound to do.

He may be reported for not lowering his outriggers to pass through without an opening as he is rule bound to do.

The Bridge tender did ask if it was possible for him to lower his outriggers and he replied that it was not possible.

Yes, a great reminder, thank you

This is what the solution looks like. A minor individual sacrifice for the good of the greater community. It needs >80% of people to have the same mindset before the curves turn down. The shortages of masks/beds/ventilators etc are issues, for sure, but a distraction from what we need to do.

Scroll down to the graph to see the impact of this. And then look at what happens when the distancing is relaxed /removed.

http://theconversation.com/want-to-...ective-its-about-time-as-well-as-space-134551

Prepare for 6-12 months of distancing. If successful, international travel might be able to re-start but I would hope that mandatory & supervised 14 day isolation at any and all ports of entry would be enforced. The world has changed.

Last edited:
Wifey B: We have rigidly stayed isolated with a group of people, no one allowed in or out of the group. Now we did take the infamous trip to nowhere on the boat today, just off shore and enjoying the sea air and the view. Was shocked how packed the ICW was but no one congregating or anything bad, just out for a Saturday stroll. About like people going out for a walk. Fast boats going slow even. No activity at marinas. Most local marinas closed but a couple open. I think the boats we saw were mostly people who live on the water, just got in their boat and puttering around. Much like I've heard of some just getting in their car and taking a drive around, not stopping anywhere on the trip.

I'd toss in a little advice to all. Get outdoors if you can safely. Even if it's just walking around your yard. It's refreshing. Also, by phone or cam, preferably camera of some sort, have some social interaction, talk to friends and family. I think if you do these two things you won't feel as imprisoned by the situation. :)

Bimini Bluewater Marina’s fuel dock was up and running two weeks ago. They’re the only gas station in Alicetown and the tanks were full according RJ.

I should have gotten fuel yesterday. I pulled into Morgan’s Bluff this morning. Was going to top off and start heading back.

One of the commercial fishermen came over and told me the entire country is on a 24 hour per day lockdown. Fuel dock along with everything else closed. No one is even supposed to leave their house.

But he told me I could tie up until Monday and I should be able to get fuel then. I asked about Bimini. He said that the BDF has a perimeter set up around Bimini. No one is allowed in.

Shortly after that, the harbor master drove up and nicely ran me off. Said I couldn’t even anchor in the harbor and that I wasn’t supposed to even be moving around this weekend.

The Prime Minister will make an announcement Monday about opening things back up. But for now, i’m stuck.

The joys of living aboard in one of the best cruising areas in the world.

Attachments

• A8498207-3E1B-492F-8EB3-49DCD5EBE589.jpg
    A8498207-3E1B-492F-8EB3-49DCD5EBE589.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 57

I'd toss in a little advice to all. Get outdoors if you can safely. Even if it's just walking around your yard. It's refreshing. Also, by phone or cam, preferably camera of some sort, have some social interaction, talk to friends and family. I think if you do these two things you won't feel as imprisoned by the situation. :)

Imprisoned?
It hasn't been long.

We've been aboard in social isolation for 4 years
Being near people freaks us out a bit.
Just another day for us ;)

We just got back from spending 2 nights at anchor just west of Cumberland. It was social distancing at its finest. We celebrated our 2 year olds birthday, fished, watched dolphins, and putted around in the electric dink “exploring”. With all of the uncertainty, those few days away from everything that’s going on was a much needed break.

We talked about if this trip could possibly put others at risk and we decided that it was actually less of a risk than our day to day at home.

Drone shot
https://youtu.be/Jk3B1Gyvjf4

Attachments

• 034F1A7C-4BAE-44F8-8E01-A5AE3423484D.jpg
    034F1A7C-4BAE-44F8-8E01-A5AE3423484D.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 5A3F853C-A4BD-4A9E-816F-AA04EDCDFCEB.jpg
    5A3F853C-A4BD-4A9E-816F-AA04EDCDFCEB.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 85636D14-6BED-4C7C-BD04-5E99099ACFC7.jpg
    85636D14-6BED-4C7C-BD04-5E99099ACFC7.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 49
Nice. Durn pity they shut the island to private boaters just before you got there!

Nice. Durn pity they shut the island to private boaters just before you got there!

Did they really? I wasn’t even aware. Next time we’d like to anchor somewhere with a beach that we can dink to. Know of anywhere that’s relatively close to Jekyll?

Closing in on a total shutdown of recreational boating here in BC.
In Bella Bella, the local indigenous community of Heiltsuik are reminding us of the devastation caused by the mid 19th century smallpox on their nation. Wiki says 50% to 90% of BC and Washington indigenous communities were wiped out by that epidemic. They are telling recreational boaters to STAY HOME.
In Vancouver, Stanley park will be closed to vehicles from midnight tonight. That will make getting to boats at the RVYC and Rowing Club docks more difficult.
Here on Saltspring, and for the rest of the Southern Gulf Islands, our Trustees have told those with second homes here to stay away, tourists too. Most of the tourist accommodation is now shut down. Our RVYC Outstation is officially closed.
I can see the extreme reduction in traffic from my living room, as I have a view of Houstoun Passage and Trincomali Channel. Wallace Island, a favourite of many TF boaters, is seeing some die hard traffic, but the volume is down from a couple of weeks ago. I can see much of the space available for anchoring and tying back in Conover Cove, and today no boats are visible. Traffic past my home today has been 1 sailboat and 2 commercial Crab boats. Not even any shipping today!
The very clear message from our Medical authorities is to Stay home.

I'm in my 70s, bad lungs, but don't get the panic. And my health care is the VA. The statistics show that so far the virus isn't as deadly as auto accidents. Grouped together, the big city gangs could compete in the deaths category. Both cancer and heart disease kill about 1/2 million each yearly.
I liveaboard, so wherever I am, I'm self quarantined. My boat always has a couple months of food and supplies. The commercial fuel docks are open, and I don't need to get within 6' of someone to fuel. If I went to Alaska now, I'd probably bypass Canada and go on the outside of Vancouver Island. Then anchor somewhere in the SE until the Chicken Littles of the world regain their senses.

I'm in my 70s, bad lungs, but don't get the panic. And my health care is the VA. The statistics show that so far the virus isn't as deadly as auto accidents. Grouped together, the big city gangs could compete in the deaths category. Both cancer and heart disease kill about 1/2 million each yearly.
I liveaboard, so wherever I am, I'm self quarantined. My boat always has a couple months of food and supplies. The commercial fuel docks are open, and I don't need to get within 6' of someone to fuel. If I went to Alaska now, I'd probably bypass Canada and go on the outside of Vancouver Island. Then anchor somewhere in the SE until the Chicken Littles of the world regain their senses.

I understand it’s sometimes hard to think critically about a new threat, especially when that threat is fairly unknown, and when you have a federal leadership giving you bad information daily.

Some people, the “chicken littles” as you put it, might need to be a little more cautious due to family concerns, medical conditions, financial issues, etc. I know it’s difficult to put yourself it other’s shoes, but it might help you understand them.

Good luck to you and I hope those bad lungs hold up.

I'm in my 70s, bad lungs, but don't get the panic.... The statistics show that so far the virus isn't as deadly as auto accidents. ... Both cancer and heart disease kill about 1/2 million each yearly.
I liveaboard, so ... I'd probably bypass Canada and go on the outside of Vancouver Island. Then anchor somewhere in the SE until the Chicken Littles of the world regain their senses.

I don't consider myself a "Chicken Little," or think that my senses have been lost. You mention cancer and heart disease killing a half million yearly. I'm no math whiz, but wouldn't the exponential growth of Covid-19 kill a heck of a lot more in a year? I don't read of hospitals being overwhelmed by Cancer and heart disease patients as they are (already, early in the game) with Covid-19. I don't understand how being concerned is misguided to the point where those of us who are taking it seriously are worthy of scorn.

I don't consider myself a "Chicken Little," or think that my senses have been lost. You mention cancer and heart disease killing a half million yearly. I'm no math whiz, but wouldn't the exponential growth of Covid-19 kill a heck of a lot more in a year? I don't read of hospitals being overwhelmed by Cancer and heart disease patients as they are (already, early in the game) with Covid-19. I don't understand how being concerned is misguided to the point where those of us who are taking it seriously are worthy of scorn.

He is not scorning you.

He is basically saying he doesn't really understand the impact of this virus and is OK if he dies from it as from anything else he has, no matter if it increases his chances of dying mulitfold.

Last edited:
I really appreciate the discussion on where to cruise, the planning, and the "looking forward to going" that this thread offers. I think having that to look forward to, and planning for it to happen (now or in the near future) is important right now. It's healthy! We need it. Hopefully we soon learn this virus is far, far, far more widespread and many more of us have had exposure to it over more months than we have even known about it, and survived just fine. That would be a huge step toward getting back to normal. From an economic standpoint, we have to do it anyway. We have to open things back up in a reasonable amount of time (you can define reasonable -- we don't yet know what that is). I also think we will find it is safe to do so. Not today -- so please don't blast me or call me heartless or careless. I'm neither of those things. My loved ones and I are no more immune to this than anyone else. The economic reality is we have no choice. I hope the medical reality will turn out that we were OK to do so. I think that will be the case.

If so, where are you boating?

As I posted we were up at Cumberland last week. We are now provisioning for a longer stay at anchor up there - probably around two weeks starting Monday.

Those of you out boating, for a day or longer, what are you up to?

Down Under it’s strictly “essential travel only” so no boating for us. As from last Wednesday week, where you spent the night is where you are to remain isolated for the next 4 weeks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom