Old 01-26-2018, 11:49 AM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
Also, there’s a valve in the Vetus that only opens when the pressure is removed, thus breaking the siphon.
I understand. Believe Tony Athens has an article about this on his website. Would rather have the system without the valve going out the hull. One less saltwater mechanism to remember to maintain.

Ted

"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:03 PM   #22
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
I understand. Believe Tony Athens has an article about this on his website. Would rather have the system without the valve going out the hull. One less saltwater mechanism to remember to maintain.

Ted
I assume you mean the blue hose going to the stern tube, because the vent line goes to the muffler, not out the hull.

Yeah, I’d rather not have those blue lines either, and there’s some debate about whether they’re really needed on relatively slow-spinning shafts. They may serve to introduce oxygen into an area that could be starved of it where the shaft penetrates the hull and goes straight into a cutless bearing. It’s an almost cave-like space. My thought is they’re a means of preventing crevice corrosion on stainless shafts and my stuffing boxes always run cool, so I kept them.

angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 11:04 PM   #23

City: Jacksonville, FL
Vessel Name: Seven Tenths (is for SALE)
Vessel Model: Mirage / Great Harbour 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Hi Henry,
Is your syphon break on the suction or pressure side of the pump?

Ted
Ted,
The hose from the heat exchanger, goes up to a U pipe with a Scot Vacuum breaker valve (with a little spring) and then down to the exhaust elbow. The anti-siphon value is about 13" above the top of the elbow. The anti-siphon value is about 7" about the waterline.

What I don't like about the Scot vacuum breaker is that when salt or anything gets in the valve, it sprays saltwater in the roof of the engine room.

I have considered taking the breaker off, and running a 3/8" tube across the ceiling (5 feet) , into the aft wall and up a few feet to a vent screen. My concern with putting a tube/hose horizontal is that it could sag and create a water/airlock.
HenryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:46 AM   #24
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Use something rigid or tubing in something rigid like a piece of pvc or pvc conduit.

Although I think if a siphon started, that tiny bit of water in a thin tube would get sucked right out and break the siphon.

The only thing I hate about the tube, is I tend to get a bit of staining on the hull like the bow brown mustache...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 08:53 AM   #25
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryD View Post
Ted,
The hose from the heat exchanger, goes up to a U pipe with a Scot Vacuum breaker valve (with a little spring) and then down to the exhaust elbow. The anti-siphon value is about 13" above the top of the elbow. The anti-siphon value is about 7" about the waterline.

What I don't like about the Scot vacuum breaker is that when salt or anything gets in the valve, it sprays saltwater in the roof of the engine room.

I have considered taking the breaker off, and running a 3/8" tube across the ceiling (5 feet) , into the aft wall and up a few feet to a vent screen. My concern with putting a tube/hose horizontal is that it could sag and create a water/airlock.
A few engine room pics would help.

Would it be possible to run a 3/8" line from the top of the syphon break and vent it into the top of the exhaust tube after the lift muffler?

Ted

"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote