Old 05-31-2017, 12:37 PM   #41
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Oh dear, thanks Dave. So wifey D, Bruce B's better half is Dorsey, and the yachting expert. Sorry, my bad, but I'm sure she understood where I was coming from.

PS. This is the yacht I won the race with at that same time there was all that core sample talk by big Dennis C., prompting my fellow sailors to demand core samples from her back at the clubhouse. Boy those beers tasted good..

She was named 'Black Widow' by the way. By the original owner who was the builder as well. He named all his boats with intimidating names. He won lots of races. Always said Black Widow was the best of the bunch. My wife never liked the name much. Wonder why..? . Some of his other Gazelles were called 'Intimidator', 'The Wasp', 'The Black Adder'...get the picture..?
No "funnel web"?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 02:41 PM   #42

City: Redlands
Great book: The Billionaire and the Mechanic: How Larry Ellison and a Car Mechanic Teamed up to Win Sailing’s Greatest Race, the Americas Cup, Twice
Old 06-16-2017, 11:05 AM   #43
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Rematch! Starts tomorrow!
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:00 PM   #44

City: Houston
As a One-Design sailboat racer for many years, it's pretty hard to understand how the US AC Committee got away with the rules of this 2017 final series. Where else in sports does one of the teams start out in a finals series in a "one down" position (NZ)?

So just an FYI, before the series even starts, the current score is:
Oracle USA 0
New Zealand -1

First team to win 7 wins the Cup. (Meaning, NZ has to win 8)

Of course, this is in line with the way we played for the first 100 years of this race.
CDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 05:15 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDreamer View Post
Of course, this is in line with the way we played for the first 100 years of this race.
Some Brit press guy wagged about a lost protest by the British in a 1934 Cup race of Endeavour vs Rainbow (the British interpretation of the rule in question differed from the American one) that "Britannia rules the waves but America waives the rules".
Old 06-16-2017, 06:01 PM   #46
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
In the last AC, Oracle/USA started the finals with quite the penalty for some misdeeds during the AC45 races. Still wasn't enough for the Kiwis to win...maybe this year? I'll sure be watching!

May the best team win!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:24 PM   #47
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggitoni View Post
No "funnel web"?
Ah, no, that was in NZ, not Aussie. NZ only has one potentially venomous creature, the Katipo (I never saw one) = roughly same as Redback here in Aus, and the Black Widow in NA, I think.

Eagerly awaiting the finals of the CUP, also. I am not holding my breath that Oracle won't keep it. That Jimmy Spithill is one slippery and cunning customer. He's an Aussie, and so was Outeridge, the Swedish boat's skipper. But although my deep heart will be with the Kiwis, it is a pity Aus does not actually put up a boat of our own, so they have to just drive other countries boats. However, that appears to be the way professional sport has gone. Look how many top UK Soccer teams are managed (coached) by Europeans.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:28 PM   #48
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDreamer View Post
As a One-Design sailboat racer for many years, it's pretty hard to understand how the US AC Committee got away with the rules of this 2017 final series. Where else in sports does one of the teams start out in a finals series in a "one down" position (NZ)?

So just an FYI, before the series even starts, the current score is:
Oracle USA 0
New Zealand -1

First team to win 7 wins the Cup. (Meaning, NZ has to win 8)

Even as a Kiwi supporter I have to say, that is not as bad as the last defence, when because of some design rule infringement, Oracle started the final series 7 races down out of a best of 9, or was it 13..? Anyway, NZ in the end had to only win one more to take the cup, yet Oracle Team US managed to come back and win. Ooooh...don't remind me..! In at least two races where Emirates Team NZ were well ahead, they were called off because in one, the winds went too high, and in another they were fifty yards from the finish line, well ahead but in light winds, and the time limit ran out.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:47 PM   #49

It's the first team to win 9 races. Last time -in San Francisco - Oracle started the finals with a 2-race penalty, assessed because USA got busted for a rule infringement that occurred during the semis. This wasn't discovered early enough so the penalty had to be assessed in the finals.
But this year is different. NZ is starting down 1 not because they did anything wrong, but because Oracle got a 'point' for winning in the semis. The problem is that as the Cup defender, Oracle was already guaranteed to be in the finals anyway. If Team USA wins by one race, it will seem a little...hollow, to me.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:57 PM   #50
TF Site Team

Thanks, yes, my memory was a bit faulty there - here from Wikipedia...

"The 34th America's Cup was held between challenger Team New Zealand and defender Oracle Team USA on a five-leg course on San Francisco Bay. One point was awarded for winning a race, and a total of nine points were needed to win the cup. Due to the two race penalty assessed on Oracle Team USA, they needed 11 wins to defend the cup."

Personally, I have no issue with Oracle taking their hard won 1 point into the final. The are at a disadvantage in terms of the preparation for the defence, in any case by limited real opposition. I think that 1 point fairly won feels about right. Only fair for someone to have to beat them by a decent margin, ie more than one point to take the cup. A parallel would be tennis, where to win a set you have to have a two point margin..?
Can't wait though. Let the sail-offs begin..!
Old 06-17-2017, 12:26 AM   #51

Another tennis example would be if, say, Federer and Murray got to the final match, and Roger was up in the first set 1-0, before the match started. (Since he won a few sets back in the semi-final.)

I am really looking forward to watching this series though. Let's hope the wind is good. And I'll be pulling for Oracle although it's difficult...Larry Ellison is a complete
*#*@+!.
Although people probably thought the same thing about the Vanderbilts.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:33 AM   #52
TF Site Team

Yup! Bring it on! I'm warming up my TV now and setting up for the race. It's a little early here for and IPAs, though. Looking forward to a great race, but kinda feel sorry for the NZ fans already. They're loyal to the end, always classy and deserve a win.

Old 06-17-2017, 02:03 PM   #53
TF Site Team

Kudos to Team NZ! Two good races.

Old 06-17-2017, 03:14 PM   #54
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Kudos to Team NZ! Two good races.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:51 PM   #55

City: Charleston
Vessel Name: THIRD CHILD
Vessel Model: KADEY KROGEN 48AE
Lifted out, presumably going to change the foils after a major A** whooping todayClick image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0540.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	65872
Stickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 05:04 PM   #56

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0524.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	65876Larry brought his "trawler" to watch...
Old 06-17-2017, 05:34 PM   #57

The observer yachts remind me that I was in Puerto Aventuras, Mexico to do some sail fishing a few years ago, which is a pretty good harbor for the "Mayan Coast". A very large yacht - meaning half the size of Ellison's - pulled in and the crew spent about an hour getting it all wiped down. I moseyed over...it was "Straight Jacket"...one of George Strait's toys. I said, "Is he coming to fish?" The crew said, "We never know...we just go where we are told." I never saw George there but a bunch of other people showed up the next day. When they were packing up I asked a crew member where they were headed. "St. Bart's." Incidentally, the big boat was TOWING a 36' center console named "Sport Jacket". He also has a beautiful Merritt down in Rockport TX called "Day Money"...a rodeo term.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:28 PM   #58
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Wow! They were smoked. Yeah, they better change something before tomorrow's races.
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 12:22 AM   #59
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Yup! Bring it on! I'm warming up my TV now and setting up for the race. It's a little early here for and IPAs, though. Looking forward to a great race, but kinda feel sorry for the NZ fans already. They're loyal to the end, always classy and deserve a win.

That may indeed prove prophetic, Al, but I don't think you need to feel sorry for them. It's a fair contest. Best boat and crew wins, whichever. I am certainly not holding my breath after last time...
Old 06-18-2017, 04:43 PM   #60

hey, they're up 4-0 on races, and the sticker on the helmsman seat says it all...

NO WANKERS
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0568.jpg