Almost there.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oscar

Guru
Vessel Name
Lady Kay V
Vessel Make
1978 Hatteras 53MY
After an almost decade hiatus we are a wire transfer and a few signatures away from boat ownership. Made a deal, and yesterday had a satisfactory survey and sea trial. We are very excited.

I know technically it's not a trawler, but I'll be spending most of our time on the water at 8 or 9 knots. Fuel burn at 19 (the speed reached during survey) does not make for polite dinner conversation.... So I'll stay on this forum a little longer. After all, anchors are anchors, oil is oil, and Cetol is... well....

Attachments

• IMG_7942.jpg
    IMG_7942.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 125
So what is it?

Never mind, saw your sig!

Congrats on your new boat, almost. Does it have 2 engine rooms?

Congrats on your new boat, almost. Does it have 2 engine rooms?

It does. The master, guest stateroom and two heads are in the aft, then there's a hallway forward between two engine rooms. Two doors each, so you can get in front or behind the engine, then outboard is roomy. They are tight against the interior walls, but there's panels you can remove from the hallway which gives you access to the inboard sides of the engine. IOW, for major work the access is all around, and STAND UP HEIGHT.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-05 at 11.23.18 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-10-05 at 11.23.18 AM.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 85
Nice boat, Oscar! Looking fwd to MANY more pics to prove it's yours.

You know the rules...No pics? It never happened.

We looked at a 58 LRC about 2 weeks ago. But there isn’t any place near us that can haul 90,000 pounds...

Classic Yacht!
Late 70's vintage has the best woodwork, IMHO.
Please send pics of master and back porch woodwork when able...

Classic Yacht!
Late 70's vintage has the best woodwork, IMHO.
Please send pics of master and back porch woodwork when able...

Gonna be a while, as the Admiral needs to decorate first. But here's the helm as it is currently.... (before Admiral intervention)

Attachments

• IMG_7804.jpg
    IMG_7804.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 101
Whoa, hold everything..STOP!!

Post 12, the helm as it is now (before Admiral Intervention). It is OK to do a little decorating, change the rugs, maybe replace some furniture or throw rugs. You certainly not considering changing the location of your helm or any major structural changes, are you? Because, simply put.."IT can't be done"

Otherwise, have fun and send more pics.

pete

Whoa, hold everything..STOP!!

Post 12, the helm as it is now (before Admiral Intervention). It is OK to do a little decorating, change the rugs, maybe replace some furniture or throw rugs. You certainly not considering changing the location of your helm or any major structural changes, are you? Because, simply put.."IT can't be done"

Otherwise, have fun and send more pics.

pete

O heck no..:eek:... carpet, curtains, maybe a nice helm chair. Not messing with a clean unmolested boat. I would have bought something else if this is not what I wanted.

If memory is correct, Hatteras used 3M 5200 to permanently install port holes and some other items. Thinking was it's so permanent that leaks won't show up due to degraded caulking. I believe that the gelcoat is also painted with Awlgrip epoxy paint. I think the skeleton type key for the exterior doors fits all Hatteras of that era. It's also likely that there are multiple voltages on board, both ac and dc, always check with a meter before doing any repairs or replacement. I'd also join a Hatteras forum as well. Great possibilities with classic style and luxury.

They used 12, 24, 32 volt DC and 120 and 240 A/C. Voltmeter is definitely a necessity.

It's also likely that there are multiple voltages on board, both ac and dc, always check with a meter before doing any repairs or replacement. I'd also join a Hatteras forum as well. Great possibilities with classic style and luxury.

12V, 24V, 32V, 120V, 240V.... all present and identified. I have multiple volt meters, and know how to use them.

Been on HOF for 5 years now.....

Originally the boats were 32V and 120/240V. But then the electronic revolution happened which is 12/24 And, the bow thruster is 24. In and of itself it's not a huge deal, just a bunch of banks and chargers. Maybe some day I'll make the whole boat 24 and put $20,000 in LiFe batteries in it.

Love that old pilot house motor yacht design. Wish they would bring it back. I’ll be leaving shortly on a Pacemaker 48 Yachtfisher for a few weeks. Very similar design. Good luck.

Love that old pilot house motor yacht design. Wish they would bring it back. I’ll be leaving shortly on a Pacemaker 48 Yachtfisher for a few weeks. Very similar design. Good luck.

We've always been sailors. I distinctly remember one blustery cold day on the Bay when I got overtaken by a 50-60 foot something. Could have been a Hatt, or a Connie. Something like that. The skipper gave me a polite wave from behind the glass. He was in a T-shirt. I was in foulies. I said to myself: Maybe that's not such a bad idea.

Oscar, was just thinking, since you intend to cruise predominantly in the 7-8 knot speed range, and I assume long distance cruising, then you'll be making plenty of night passages.

You might consider building a plywood bulkhead with a door that aligns with the stairs down, right behind the helm and separating it from the saloon.

Attachments

• IMG_7804.jpg
    IMG_7804.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 165
Instead of a permanent plywood bulkhead maybe a set of curtains that could be drawn across to keep the light out of the pilothouse. We did that in our motorhome to keep the front seats separated from the galley and dinette.

Instead of a permanent plywood bulkhead maybe a set of curtains that could be drawn across to keep the light out of the pilothouse. We did that in our motorhome to keep the front seats separated from the galley and dinette.

I have the exact same thing in our coach. Also makes the dash A/C and heat more effective and controllable.

May do that on Hatt. Although I will probably be up top at night with a dark boat. Like to see as much as I can.

Congrats
She is a good looking vessel/
Are you in TN with the covered slip?

Almost there

Gonna be a while, as the Admiral needs to decorate first. But here's the helm as it is currently.... (before Admiral intervention)

Gorgeous boat. Congratulations!

Back
Top Bottom