Allweather Trailerable Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Studebaker, Bruce? LMAO! You lost half the audience. Great comment and true.

Al,
Notice the similarity to the Sea Piper.
And we analyzed that one to death.
Interesting

The Allweather, while it is a nice looking boat, is a bit too spartan for me.
The Sandpiper .... I would enjoy a walk through a "well appointed boat" with the understanding that I already own a boat. SMILE

Re stability

here is a link that may be of interest

https://www.maritimenz.govt.nz/comm...ments/fishing-vessel-stability-guidelines.pdf

I reckon pick the boat that lets you smile the most :)
I've never owned a double ender, I've worked on [electricals] on both a double ender and standard layout both commercial coastal fishing ~ 4 days at sea single crew where seas can get big quickly, and fishing grounds a days steaming from port, both were in adjoining berth slots and both skippers would run with the sea when it got big & preferred their own, the skipper of the conventional layout said the double ender was superior at bar crossing and following seas, but harder to sleep in big or confused seas.

Last edited:
There is a Polish company called Haber that builds a 26' displacement cruiser called the Haber 800. It's available as a pilothouse sailboat as well. ABout 8'6" so we could trailer it on our roads. They have one dealer in the US in NC I think. They are not importing this model yet, but I assume they will if they are serious about the US market.

Anyway, it looks interesting. Check it out.

https://youtu.be/od1wy6iHvlg

Space Cadet,
Very good looking craft!

Don New Zealand,
Good graphics indeed.
The main focus has been thus far only on roll stability. But there's lots of elements of stability presented in your link that few of us think about. Excellent input.
And yes my Willard doesn't care for confused seas. But what boat does?

Neat boat! Looks very spacious and functional! I chose my Vashon because I very much wanted the economy and seaworthiness of a full displacement boat--small FD trawlers are not easy to find! Vashons are trailerable and I am not a trailering expert but the ramps don't seem steep enough in my area to accommodate a 3' 3" keel.

I own an Allweather.

My wife and I cruise in it each summer (with a small dog). We've been down Hood Canal and up to Princess Louisa (limited by my vacation time). Pretty pokey and it'll roll, but we've never been frightened. Mostly we hop between our favorite islands, towing a dinghy, like most people do in the northwest.

Compared to a larger boat, the cabin puts you inside the hull, versus perched on top the hull. We sleep about 12" above the waterline.
We use a composting toilet to avoid a holding tank.
Cheap propane oven/stove. No heat, no hot water.
Water tank is proportioned too small compared to the fuel tank, at least for the northwest.
The stern is not so fine as folks suggested. Certainly a double ender, but the bow is a lot pointier (much fuller than, say, the pictures of Nimiane).

A previous owner did a lot of fishing, and the looks haven't been well maintained.
I've done some small work on the engine and rewired the electrical. All easy enough.
We don't keep it on a trailer, so I can't comment there.

It's slow enough that you need to pay real attention to the tide, which makes planning more interesting (in a good way). All in all, it's rather like cruising in a sailboat, running under the auxilary (like many people do in the northwest, since there's often too little wind to sail).

Plenty of room and plenty of speed for our sort of cruising.
I still like it.

Preston

Last edited:
Where do you keep you’re boat Preston?

Preston I had an Albin 25 before the Willard and I’ve seen numerous Allweathers. There’s a TF member that lives in Gustavus Alaska w an Allweather. That’s at the entrance to Glacier Bay. Shoud be easy to find his posts.
What power is in your boat?

Thanks for the pointer; I'll check him out.
Our boat as a 24hp Bukh, a 2-cylinder diesel.
Seems a fine, reliable engine, though parts are getting tougher
to find in the US.

Preston

Hi

I’m English and was looking around d for the sort of boat I want to potter around the Irish Sea on the West Coast of England which is why I ended up at this forum and thread.

The English lifeboats I think are being referred to are Watson class and predecessors which were phased out in the 1980s and launched in a variety of ways (slipway, beach launch etc) depending upon local conditions.

Up to their retirement I think the design was chosen as a displacement boat that was very manoeuvrable as most rescues needed to take place close to shore. The Watsons and predecessors were self righting and very buoyant to cope with the very fierce and variable sea conditions round the British coast. They had and indeed all Royal National Lifeboat Institution crew are drawn as volunteers ( with one or two exceptions) from the local coastal communities and are hugely experienced in handling boats in their local conditions.

Famously and tragically a Watson boat from Penlee Point in Cornwall tried to effect one of the most daring rescues of a crew of a stricken freighter with seawater in its lines blown on to the rocks in a storm. The Solomon Browne picked her way through 80ft breakers and rocks in the surf during a hurricane and would have made it out but for one last desperate attempt to rescue the freighter skippers children on board for Christmas. The Solomon Browne was never overwhelmed but the freighter rolled on her in the rocks.

With advances in reliable high power marine diesels, hull design and the changing needs of rescue the RNLI now uses semi displacement hulls and to see a Shannon class boat launch into tremendous seas is an awesome thing. They punch right through the waves and it’s amazing to see them appear in the trough in the other side.

They are predominantly rescuing trawler and yacht crews and pleasure craft and caught out so volume for the rescued isn’t really a thing. The RNLI makes them as big as they need to be.

On this Island surrounded by sea we are tremendously proud of the RNLI and their crews and they sit deep in our National heart which is why I offer this now.

Last edited:
20211003_090322.jpg This is how I trailer my boat, same size as an Allweather.

Back
Top Bottom