Accessing Vessel Info Quickly/Conveniently

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmreim

Vessel Name
Boundless
Vessel Make
2013 North Pacific 43'
Haven't really thought this out thoroughly but is anyone aware of an off-the-shelf simple system to manage boat info? Not really talking about a monitoring system (e.g. Siren) but looking for an easy way to access (online or on my iPad) the make, model S/N and e-manual of all systems onboard (pumps, toilet, water heater, a/c, alternator, batteries, charger, inverter, auto pilot, MFD, hydraulic steering mechanism, windless, thruster, fridge, etc.)? When something needs service/parts, I find my enormous binders incredibly slow, cumbersone and inconvenient (loose/missing pages, water stains on critical diagrams, hard to read in low light, etc.). Guess a DIY e-system would be fine but wondering if anything a bit more polished exists out there.
I looked at a Greenline not long ago and they have QR codes placed around the vessel that provide info about different systems - very clever and convenient.
Thx in advance for your suggestions.
Jim

I don't want to offend anybody, I really don't. I have been told that I am slightly "anal" or Obsessive Compulsive upon occasion.

But, regarding the original post...I enjoy my boat, I use it a lot. When something breaks I generally fix it. I have most of the original manuals but usually they are at home, not on the boat. Probably 80% of things that break can either be fixed with hardware store parts or will be replaced. I did pull out the manual on my bow thruster when I sheared a pin, it was handy. I also referred to a manual when I did some toilet work.

Would it have been worth it to have everything on a computer ? Maybe but NOT if i had to be the one to do all the keystrokes, research, photo work, organizing, updating, etc.

Would I ever want to spend an hour getting all the information on one of my bilge pumps into the computer, then multiply it by the three or four bilge pumps on board? Never, not going to happen.

If I had every schematic, mechanical drawing, etc on say, my 30 year old refrigerator would I attempt to fix it if it wasn't working? Nope, I'm not a refrigeration guy. I don't know freon from a Peon. Pull it out, do some measurements and buy a new one. Bright and shinny, clean and new! (and good for another 30 years).

I was once on a fellow boaters boat. He honestly had about 6 temperature gauges for each engines exhaust. Here was a fellow who enjoyed talking about and admiring his boat more than he enjoyed using it.

If that's the way you enjoy boating, more power to you. Not for me though.

pete

I just keep all the manuals in a file called Documentation on the computer. For things with a lot of manuals (like the engine or nav electronics) there is a subfolder. Rename the pdf files something descriptive as many times the titles are opaque. There's only maybe 30 or 50 of them, very easy to find the one you need without the nonsense of some indexing system. It is MUCH easier than all the binders. Not hard to find the manuals on the web.

Now, where you have stored the spares, that might benefit from some sort of indexing, but it requires too much discipline for me - every time something is used or moved, make an entry. Can't be bothered. Instead I'll spend hours looking for some part.

I keep pdf files of all system manuals, boat registration, and documentation in a OneDrive cloud account shared and synced to all my devices (MacBook, onboard PC, iPad, iPhone) so they are readily available. And they are downloaded to the onboard PC and iPad so they are available whenever I don’t have internet.

no offense taken, Pete. I said I hadn't thought it through entirely and asked for suggestions - that's what you gave me - thx.

Yes - started a similar process using iCloudDrive. Thx.

Jim
I find my laptop very handy for storing & organizing all kinds of boat & motorhome info.
Many manuals I've located are PDFs and a simple file structure helps. Others such as filter #s and source info I use an Excell spreadsheet many times I'll include URL links , phone #s, etc for valuable sources etc.

I also have several PDF files in my laptop and an excel file with some maintenance info.
But most of the manuals are in a file folder. Some on the boat, some at home.

We just use a combination of Excel spreadsheet as our maintenance log and a softcopy library of system manuals, latter divided into folders for each manufacturer (or I could have used system types, etc.). Softcopy manuals don't take up any physical space, they can live on all of our ship's laptops/tablets/phones... and most will submit to keyword searches.

-Chris

Microsoft's One Note is pretty good at organizing all sorts of info in all sorts of formats. As I make various upgrades to my boat, I use it to save relevant pictures, snippits from or links to manuals, my notes, cross references to other OneNotes I have taken, etc. Unfortunately, I have only scratched the surface of its capabilities, but haven't found a good way to get up to speed on it. (Recognizing the value to our business, I have asked our IT person to find a consultant/trainer, but so far no success on that front.)

I use a simple Excel spreadsheet to keep track of the exact model and serial numbers of equipment that needs or will likely need maintenance or periodic replacement (a list that grows over time). Includes the part numbers, source, and cost for each spare or consumable I have had to deal with or expect to. Still have to do the initial research, but this makes it much easier once that has been done.

I find that most anything you have on board including engines have an online downloadable pdf .
Still looking for a log book template

There are subscription services available if you choose.

But I Manage ours using three tools.

First, like others, I have a folder on my laptop with all the PDF manuals for everything on the boat. I have been building it up as we have been specifying and building the boat. If I find something missing, I go find and down load it.

Next is a big word document with all the pertinent info about the boat and it’s systems. It includes basic hull info, plus make and model of all significant components. Again, if I come across something that’s missing, I add it. It also includes info about basic service parts and intervals.

Oops, hit sent too soon

Third is a spreadsheet of all the spares, part numbers, good sources, etc. It includes a count of how many I have on board, and where they are stashed. I don’t have all spares on the boat, so some show a zero inventory. But I have the info if I need to get something.

Like the other lists, you can build it up over time.

Back
Top Bottom