Old 06-29-2020, 01:56 PM   #41
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
I will link you to a 6 episode seminar on marine electrical. Yes it is long but trust me you'll be ahead of the game when you start your electrical projects on your boat, AND its free:

Jeff Cote - Pacific Yacht Systems

rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 06:12 PM   #42

City: Port Orchard,WA
Vessel Name: Ceora
Vessel Model: Bluewater PH Trawler
Blue Seas circuit wizard

Blue Seas offers a free app called Circuit Wizard that a useful quick reference for conductor sizing and circuit protection with calculator tools. ABYC standards are not a legal document like the NEC but are a good guide for best practices. Their web site offers some free "how to" videos, also available on YouTube. Some here: https://www.youtube.com/user/ABYCAnnapolis
kabyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:23 PM   #43
Guru

City: Deltaville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portage_Bay View Post
In addition to Calder's book take a look at "Boat Owner's Illustrated Electrical Handbook" by Charlie Wing.

Regarding ABYC being "suggestions". It is correct ABYC standards are not law. However many surveyors inspect to current ABYC standards, insurance companies then expect you to correct the surveyor's findings to ABYC standards. In my opinion it's easier to follow ABYC standards as I go along than "correct defeciencis" after the survey.
Fully concur with the Wing book suggestion, the best guide available for DIYers diving into electrical systems, very easy to understand. Make sure you get the second edition.

ABYC Standards are voluntary, however, they do echo the CFR for gasoline and electrical systems, so for a gas-powered boat they, those chapters that deal with fuel and electrical at least, are the law.

You can get a boat owners' membership to ABYC, which includes the Standards, pretty inexpensively at https://abycinc.org/mpage/recreationalboaters
Old 06-30-2020, 05:26 AM   #44
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
I will link you to a 6 episode seminar on marine electrical. Yes it is long but trust me you'll be ahead of the game when you start your electrical projects on your boat, AND its free:

Jeff Cote - Pacific Yacht Systems

Excellent video!
Old 06-30-2020, 12:47 PM   #45
Guru

City: Walkabout Creek
I think the ABYC standards are all well intentioned, and all quite good.

The only real issue is with older pre-standard boats and surveyors and insurers who indiscriminately was to see compliance. But frankly, many of those discrepancies really should be fixed, as some are quite horrific. Plenty have surfaced here on TF. I wouldn’t want some of the issues on my boat, wouldn’t want to be docked next to such a boat, and certainly wouldn’t want to insure it. Some issues are from original builds when the norms were different, but most I think are the result of retrofits over the years.

The issue seems to be when ABYC is blindly applied to older boats rather being more discriminating and focusing on the things that for everyone’s benefit should be updated
Old 07-02-2020, 02:45 PM   #46

City: Grenadines
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takoradi View Post
I am about to take possession of my Uniflite 42. After inventory (and if I'm lucky), I expect I'll have a bit of remedial wiring to do. (If I'm not so lucky, I'll have a LOT of remedial wiring to do.)

I'd like to have a copy of the ABYC electrical codes to help with the work and I can't find a single collection of "electrical standards" that covers the entire vessel. They sell them piecemeal at $50 a pop which would be about $500.

A-16 Electric Navigation Lights $50
A-27 Alternating Current (AC) Generator Sets $50
A-28 Galvanic Isolators $50

etc...

https://abycinc.org/page/StandardsSupp58

Is there a place to get a full copy of the electrical standards? It seems they'd be readily & easily available so maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

Tak
Ps. Also I can't figure out why my profile picture doesn't show up in my posts. I have the right size png file uploaded and have the "show profile picture" checked.
Didn't you get all this information from your surveyor?
Old 07-02-2020, 10:09 PM   #47
Veteran Member

City: Northern California
Vessel Name: The Janie C
Vessel Model: Uniflite 42
included in survey?

No. My survey referenced the standards but did not include them.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:10 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Thanks Jeff!
Old 07-02-2020, 10:15 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Circuit Wizard looks like a nice ap. Thanks Kabyak!

Tak
Old 07-03-2020, 08:37 AM   #50
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
Some issues are from original builds when the norms were different, but most I think are the result of retrofits over the years.
That hits the nail on the head. Here on TF we are primarily talking about boats that are decades old. As a result they usually have many prior owner modifications and therein lie the issues. While we were shopping for a cruising boat, I saw all kinds of atrocities that had been comitted.

When we bought our boat, 26 years old at the time, which had been beautifully maintained and improved by a succession of prior owners, all of the survey call outs were about non-OEM, owner-created or at least owner bought issues, especially electrical ones. Things like the occasional use of wire nuts, romex, things like that. Then I came in to make the boat more compatible with our anchoring-centric cruising style and added all kinds of stuff. We tried to do it right, and apparently did, as none of our projects got called out by the very thorough, experienced and picky surveyor when we sold the boat.

The ABYC "codes" have fairly simple goals: among them being to do what you can to keep the boat afloat, prevent fires and avoid electrocuting someone.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 11:50 AM   #51
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
The ABYC "codes" have fairly simple goals: among them being to do what you can to keep the boat afloat, prevent fires and avoid electrocuting someone.

I would agree ABYC are codes that are recommendations or suggestions.

My big issue is the way these "codes" are used by surveyors and insurance companies.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abyc, codes, electrical, standards