Abnormal Diesel oil analysis.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's the thing about this single sample; you have no clue about the history of any previous samples or if any were actually taken. When I sold my two Lehman 120s a few years back, the new owner got 29 years worth of 100-hour samples. Within those samples there was an episode of relatively high sodium but no potassium, high iron, aluminum and copper. Problem was pointed out as possible coolant contamination by the analysis company and was resolved after replacement of the gaskets on the ends of the exhaust manifold. Samples for many years thereafter showed normal levels. In this case, you do not know how long this went on, but my buyer did know it was of short duration. So my guess is coolant contamination, but which of the many sources (including the worst case of head gasket leak) is it? So how much of a gambler are you? Personally, there would have to be a mighty big discount from asking price for me to go forward unless a verifiable series of oil samples convinced me otherwise.

Type of trawler

I’m curious about the boat itself. Brand? Name? Length? I’ve owned a trawler with these engines and they are reliable, workhorse engines and as someone already posted, post rebuild they can go 10k hrs. Thanks!!

Mind posting that ad to the boat? Personally, I think you made the right choice for you! At a minimum you were looking at complete oil changes, resample, with high probability that heat exchangers needed replacing (plural, because if one has failed, the other is probably not far behind), maybe head gaskets, and very real possibility that you were looking at a rebuild during your ownership. I would DEFINITELY have asked for a concession on price, if everything else was good. Somewhere in the neighborhood of $10k to 20k. If we're talking about a $150k boat here, that isn't at all unreasonable to ask for in my book. If we are talking about a $40k boat, probably not going to happen. Please post a link to the ad, inquiring minds want to know!:D

Engine oil analysis can be misleadingly. Easy enough to change oil before inspection.

Copper could be bearing problem but also corrosion of the oil cooler.
(oil run for 100 hours but it depend how long time it stay in the boat. If it's in the engine from 2 or 3 year copper is normal)
Sodium is or salt water ingestion (is there an intercooler on the turbo ????) major salt water ingestion are coming from the intercooler. The best way is to ask informations from the oil analysis chemist enginer.

Ski, what Na to K ratio would indicate saltwater intrusion?

I got this from Ski several years ago when he frequented Boatdiesel

Attachments

• Salt or coolant testing.doc
    23.5 KB · Views: 39
Back
Top Bottom