1987 Jefferson 42 Fuel Burn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

m20e

Vessel Name
Dreamboat Annie
Vessel Make
SeaRay 390 MY
Looking at 2 1987 Jefferson 42 ft trawlers. One has twin turbo Perkins 240 HP and the other has twin Cat 3208 non-turbo 260 HP. Any info on the fuel burn would be very helpful. Thanks

Looking at 2 1987 Jefferson 42 ft trawlers. One has twin turbo Perkins 240 HP and the other has twin Cat 3208 non-turbo 260 HP. Any info on the fuel burn would be very helpful. Thanks

At the same speeds the fuel draw will be very similar - suggest you look at the current condition and ability to get parts and service for either engine in your desired use area.

The Cat 3208 na is usually listed at 210 hp. I have a GB 42 with twin Cat 3208 na. Similar to the Jefferson. At 1,300 to 1,550 rpm I burn a total of about six to seven gallons per hour. The sky’s the limit at higher revs….

Last edited:
As Smitty notes above, the fuel consumption will be similar for the two different engines while running at the same speed.

So buy the boat that is in better condition relative to price and don’t worry about the fuel burn.

David

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom