La Conner this weekend...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dhays

Guru
Vessel Name
Kinship
Vessel Make
North Pacific 43
Hi All,

Turns out I have 4 days this weekend and am thinking about heading to La Conner. I have only been through the Swinomish Channel once in recent times and have not stayed at La Conner before. So some last minute questions for you locals...

I may head up on Friday or Saturday (tomorrow or the 17th). Weather will be truly bad on Saturday with strong West winds in the Strait Saturday afternoon, about the time I would be trying for the afternoon slack in the channel. How challenging will getting into the marina be with a strong west wind and how much protection is there in La Conner marina in a west wind?

Given the 5 hour spread between low and high tides both Friday and Saturday afternoon, and the moderate 4'-4.5' tide change, am I right to assume that slack will be 2 to 2.5 hours after the low tide?

Other than staying in the channel at the South entrance, any local knowledge advice?

Dave, the tide currents are not particularly predictable in the Channel but it wont be what the book says for timing, but rather a couple of hours off. Assume you are coming up thru Saratoga Passage and not Deception? The Channel is more protected from westerly than anything else but still can blow anyway. As far as the marina goes, its on the east side of the channel and the transit dock is open, so what westerly there is will effect your stay, but westerly is the least common prevailing wind here, mostly s and se, though during the recent clear and cold weather we had a lot of northerly, but that's not common. Beware of shoaling on the west side, on the southern end of Shelter Bay on your port hand coming north when thru the Hole in the Wall, you can see the water looks funny over it there. I actually grazed it last summer during a low tide on my way out. But the tide was very low, just beware its there and stay more to the east side in that part, more towards center once beyond that. Have fun, the channel is not near as imposing as it looks on the charts, just mostly stay in the middle for most of it.

Dave,
Watch the current coming around the north ends of the transient floats ... crab appropriately.
If you want the westerly (if it happens) blowing away from the float chose the inbd. side of the transient float. If you want wind pushing you toward the float chose the outside of the float. You’ll have boat wakes then but your boat should handle that well.
Gounding in the channel is very unlikely. After considering traffic south of LaConner stay to the east side of the NS channel. In the EW part favor the north side. The bouys are well placed.

Last edited:
Guessing you’ll have the transient pier mostly to yourself in Feb. No problem mooring on the inside, even in heavy current, if you have the pier to yourself. Looks like plenty of water in the channel either afternoon.

In a boat drawing 6.5 ft I've had trouble with shoaling west of Goat Island. The Corps of Engineers dredged the area in late 2014 but mother nature has had several winters to pile the sand back in. The best water is not always in the middle of the channel. Best to enter on a rising tide, fortunately for you low lows are in the middle of the night this time of year.

Local Notices to Mariners says the entrance buoy #1 is off station. And they will be mucking about with the range lights. You can't beat that range for telling you when you are exactly centerline of the channel.

https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=lnmDistrict®ion=13

When the wind really howls out of the west you'll feel it as you make the turn from Skagit Bay into the Swinomish Channel entrance. It'll blow right up your stern, so depending on how your boat handles that....

Attachments

• Swinomish shoaling.jpg
    Swinomish shoaling.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 133
But, but, but...it's not boating season! ;)

Great advice guys, thanks. I draw 4.5’ and the tide won’t be too low.

Any recommendations on walkable restaurants that my wife might like while we are there?

If Sunday limited. There is a good barbQ in town, but not sure if open, called Whiteys. Great Mexican, but believe both closed Sunday. But there is always LaConner Pub. I would call ahead to see if much is open on Sunday.

Yes, great pizza :thumb:

We also enjoyed Seeds Bistro and Bar.

Have a great trip; we are going to shoot for Stuart Island...

I'm making a list of suggestions. The brewery sounds great, hard to beat pizza and beer. I've eaten breakfast at the Calico Cupboard Cafe and wouldn't mind doing that again. It was good.

PA to Stuart could be a bit rough this weekend depending on your timing. Unless you don't keep Irene in PA?

+ 1 on Seeds, great food.

Harbor master tells me he's blowing down the waterlines, so plan for no water at the dock.

We love La Conner! Agree La Conner brewery is good; they have their own wheat beer that is exceptional.
One other place: the Oyster and Thistle restaurant and pub is 1 block uphill on Washington St. it is sort of like a traditional english pub, but excellent food.
Finally if you just want inexpensive but pretty good fish & chips; the La Conner Pub & eatery (close to the Calico) is good and if you get there early enough you can get a table at the window and watch the channel traffic cruising by.
+1 on Calico cupboard for breakfast:thumb:

(Our avatar photo is from a day we were visiting La Conner in 2017, tied up on inside of G dock)

Last edited:
Based on the WX at my house, going to be a fun ride up there for you!

+ 1 on Seeds, great food.

Harbor master tells me he's blowing down the waterlines, so plan for no water at the dock.

Thanks for the heads up. I think I’ll be in Kingston tonight (if there is room) and I may take on water there. I have about 50 gallons on board now but....

Based on the WX at my house, going to be a fun ride up there for you!

I’m just on the other side of Blake Island from you now Bob. While the South wind has lots of fetch, the current in Colvos tends to run North regardless of the tide. So the water hasn’t been too rough. Now that the current is going against the wind, it is getting a bit rougher.

Excellent complete rainbow arching over the Sound to my North. Lovely.

Dave the forecast is getting worse now not better, calling for northerly now stiff tonight and tomorrow with snow also a possibility. Doesn't really sound like much fun.

Dave the forecast is getting worse now not better, calling for northerly now stiff tonight and tomorrow with snow also a possibility. Doesn't really sound like much fun.

Thanks. I already found out, the stupid way.

The “plan” was to leave Kingston around 9:00am to head to La Conner. Forecast winds were moderate out of the South and station reports fell in line with those, except for one that has reported 27 kts around 7:00.

I knew that once we crossed to the East from Kingston to the East side of Whidbey Island we would have relatively protected water. The choice was go to La Conner, or stay in Kingston. I like Kingston, but didn’t want to spend another night. Bad choice.

The seas weren’t too bad as we were leaving Appletree Cove. There were pretty good wind waves coming from the SSE and the windy increased to maybe a steady 20 knots. Then just about the time we got to just about the shipping traffics lane it got bad in a hurry. I had to head SW instead of W to be able to take the seas on the quarter and the further out into the Traffic lanes I got the more the waves were coming from the South and as they grew in size I had to start to take them more on the bow than the quarter.

So far, these were the worst seas I have been in. At about the mid-point of the traffic separation zone I had enough and turned to make my way back West. The wind had continued to increase a bit and the waves continued to grow. Every couple minutes there would be a set of 3 rather large, or huge, although at the time I would have described them as “monstrous” breaking waves. I was taking green water over the bow in the middle of these sets. Not particularly fun.

I had the same trouble getting back West as I had getting East. The sea conditions were forcing me more South than I wanted. I was hoping to get in the shelter of Bainbridge and possible cut through Agate Pass and slip around to Poulsbo. However I couldn’t even make it into Port Madison.

I kept considering trying to turn and head downwind back to Kingston. At this point I really missed Kingston. Great place to spend a few days. I was simply a bit too nervous about making the turn and getting hit hard broadside. Even though I wasn’t enjoying getting slammed by the waves, they were so steep and short that I didn’t relish the idea of a broach going with them either.

As we got closer to Bainbridge the seas went from truly, horrendousl, terrible to simply bad. The size of the waves decreased a bit and more importantly, those sets of 3 giant waves started to come much less frequently and weren’t nearly as bad. My thought was to head into Winslow for the night. Winslow is a nice stop and would be really sheltered. When I tried calling to see about a transient slip, I couldn’t get anyone on the phone.

At this point, my wife thought that she would rather go to Blake Island. I made yet another mistake by agreeing to that. Winslow would have been better.

The wind had picked up more and had swung out of the WSW. About the time we passed Blakey Rock we got hit really hard again. The waves weren’t as big as before as they didn’t have the fetch but the motion was really odd. The mix of the established waves coming from the South and the WSW wind shift had them doing strange things. The boat wasn’t porpoising like it had but would do the oddest shimmy. The gusts from the side would also push us over 5-10 degrees. I ended up transferring some fuel from the Port to Starboard tank to help with that. A 100 meters from the entrance to the breakwater at Blake Island we got in the lea of the island and things calmed down enough for me to get lines and fenders placed.

We are now enjoying some blue sky, a great view of Seattle, and out of much of the worst of the wind. It has died down a lot this afternoon and we are protected from the 10-15 knots of SW wind that there is currently.

My first mistake was leaving Kingston.
My second mistake was not turning around sooner once I saw it was going to be bad.
My third mistake was listening to my wife and not going into Winslow.

Not sure yet of the extent of damage to the boat. Almost lost my Burgee and flagstaff from the bow pulpit one time when we came down hard into a trough. The force of the water lifted the flagstaff out of the holder. I had tighter the screw to hold it in place, but not hard enough. I was lucky that it fell down into the side deck which is recessed before being carried overboard.

My anchor also got knocked up and off of the anchor rollers. I keep the anchor tight with a chain hook and line tied to a cleat. When the anchor was knock up, it somehow released the chain hook.

We got hit with some big waves on the quarter and side and took water into the engine intake vents. This space is also used to run wiring and I thing I make have gotten salt water into the back of a 120 outlet. That has caused a short somewhere so I have depowered that circuit until I can trace it down.

Everything that could have fallen, did. Some breakage but not too bad. The biggest thing is my wife is NOT happy. I can’t blame her.

Ouch Dave! Appreciate you sharing your decisions, the outcomes, where it's all headed. As I sit at my computer overlooking Blake Island, it isn't dark yet, I can see your location clearly. The wind coming from the SW is the best situation for you, you are in the lee, so perhaps your luck is turning around.

There is plenty of space to anchor in Eagle harbor, especially in the winter, so it is a bummer you weren't able to give that a go. But sometimes we don't know what a given place is going to be like.

It's going to be a cold night, I hope you have diesel heat and maybe some wine?

Google maps says it is 2.88 miles to the Blake marina, and I just sold my (effective) 800 mm lens this week! This is a cropped 300mm shot.

Hi Dave!

Attachments

• davesboat-2177678.jpg
    davesboat-2177678.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 119
Yikes! Looks like you learned lots of lessons. Hope the boat is fine. I’m sure it is.

My biggest bonehead rough water experience I did solo, thank goodness. My wife already doesn’t really like our boat so I can’t afford to make many mistakes with her aboard. [emoji51]

Dave, sorry to hear about the hammering or shellacking as my dad used to call it, and glad you made it to safe harbor OK. Mind the forecast, its supposed to come out of the north and possible snow just to make it interesting. Hope you stay safe. Here in LaConner its still gusty and raining and about 41F, so not very nice.

Puget, I expected bad weather in La Conner tomorrow, but I don’t mind walking around in the cold. Monday would have been good for heading South.

Bob, amazing shot you got! You look right into the basin. Thanks for sharing that. It is dark now and we have been very protected from the SW wind. Blake is one of our favorite places but during the warm months or good weather it is rare to find a spot at the dock. Now there are a few other boaters who were chased here by the weather.

Cardude, I did a thorough inspection of the boat and all is good. (Well, it is really dirty with the WA green as I haven’t been down to wash the boat in a while). A few ports weren’t dogged down well so we got a little water inside. I normally don’t tighten hard the ports that are inboard of the bulwarks at the bow. But get enough green water there and they need to be tightened. I found and fixed the electrical problem, just a loose connection on one of the outlets. Today, it would have been nice to have a sail to steady the boat. Of course it would have been even better to have stayed in Kingston eating those great donuts from the shop there and eating Pizza at Westside Pizza.

Btw, “Kinship” is to the left of the larger sailboat and behind that piling.

Wind - Advisory from 2/18/2018 12:00:00 AM to 2/18/2018 6:00:00 PM

Wind Advisory issued February 17 at 1:39PM PST until February 18 at 6:00PM PST by NWS SeattleWestern Skagit County; Western Whatcom County...WIND ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 6 PMPST SUNDAY...* WIND...Increasing from the north and northeast at 20 to 35 mphwith local gusts to 55 mph late tonight and Sunday.* SOME AFFECTED LOCATIONS...Lynden, Ferndale, Bellingham, LummiIsland, and Anacortes.* TIMING...Winds are anticipated to peak from late Sundaymorning through early Sunday afternoon.* IMPACTS...Winds this strong can topple small trees, snap treelimbs, and cause local power outages. The strong winds alongwith temperatures near or slightly above freezing will set thestage for wind chill temperatures in the teens and lower 20s.A Wind Advisory means that sustained winds of 30 to 39 mph and/orgusts of 45 to 57 mph are expected. Winds this strong can makedriving difficult, especially for high profile vehicles. Use extra caution.

If this comes in as noted here, you will want to go the other way my friend.

Thanks for that. Currently, our plan is to sit tight tomorrow here at Blake Island. Head home on Monday.

BTW, I had not yet purchased my WA State Marine pass for 2018. I was able to purchase it from the host at the dock. I get one every year. I normally spend some time at the marine parks so often it is a cost savings, but more than that I don’t mind supporting the marine parks. They do a pretty good job all in all.

Changed plans. After yesterday’s unpleasantness I decided to tak advantage of the very calm weather this morning and head home before the strong Northerlies hit us in the South Sound. Blake Island is great, but the moorage is exposed to the North and 20 kt winds are forecast. Tomorrow should be pleasant with 8-10 kt North winds, but I think my wife is appreciating the calm water this morning. Just need to make it to the Harbor before noon.

How'd the trip back work out. I was down at Day Island for quite a bit today and it a heck of a wind coming down from the north. At least you could stop short of the narrows.

How'd the trip back work out. I was down at Day Island for quite a bit today and it a heck of a wind coming down from the north. At least you could stop short of the narrows.

The North wind just started to come in as we were pulling into the slip. It was a bit odd to having the perfect approach to the slip and in the space of 20 yards find that were were suddenly being pushed to port by the wind. It was just a light breeze but by the time all the lines were on it was snowing and blowing 10 kts. It kept increasing all afternoon and we have lost power a couple times today at the house. Calmer now.

Nothing quite like February in “protected” Puget Sound to remind you just exactly who is in charge. I have quite a few other friends who learned the hard way, and am a card carrying member myself.

Back
Top Bottom