Anchoring in Victoria BC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rsn48

Guru
Vessel Name
Capricorn
Vessel Make
Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
So in Vancouver there are a number of places you can anchor and dinghy in to visit the city. The most famous of these areas is of course False Creek where you are allowed to stay for up to two weeks (free) with a permit. Another area just off the Maritime Museum in Kits Point.

But I have yet to find an area where you can anchor for free in Victoria or close surrounding areas (the actual city of Victoria is very small). Have any of you enterprising souls found suitable anchorage there?

There is free anchoring and dock access at the Gardens to the north. Not sure if that works for you.

That's right, you can grab a mooring, which we have done, in Butchart Cove and there is a dinghy dock with the "back" entrance to the Gardens, which are delightful. Not sure what present status is of the Gardens, or if seaplanes still use the dinghy dock as well.

You can also keep on going south around into Tod Inlet and there is a popular anchorage there, which we have also used, and you dinghy in, a path takes you to the front parking lot of the Gardens, and there is public transportation into the town proper. Victoria is a wonderful city destination.

Last edited:
Esquimalt, where?

CFB (Canadian Forces Base) Esquimalt has a power boat club I could join for peanuts, former Regular and Reserve member. But what's weird is I don't see any reference for Reciprocals (I could always join the CFB Comox club) but with the CFB Esquimalt Sailing Club they do have reciprocals. I am assuming all moorage is taken in the power club, only good for 30 feet and under boats.

The Gorge has weird rules unlike Vancouver you can moor for 48 hours, then one more 24 hour period, after you have left and come back (I think, strange wording in what I have read) in a 30 day period. Looks like access is at high tide.

Tod Inlet, there's a thought. I think Butchart Gardens moorage is only open for the summer, not sure on that.

Esquimalt would be a good location for anchoring if there is a location there.

Last edited:
Esquimalt, where?

CFB (Canadian Forces Base) Esquimalt has a power boat club I could join for peanuts, former Regular and Reserve member. But what's weird is I don't see any reference for Reciprocals

Esquimalt would be a good location for anchoring if there is a location there.

The CFB YC does have reciprocity, at least with my club, but on the two times I have tried, there was no space. Never tried to make a reservation.

There is a lot of anchorage space up the inlet in the vicinity of the old powder magazine, but I've never checked out the shore access. Likely one could dinghy down to the YC.

I recall getting in late one night and anchoring in Oak Bay, that could be farther out then you want though. I don't remember that the municipal dock in the inner harbor was that crowded or costly.

There are two clubs (CFB), power and sail. The sailing club lists reciprocals but when I just did a Google Earth, I only saw sailboats there. The power club only takes 30 and under boats for moorage. My boat technically is 28 1/2 but if you throw in the short bowsprit, 18 inch swim grid and a dinghy hanging off the back so my boat all in is roughly 31 1/2 but close enough for government work.

I have been toying with joining the Deep Bay Yacht Club partially for the reciprocals, I see the CFB Esquimalt Sailing Club listed but not the power boat club listing.

For me to join the CFB Esqimalt Power club, its $50/year, almost free.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom