Gloucester and North Cruise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marcy

Vessel Name
Paumanok
Vessel Make
Albin 34 Fast Trawler
Hello all,

My husband and I are planning a trip north from Redbrook Harbor in Cataumet on Cape Cod to Gloucester and north in July. I know that "Twisted Tree" and "Benthic2" (love the name, we both worked in Benthic labs on Lake Ontario) both hail from that area. We would appreciate any help/guidance you (or anyone else) can offer for the trip. We mostly anchor or take or pick up a mooring. We want to include Isle of Shoals, Portsmouth and maybe go up to Portland ME but are nervous about fog and lobster pots. Any direction/suggestions for navigating the Anisquam will be greatly appreciated too. We will be traveling in our
1986 Albin 34 Paumanok. Thank you all.

Marcy

The Annisquam river is a beautify trip, but I would try to do it on a week day rather than a weekend, if possible. Be mindful of the buoys, especially at low tide, but it was recently dredged and is completely navigable.

Also be mindful of the Blynman bridge and cut that connects the river with Gloucester Harbor. The current runs up to 4 kts, and significant standing waves can build, fueled by boat wake. Slack high or low is preferable. Traffic coming out of the river into the harbor takes priority, then traffic entering the river from the harbor. It's very doable, just better to know what to expect rather than be surprised by it.

If you anchor in Gloucester Harbor, I would try to get tucked in as close to Niles Beach as you can. I think there you will have the most protection from boat wakes, sheltered by Ten Pound Island. Holding is good everywhere and depths are a pretty consistent 20-30'.

I'm up on Penobscot Bay in Maine, I don't know if you intend to come up this way but there's plenty of great spots to anchor out around the islands, just make sure you check the wind, tide and depth over your intended stay. Lobster gear is a problem pretty much only if you travel at night, although there's plenty around. By the way I ran the R/V Seth Green on Lake Ontario many years ago.

Eastern Point yacht club is easy to get in to in any tide and have a very good restaurant if you’re stopping near Gloucester. Isle of shoals is overrated and can be difficult imho. Portsmouth NH is fun. Have a daughter who lives on the shore in Rye. Can see the islands from her house on a clear day. Still go to Portsmouth even when not visiting her. Find you’re better off meandering going down east and just getting her done going home. Will just leave Maine and head to P’town non stop going home. We commonly do the run P’town, Eastern point, southwest harbor. Like going by P’town/Race Point as we commonly see whales.Try to do approaches into Maine harbors straight in perpendicular. Try to stay out past the 75’-100’ depth contour in Maine as rope is expensive so much fewer pots if you’re goal is just get to Maine. Then do P’town to Mainiticus and turn to port. No pots to stress about during the night. Have yet to pick up a pot in decades of cruising this area. Have much more troubles in Naragansett bay as there they use discarded gallon containers for anything including black ones as pick up bouys. +10/-10 with a finger on the AP will get you by. Be careful anchoring in Maine. It’s not like the Mass bay side of CC. Many areas of thin cover on rock ledge. So back down strong to make sure you’re not in that situation. Don’t worry be happy.

Last edited:
That sounds like a great trip. I'd second TT's warning's about the Blynman Canal when entering the Anisquam River. I would add that you don't want to transit the canal immediately behind one of the whale watching/party fishing boats. They tend to turn it into a bit of a washing machine for a few minutes. Gloucester harbor has some nice restaurants with docks and the downtown area is close to the waterfront. The Essex River is a nice spot area with some anchoring areas. Kettle Cove just before the entrance to Gloucester Harbor is a nice anchoring spot. Salem is about 10 miles south of Gloucester and has a very nice waterfront area called Pickering Wharf with restaurants, shops and museums. About 15 miles north of Cape Ann you'll find Newburyport a short trip up the Merimack River. It's another scenic waterfront area with lots to do. Rockport is another quaint little harbor that is home to the most photographed building in the US. Once you see it in person you will see it everywhere on billboards, callendars and postcards. The area has a very rich history and offers a little something for everyone. It has been home for writers like Longfellow and Hawthorn, painters like Winslow Homer and Fitz Hugh Lane and has more lighthouses than anyone could care to see. If you can get ashore on Thatcher island you can climb one of the oldest lighthouses in the US. Enjoy the trip and if you have any specific questions just ask!!

If you make it as far as Portland, don't miss Jewell Island a bit to the east of Portland. Great anchorage but with a good reversing current that keeps you in the middle of the slot. Go ashore and find mussels at low tide in Punchbowl Cove on the opposite side of the island. Also nice hiking to WWII era lookout. It is my favorite stop in Maine.

David

As an aside my favorite Maine spot is near Eastport in cobscook. Called reversing falls. Can see seals and eagles feasting on stripers trapped at the edge of the 12’ tidal fall. Totally wild.

As an aside my favorite Maine spot is near Eastport in cobscook. Called reversing falls. Can see seals and eagles feasting on stripers trapped at the edge of the 12’ tidal fall. Totally wild.

I'm headed Downeast myself shortly, you're right about Cobscook bay, I used to scallop there years ago.

Back
Top Bottom