Traveling St. Lawrence Seaway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is it possible to do the loop without entering Canada ? It seems like some of the waterways have the border right down the middle. If you only land or anchor in US Waters, can you avoid the custom process all together ?

Is it possible to do the loop without entering Canada ? It seems like some of the waterways have the border right down the middle. If you only land or anchor in US Waters, can you avoid the custom process all together ?

Yes, it's possible if your boat has a low enough air draft to navigate the Western Erie Canal. If you have to use the Oswego, then you have to go through Canada.

I see only one reason to avoid Canada and that is someone who can't legally enter.

Wifey B: In addition to guns being "no no", one that sneaks up on people is any history of DUI. :nonono:

We like the culture of major cities and none have more than Montreal and Quebec City. Yes, Quebec City is another 140 nm, but it's such an incredible place if you can possibly make it, we'd really encourage you. :D

Wifey B,

What is the DUI thing... going to or from Canada? I've known several folks that I've taken into Canada and back to the US with a history of DUI and was never an issue.

Wifey B,

What is the DUI thing... going to or from Canada? I've known several folks that I've taken into Canada and back to the US with a history of DUI and was never an issue.
You just happened to get lucky and or officer having a good day. Not only as boating thing... driving as well.
I know at least a couple that were refused... had a guided hunt booked and were refused entry. It took a few years to finally get cleared to enter.
If any doubt its worth confirming ahead of time that entry will be allowed

Greetings,
Re: Post #3. It is NOT necessary to go to Erie. PA to do the "loop". If one exits at Oswego, one can run either east or west on Lake Ontario and stay in US waters. I suspect even if you run east along the St. Lawrence AND pass through the Seaway locks, some of which ARE in Canadian territory, it is still not necessary to check in since you are in transit in international waters. Might be wrong on the last part...

Just a caution interpreting comments about "the loop" I think different responses are referring to different "loops".
OP asked about the Erie canal St Lawrence to Lk Champlain loop.
Other responses have talked about the great loop... very different.

Keep the recommendations coming. Thank you.
I think we will modify the original plan to include the Rideau.
Oswego to TI, then cross over to Canada, then back to Kingston, then to Ottawa, Ottawa River to SLS, then SLS to Montreal, and Sorel.
I'm having a new enclosure built in a couple weeks. Forgot about the height limit. The top will be right at 17 feet. What is the obstacle on the Champlain Canal at 17'? I can disassemble the top if I have to. A couple key screws removed and it will collapse. Hope not.

Keep the recommendations coming. Thank you.
I think we will modify the original plan to include the Rideau.
Oswego to TI, then cross over to Canada, then back to Kingston, then to Ottawa, Ottawa River to SLS, then SLS to Montreal, and Sorel.
I'm having a new enclosure built in a couple weeks. Forgot about the height limit. The top will be right at 17 feet. What is the obstacle on the Champlain Canal at 17'? I can disassemble the top if I have to. A couple key screws removed and it will collapse. Hope not.
From Ottawa to montreal is quite a long way to go. In the event you take this route let me know I will point you to good anchorages or place to stay depending on what you are looking for and when you are there.

L

Wifey B,

It's into Canada, DUI in the past ten years requires a dispensation that can be a challenge to get. Those who didn't serve jail time can get by with a $200 fine. Difference made between misdemeanor DUI and felony as well.

Canada is far from the only country with that rule.

US allows DUI's but will refuse reentry to those with Temporary Work Visas.

China, Dubai, Iran, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, UAE, and New Zealand have laws on DUI entry although some far more lenient than others.

Here's an entire website on the subject with Canada.

Entering Canada with a DUI - Canada DUI Entry 2019

Greetings,
Mr. B. Re: post #37 and the "loop". Not sure about the finer points BUT I think all of the St. Lawrence Seaway is considered international (Can/US) water and unless one docks or anchors in either country they are not considered "landed" and do not have to check into respective customs officials. I also think that applies to waters that are completely in Canadian territory such as Montreal or Quebec city and on out into the Gulf of St. Lawrence.
I suppose it can be done along the Richelieu system if one "hovers" but it would be an exercise too difficult to contemplate. You would have to be under way 24/7.

Just a couple of anecdotal tidbits regarding Canada and Americans with DUIs:

[STRIKE]I've worked with many people who have had problems with past DUI issues when entering Canada. Most recently, a coworker who earned a DUI more than 15 years ago was just flagged last year, after more than 12 years of going in and out of Canada without incident. This happens fairly regularly, but they seem to be more strict with people who will be doing work while in Canada, rather than just tourists.

My last private boat trip to Canada was about four years ago. My ex was with me, and he had ...ahem... several DUIs under his belt. I actually asked the customs officials when checking in if it was an issue (which was likely a bit dumb,) and they said it was no problem.

Moral of the story is that it's very hit and miss.[/STRIKE]

This information is old and outdated. Please see the post below. Thanks Lou.

Last edited:
Be careful with DUI in Canada, law has changed as of last December. It is now a criminal offense that can have an impact to your right to enter/stay in Canada. As an example, being permanent resident and found guilty of charge may result in your expulsion. Also now any agent can request a test if he wants it, no need for you to show clear sign of alcohol consumption. Not really something to play with.

L

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom