What is your Californian 34 fuel economy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeaRow

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
TBD
Vessel Make
Californian 34
I am in the market for a Californian 34.

I have seen some on the market with Cat 3208's and original low hours (1500 on a lake) But I have heard the best fuel economy is about 4-5 gallons per mile. Does that sound right? And about 9 GPM at about 15 knts.

Should I be scared of an 70/80s boat with original well taken care of engines?

I would like to have the best economy as possible because I plan to make trips to Mexico from Santa Barbara plus my local trips around Channel Islands would be about 100 miles round trip.. Anyone have those small 85 hp Perkins? Are they still going strong?

I see one boat listed.. sale already pending that has been re-powered with Isuzu but don't know the fuel economy.

Whatcha got? Happy with it?

THANKS !

Chris

I will start off quoting "FlyWright" from another thread (different topic, Props)

---
My 1977 34 has original 4.236 Perkins 85hp twins. I cruise routinely at 1800 RPM FOR 7.5 kts and 3.2 gph total (1.6 gph per side).

I bought her in 2007 with 2200 hrs. Today she has 4000 hrs and going strong. 1500 hrs is low time for a well maintained diesel.
---

I am in the market for a Californian 34.

I have seen some on the market with Cat 3208's and original low hours (1500 on a lake) But I have heard the best fuel economy is about 4-5 gallons per mile. Does that sound right? And about 9 GPM at about 15 knts.

Should I be scared of an 70/80s boat with original well taken care of engines?

I would like to have the best economy as possible because I plan to make trips to Mexico from Santa Barbara plus my local trips around Channel Islands would be about 100 miles round trip.. Anyone have those small 85 hp Perkins? Are they still going strong?

I see one boat listed.. sale already pending that has been re-powered with Isuzu but don't know the fuel economy.

Whatcha got? Happy with it?

THANKS !

Chris

I think you should be referring to 4-5 gallons per hour, not per mile. Also, Cat 3208s stuffed into a 34’ boat can be cramped, at best.

Yes Giggitoni,
You are correct, I meant an hour. But at about 8kts 4-5 gal an hour isn't that much different if you are 9 gal an hour but at 15kts.

I would love to hear some other motor options for best fuel economy on a Californian 34.

Anyone else know thier fuel numbers?

Back
Top Bottom