Buying advice...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woverend

Looking for thoughts about possibly purchasing a 1982 34 LRC with the turbo Perkins engines.
A little background:
We've owned a second home in Abaco Bahamas for 30 years or so. House was destroyed by Dorian, but all of our other stuff (golf carts, runabout boats, etc) survived relatively well. I have been looking at a trawler as "temporary lodging" while we tackle building a new house, which could take at least 2 years to complete.
Additionally, I have access to a free slip in Key Largo, so there is an opportunity to explore the keys as well while we readjust and reevaluate life after Dorian.
I had originally been looking at 36-38 foot dual cabin trawlers (Monk, MT, etc.) but the recent financial and travel instability has given me some second thoughts

How would a 34' Fast trawler fit my "mission"? There is one available with low engine hours and seems in good structural shape. Smaller accommodations than a Monk 36 (for example) but also the added versatility of being able to cruise at 18 knots instead of just 7 knots.

Primary users would be myself and two teenage boys. We have done plenty of "boat camping" in the past.

It would split its time between Key Largo and Elbow Cay Bahamas - maybe making 2 round trips per year.

Thoughts?

The two teenage boys will grow. Make sure you have enough room.
Dropping the table every day gets old fast.

Last edited:
In my opinion, and that's all it is opinion, I wouldn't try it. I think teenagers need their own space, that will hard to provide for them in such tight quarters. I do fine living aboard solo. Ok with a partner if she's OK with boat living. My kids, not so much. They think it's fun to visit for a day or two but then want off and back to having their own room etc. And my kids aren't high maintenance, they don't need lots of electronics. They grew up rural not afraid to go outside and get grubby.

Thanks for the parenting advice, but we've already worked through all of those factors. Actually looking for thoughts from current or former 34 LRC or Fast Trawler owners regarding their experience with their boats, especially anyone who has done Keys/Bahamas causing with theirs.

Greetings,
Mr. W. Welcome aboard, If I've missed you. You're wise to consider ANY boat with respect to the "mission" you wish to pursue.

200.webp

Two return trips per year will not exclude a "regular (slower)" trawler IMO particularly if you will be using her as a home base. The issue arises as to how close you can dock/moor your vessel to the work site. Commuting, even for 1/4 mile can get stale REALLY fast. Perhaps a tent on site as well?

Commuting? Yes, you'll probably want some turn of speed and probably have to give up some creature comforts.

"...recent financial and travel instability..." Indeed enters into the equation, big time. Hurricane season approaches and IF the Bahamas is locked down for any length of time you may not be able to visit for an indefinite period.

Normally I would say go for it but...

200.webp

Edit: Mr W...Or maybe Ms. W. Just saw your post. We've done a bit of travel in both the Keys and the Bahamas. Used to have a 34' Marine Trader. Currently 46' Cheoy Lee LRC. Cheoy Lee is FAR more comfortable BUT larger.

Last edited:
OK, not parenting advice but living advice. The kids can agree to all conditions and you can make them work. But clearing the table, lowering it and making everything up will very quickly become a pain. Plus a convertible table berth means pretty much everyone must go to bed at the same time, no more card games or late night snacks. Not to mention bathroom issues.

Then when the kids start declining the opportunity to go for a cruise you have no options for adult guests.

Get an aft cabin boat with two heads, you will be glad you did.

pete

Looking for thoughts about possibly purchasing a 1982 34 LRC with the turbo Perkins engines.
A little background:
We've owned a second home in Abaco Bahamas for 30 years or so. House was destroyed by Dorian, but all of our other stuff (golf carts, runabout boats, etc) survived relatively well. I have been looking at a trawler as "temporary lodging" while we tackle building a new house, which could take at least 2 years to complete.
Additionally, I have access to a free slip in Key Largo, so there is an opportunity to explore the keys as well while we readjust and reevaluate life after Dorian.
I had originally been looking at 36-38 foot dual cabin trawlers (Monk, MT, etc.) but the recent financial and travel instability has given me some second thoughts

How would a 34' Fast trawler fit my "mission"? There is one available with low engine hours and seems in good structural shape. Smaller accommodations than a Monk 36 (for example) but also the added versatility of being able to cruise at 18 knots instead of just 7 knots.

Primary users would be myself and two teenage boys. We have done plenty of "boat camping" in the past.

It would split its time between Key Largo and Elbow Cay Bahamas - maybe making 2 round trips per year.

Thoughts?

This is all rather odd. How does a house in the Abacos get destroyed, but all the stuff in it, or near it is unscathed? You live in Georgia but are considering a boat to be docked in Key Largo? Do you realize how far it is from say Ft. Pierce (closest straight shot to the Abacos) just to Key Largo, by car, and how far by water it is from Key Largo to the Abacos? And you want to do it in an ancient little boat? All of that traveling expenses for a “free slip”, when slips in Ft.Pierce are so cheap? I’m sure you could visit the Riverside Boatyard on Dixie Hwy, and could quickly find a suitable boat for free.

Last edited:
18 kts will be around 2 gallons per mile. Something to think about at Bahamas fuel prices. Also, twins in a 34 foot boat doesn't leave much room for access for maintenance. Your operational costs may usurp some of your purchase savings.

That said, if time is your limiting factor, being able to double your range in the same time may be worth it especially transiting skinny water where night time transits may not be prudent.

As far as thinking outside the box, there are some offshore sport fishers that might fit the bill. Albin Tournament Express comes to mind and it has some interesting accommodations. Bayliner 34 is another. Personally, I'd concentrate on sedan/convertible layouts where my boys could easily jump off the. Ack deck. Problem with trunk cabin trawlers and sundeck motor yachts is the outdoor space is limited and too far off the water. Keys and Bahamas cry out for covered outdoor space...

Sounds like a ton of fun. Great chance to build memories with your boys.

To extrapolate: Exploring the Keys.
I grew up here, and know it well. First of all, it’s not like it used to be. The water is no longer crystal clear on both sides, and it’s rather “built out” and gentrified. The occupants today aren’t as carefree as before, and rather territorial of their hunk of expensive real estate. In other words they make it as hard as possible for “budget cruisers” (they say bums) to do anything. So the days of just dropping anchor anywhere is long gone. The diving and snorkeling remains on the ocean side, yet the best places to safely anchor away from others (and fish) is on the bay side. The only way to get from one side to the other in Key Largo is the Marvin Adams Waterway which has height restrictions of 14’. Then there’s the idle speed zones.
On the other hand the Keys are totally set up for you to trailer a fast boat, and stay at the scores of motels that have dockage (and basins) for small boats. Those boats they welcome. A nice 17’ center console with a big Bimini top that can cruise at 40 mph is perfect because unless you really really really like looking at the backs of houses for mile after mile, it’s best to scoot past them as fast as possible, then use the connector creeks north and south of Key Largo to go back and forth between the Ocean and the bay. So to reiterate-keep a Bahama commuter in Ft. Pierce, and trailer a boat to the Keys.

Last edited:
I agree Capt Max ....the Keys are not what brochures promise....maybe.

Sure.... to a point.... but like all of America....great tourists spots are different from old timers stories and they are truly tourist amplified.

Like many places, become a local, a resident or a serious seasonal part timer... it's different than being a cruiser that just plans on a short time passing through.

Cruise speed

My top cruise speed on my 34 is about 14 knots with the 200 HP Perkins. I make 16 to 18 knots at W.O.T. at 2400 which for that engine is a 1 hr rating. I don't think you will cruise at 18 knots especially if you are loaded up as a live aboard.

Also important to make sure the Manicoolers and multicoolers are in good shape, Mutlticoolers are about 4,000+ a pop and the Manicoolers are not available. Repair can be expensive. The Perkins have always run nice and are pretty strait-forward.

Our Californian 34(1984) is great for a couple + cat. Spent months on the ICW, but would not want to spend much more than a few days with any more on board.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom