John Deere aftercooler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Almad

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Pasha
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 50
Greetings. I am currently experiencing the joy of servicing my engines. The latest issue I have come up against is trying to remove the core from the aftercooler. After further research, it seems I’m not the only one.
My question is, having successfully removed one, there are four small rubber/silicon? Seals that run the length of the core in their own little recess, effectively I assume sealing of each compartment.
Utube has a Cummins being serviced with the recommendation of discarding these. Can anybody give some advice as to whether these are necessary? I assume if they came that way, they serve a purpose. Thx in advance.

I have Cummins 6CTAs in my boat. I tried getting the cores out of my aftercoolers. Finally took one to a machine shop and they pressed it out. It took 13 tons of pressure to get it out. It appeared that they had never been serviced by the POs. Cummins assembles them without any lubrication so they can corrode together. Don’t know about the little spacers.

If you buy new that is correct Cummins does not lub them prior to shipment. You or someone needs to lubricate them before you put them in your boat - I have a QSC 8.3 and I removed my aftercoolers and found out it was shot. I got someone to replace it for me because I did not understand or know how to do it properly myself. YMMV so feel free but to me it was worth having it done right.

I bought one new one and took it apart and lubed it before I put it in. I then used the old housing and put a new core in it for the other engine. It was pretty easy to do once I had them press out the old core. Lots of lube and new O rings.

The strips provide minimum sealing of each of the three exchanger passes. Tony Athens says you can do without them. Good enough for me.

David

Thx guys. Reply’s much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom