Old 12-04-2018, 09:10 PM   #1
Guru

City: Vermont
Building a Nordhavn - again

Here we go again. I think many of you know we sold our Nordhavn 60 and are building a Nordhavn 68. The build got underway in late June and about a month ago the hull was released from the mold.

Here is a blog article covering this stage of the build

Adventures of Tanglewood: Nordhavn 68 Build Underway

Enjoy
Old 12-04-2018, 09:38 PM   #2
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Twisted, what are you looking for between the two vessels?

I guess maybe a better way to ask that is, why the switch?
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 09:52 PM   #3
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Well, damn, that’s a big boat! Congrats!

Can my wife and I stow away? You can pull my boat as a tender. [emoji23]
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:37 PM   #4
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Well, damn, that’s a big boat! Congrats!

Can my wife and I stow away? You can pull my boat as a tender. [emoji23]
Stow away? Should be an easy thing to do Dude. That extra 8’ length will probably make the lazarette a bigger cabin than most of us have.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 11:12 PM   #5
Guru

City: Sea of Cortez, Mexico
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40II
That is a BIG boat.

When/where is delivery anticipated?

We watched your 60 go by Port Angeles on its way to Seattle.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:28 PM   #6
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
It`s more small ship than big boat! Congratulations, hope the build process goes well.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:31 AM   #7

City: Baltimore, MD
Vessel Name: Starshine
Vessel Model: 1989 Bayliner 3288
Are you getting the asymmetrical or dual walk-around layout? Curious on why you decided on which layout.
johnrupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:52 AM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Twisted, what are you looking for between the two vessels?

I guess maybe a better way to ask that is, why the switch?

A bunch is answered in this earlier article - from a full year ago when we contracted the build. But a highlights list would be:

- More space - that's obvious
- I want the more comfortable ride in head seas of an aft PH arrangement. The increased weight helps too. 230,000 lbs is a lot of weight.
- Wet exhaust. Dry exhaust was a big mistake, in my mind.
- A number of visibility improvements both while underway, and while at anchor.
- A second, smaller generator.

Most of these are things you can't practically change in a boat, but there were other factors that lead to a new build:

- We were ready for a bit of a break from cruising. We love it, but had been accumulating a big backlog of other things we want to do. So the idea of a couple year break was attractive. That said, every time we see a boat or hear of someone visiting a place we like, it pains us to not have a boat.

- Our 60 offered great resale value. We bought at a good time, improved it in many ways, which allowing us to sell it with a pretty good net annual cost of ownership. Owning it was much like lending someone money for a few years, and instead of collecting interest, you get lots of fun and enjoyment. Then at the end you get most of your money back. So financially it was not a bath, but money well spent.

So all the stars aligned for another build. Plus, I'm trying to keep up with John Torelli...
Old 12-05-2018, 08:03 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRENE View Post
That is a BIG boat.

When/where is delivery anticipated?

We watched your 60 go by Port Angeles on its way to Seattle.

It won't be until the first half of 2020. There was a backlog and the boat didn't even mold until a year after we signed the LOI. And there are now 6 more in the queue behind us.

The plan is to take delivery in Florida, shakedown for a year or so, then work our way over to Europe via northern latitudes, and explore northern Europe for a few years. But we all know how plans work out.....

To us the biggest risk in the whole deal is our health and the shirt-happens factor. We love cruising, and want to do as much as we can while we have our health and aren't too old. We are both +/- 60, so should have plenty of time, but I don't want those to be famous last words. My parents dies at 60 and 63, so I'm particularly sensitive to the shirt-happens factor. That's the big risk in taking 2 years off instead of continuing on with a perfectly good boat.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:13 AM   #10
Guru

City: Puget Sound
Very cool, when is the scheduled completion date?
Ka_sea_ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:22 AM   #11

City: Baltimore, MD
Vessel Name: Starshine
Vessel Model: 1989 Bayliner 3288
My question was answered with your link. Good luck with your build.
johnrupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:22 AM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
It`s more small ship than big boat! Congratulations, hope the build process goes well.

It's funny you bring that up. When you look at the Nordhavn line, the 60 (and 63 which is the same hull) are big, small boats. They are really just bigger, and somewhat better equipped versions of any recreational trawler. And where they are better equipped, it's all options that have been added.

In contrast, the 68 is a small, big boat. It has construction, specifications, and standard equipment similar to what you would find an a much bigger "yacht", but in a smaller package, and still manageable by a couple.

Back when we were considering the 60, I rejected the 68 because the price tag was almost 2x. And for 8 feet? Actually, only 5 feet when you look at the actual specs. But I honestly had no appreciate for the difference, in many ways.

The first smack in the face was when I climbed aboard a friends 68 and stepped into the Salon. Holy crap, what a remarkable difference in size. And he had a walk around config, not a wide body asymetric config. That's when the shear volume difference really struck me, and it all comes from the additional 2-3' of beam. And from there so much falls into place. Much more engine rooms and equipment space, but more complete standard equipment specs, much more spacious and private guest space, etc. etc. Had I really spent any time on a 68 5 years ago, I might have bought one in the first place.

I file all this under two different, but similar sayings in the field.

1) But your last boat first, or buy your second boat first, or something like that.

2) Many people say buy the smallest boat that will meet your needs. I think that's wrong, and they you should buy the biggest boat that you can afford and manage and will do what you want.

Boats only get smaller over time, never bigger. Every "bigger" boat I've bought has started with an "oh my god, what have I done" when I see the shear size. But that last for maybe a week, then it all seems normal and you spend the rest of your time looking for space for things.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:26 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrupp View Post
My question was answered with your link. Good luck with your build.

Right, you asked about walk around vs wide body. We did wide body, but only because we also added a stairway from the cockpit to the upper level where you can then walk the full length of the port side. To us, the wide body only works if combined with the stairs. Otherwise port-side handling is a lot of running around.

That said, one of the lessons I've learned is that we all adapt, and adapt very well. So whatever you have, you figure out how to make it work. But when building a boat, that's the opportunity to improve on things.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:13 AM   #14
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Stow away? Should be an easy thing to do Dude. That extra 8’ length will probably make the lazarette a bigger cabin than most of us have.
Unbeknowst to TT, I have already hollowed out a small cabin for myself where he'll never find it. He'll notice the food missing from the refer, perhaps, but he'll never find me.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:21 AM   #15
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Can a boat that size be run by a wife/husband crew of two?
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:30 AM   #16
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Alright another build to watch!! Thanks for sharing.

Oh and under no circumstances are you allowed to show this thread to Crusty Chief!!! If you do, take a large towel!! He maybe lurking around the build too.........LOL
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 11:24 AM   #17
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Hi,

Congratulations on your new build NH6837 project and plan for the coming adventures of the new trawler.

NBs
North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:01 PM   #18
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Can a boat that size be run by a wife/husband crew of two?

Docking will be the major constraint for two. Surprised they don't build many of the big ones with twin engines. That would make bringing the boat up to the dock smoothly much easier so tying off would be less of a problem.

Underway it is a matter of comfort and sharing the watch. Its not like you need one at the helm and another in the engine room all of the time. Once away from shipping, you should be able to do it with two ok.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 01:07 PM   #19
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
It won't be until the first half of 2020. There was a backlog and the boat didn't even mold until a year after we signed the LOI. And there are now 6 more in the queue behind us.

The plan is to take delivery in Florida, shakedown for a year or so, then work our way over to Europe via northern latitudes, and explore northern Europe for a few years. But we all know how plans work out.....

To us the biggest risk in the whole deal is our health and the shirt-happens factor. We love cruising, and want to do as much as we can while we have our health and aren't too old. We are both +/- 60, so should have plenty of time, but I don't want those to be famous last words. My parents dies at 60 and 63, so I'm particularly sensitive to the shirt-happens factor. That's the big risk in taking 2 years off instead of continuing on with a perfectly good boat.
Sounds like a great plan. My parents also died young and that makes me slightly more focused, but my parents also died as a result of lifestyle choices and bad habits I don't have. That's the real reminder I think of is to not do things that are known to shorten life expectancy. My wife and I have made a commitment to each other to take fitness seriously, not smoke, drink rarely, and even to eat healthier than we otherwise might. My parents died at the ages of 59 and 68, both heart related. My wife's parents died in an auto accident but she had long been estranged and wasn't aware until much later.

We also have the desire to cross to Europe. Always nice to see others who do, since so many argue in favor of shipping the boat. Just not the same.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 01:17 PM   #20
Guru

City: Pahrump, NV
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Sold Selene 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Alright another build to watch!! Thanks for sharing.

Oh and under no circumstances are you allowed to show this thread to Crusty Chief!!! If you do, take a large towel!! He maybe lurking around the build too.........LOL
I represent that remark!

Seriously, the thought of retrofitting a larger boat, let alone building one, is what helped us in the decision to keep our current sized boat. For serious distance cruising, it requires a ton of preparation and time.

Speaking of that, need to put together a new post on projects this past fall.
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote