Old 04-04-2022, 06:06 PM   #1

City: ALTADENA
Berth Conversion

I'm in the process of buying a Grand Banks 42 classic, with the two berths in the master cabin. Has anyone here done a conversion to an island queen, or have knowledge of such?
Boldventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 06:09 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard. I am not familiar with the tanks in that boat but that would probably be the biggest issue. Then just a bunch of woodworking.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 06:28 PM   #3

City: ALTADENA
Berth Conversion

Thanks for your reply: If your referring to the fuel tanks, I'm not sure why they should be an issue, can you explain?

Larry
Boldventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 06:41 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

If there are tanks under the split berths they would have to be moved or have new ones made that would fit under the new queen berth. Could be an easy job or a real PITA. Depends on what is there and the size/configuration.
Old 04-04-2022, 09:32 PM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
No knowledge here of what is under the split berths, but I do know that the water tanks in a split berth 42 are out in the lazarette. A recent thread on that 42 showed a queen in the aft cabin, with the doors out to the aft deck opening onto that queen. So you would lose the ladder to the doors out, and probably would learn to hate not being able to get in from out back.
Old 04-04-2022, 11:26 PM   #6
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Our gb36 was converted by the previous owner to a single queen, we never missed the stairs to the back deck, we did open the door on nice days for a great breeze through the boat.
Hollywood
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 12:23 AM   #7
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
The two berths probably have drawers under and more storage port/starboard the same as on the GB36. The limitations are whether the island queen has walk around at the foot. Layouts I have seen show different head and closet layout(shorter) to allow that.
SteveK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 05:08 AM   #8
Guru

City: Vermont
Vessel Name: Luna C.
Vessel Model: 1977 Marine Trader 34DC
We are contemplating reworking our aft bed setup too, different boat though. Under our bunks are all storage except the port side does have the exhaust hose running through it.
CharlieO. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 01:49 PM   #9

City: Grand Rapids, MI
Vessel Name: Escape
Vessel Model: 1973 Concorde 41 DC
My Concorde 41 has the twin berths and the two 160 gallon fuel tanks are under those. Moving those would not be practical. If they were leaking and needed replacing I'd go with one queen size tank on center line and the bed above it, but they're not. Stainless steel so not likely to ever need replacing.
The isle between them is wide enough that I was able to extend one berth to a "double" size mattress and installed more drawers underneath the extension. There's enough isle left to get around. That leaves one side of the double still up against the hull. I'd rather have a walk around on both sides but it's the best I could do. The wood work was easy to do, it's all laminate over plywood and I was able to get more of the same stuff.
I assume the GB has natural wood paneling which wood be harder to match. If there's nothing much under the existing berths the change wouldn't be too hard, and probably a lot of the old wood could be reused.
jgwinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 02:58 PM   #10
Veteran Member

City: Edgerton
Vessel Name: Proper State of Mind
Vessel Model: 1993 GB 42 Classic, Hull #1278
I have a 42 classic with the dual bunk set-up too (one queen, one full in the aft). The island king is the only check box my boat didnít have when I was looking/bought. I investigated converting to the island king, itís very possible and just woodwork.

I donít use the aft door/escape opening, typically I leave the canvas on it as the seals run multidirectional and often leak in a hard rainstorm so special access to that door/escape opening (post conversation) wasnít an issue with me.

Now, back to your original question, the reason I didnít implement the island berth is Iíve actually come to like the twin set-up better after I started using the boat. I find itís not that uncommon that I have buddies with me more often than not on a cruise vs a spouse. With the twin itís a much better set up. Matching the woodwork has always been in the back of my mind tooÖ

My suggestion would be buy the boat, use it a while and then make a call on the conversation. You may hear a few ďI canít make this damn bedÖ.Ē comments in the meantime, but an answer of ďworking on itĒ may be better than ďI wish I had left it aloneÖ..Ē.

Just my two centsÖ.
dz1drwww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 05:17 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

You could cover the new berth with vinyl if you donít have a lot of woodworking experience. It will cover a multitude of sins if you use foam backed vinyl.
Old 04-06-2022, 01:23 AM   #12
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
You could cover the new berth with vinyl if you donít have a lot of woodworking experience. It will cover a multitude of sins if you use foam backed vinyl.

Good God man its a Grand banks not a SeaRay!
Have you no shame!
Hollywood
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 01:54 AM   #13

City: Santa Barbara Harbor
Vessel Name: Caballero II
Vessel Model: Grand Banks Classic 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boldventure View Post
I'm in the process of buying a Grand Banks 42 classic, with the two berths in the master cabin. Has anyone here done a conversion to an island queen, or have knowledge of such?
I have a GB 36 with that double/single set-up in the aft cabin. We would much rather have a center-line double bed so my babe didn't have to climb over me to get out and pee in the middle of the night, but that's the deal. And we wouldn't dream of having someone else sleeping down there with us. The single on the port side does no good except to act as the bosun's locker for rope and lines, life vests, emergency supplies, blankets, dive stuff etc. It has drawers under. I read about a guy in the NE who removed the single port berth and built in a wood stove over there, with a Charlie Noble to go thru the aft coach roof. We're in southern California so no need for the stove but I thought it was a good idea. You could retain most of the "bosun's locker" space, and have the warmth of the stove. The heat might be a little intense for us in Santa Barbara, but otherwise I like the idea.
Caballero II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 07:30 AM   #14
Obx

City: Outer banks NC
We just did ours about 3 months ago. the mufflers run under the beds, we took the dresser (under the rear escape hatch) out and saved the sliding drawers and the face of the dresser, relocated it to the port side using the end of the closet as one side, and reinstalled the dresser face the sliding drawers. we built a bed frame to fit a queen size from finished plywood turned across (port to stbd) putting the head against the stbd muffler box with part of one side butting against the bathroom wall (maybe 14"). At the foot end of the bed we were able to install all the drawers (except the map drawer). We can walk around both sides of the bed. we installed house flooring and put a transitional piece where the bathroom door is (did not floor the bathroom). We used 1/8" finished to cover the remaining top and sides of the muffler boxes. stained all of it. I had strips of cherry cut the same width as the existing side (bow to stern) boards and installed across the aft bhd (where the dresser originally was). stained everything and are putting coats of polyurethane, haven't finished that yet. we bought a "bed in a box" mattress, love it. This way open the box in the stateroom and you don't have to drag a big mattress thru the boat. Let me know if I can answer any questions.
Obx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 07:37 AM   #15
Guru

City: Vermont
Vessel Name: Luna C.
Vessel Model: 1977 Marine Trader 34DC
Obx, would love to see some pics.
CharlieO. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 08:03 AM   #16
Obx

City: Outer banks NC
Ok, I'll be back at the boat this week and take some
Obx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 11:04 AM   #17

City: Tacoma
Oh, the conversion to a queen birth would be awesum, I am in the process of buying an 87 36 Grand banks Classic and that would be way better than the current setup, we are actually going to the Boat haven yard for haul out and survey on the 18th of April
Did you do the conversion yourself or have it done ? any info would be helppful,
thanks
Ray
Rippy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 11:31 AM   #18
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Ray, Give it a season as is before converting to a queen. When we bought this boat we thought the same way, not anymore. Another sound sleep last night.
SteveK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 11:39 AM   #19

City: Tacoma
I will as I will need to attend to more critical systems if need be first, however I have just recently sold a boat that had what I call a coffin berth in which case you had to literally snake out around your partner and 2 small dogs to go pee and not fun, so will review the 2 bunk layout in the 36 this Sunday and take many pictures,
Thanks
Ray
Rippy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 12:30 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
Good God man its a Grand banks not a SeaRay!
Have you no shame!
Hollywood
Not everyone has the ability to do first class woodwork so using vinyl might work for them. Besides sometimes getting something different than complete teak looks nice and can brighten up a dark wood interior. We just went from a completely teak interior trawler to an express cruiser with a brighter interior. So far we love it but didnít realize that until we had the boat for a bit. But now we love the brighter interior.