Old 11-22-2021, 02:52 PM   #1
Guru

City: Bayview
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Willard Vega 30
Simple Helm

Puffin came with a 5 chart plotter from about 2003. Not much of a display. I have opted to without a dedicated plotter and am going to use an iPad instead with a dedicated multiplexer.

Ive installed a Quark QK-A026 with its own AIS and GPS antennas. It takes those and the NMEA 0183 depth info from my Sounder and Electronic Compass and transmits it over its own WiFi network to all of the devices on Puffin. My display is a WiFi only iPad Air 2 running iSailor with the AIS and NMEA modules activated. All of the information can be accessed via this program.

Makes a nice uncluttered helm. We do carry a compass and chart book of our cruising area (Puget Sound to Alaska) as backup along with Radar and the Depth Sounder.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5688.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	123123

Bob
Old 11-22-2021, 02:59 PM   #2
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
That's the way to do it. Don't add stuff just because "it should be there", but install what you find useful or necessary.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 04:50 PM   #3
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cofer View Post
Puffin came with a 5” chart plotter from about 2003. Not much of a display. I have opted to without a dedicated plotter and am going to use an iPad instead with a dedicated multiplexer.

I’ve installed a Quark QK-A026 with its own AIS and GPS antennas. It takes those and the NMEA 0183 depth info from my Sounder and Electronic Compass and transmits it over its own WiFi network to all of the devices on Puffin. My display is a WiFi only iPad Air 2 running iSailor with the AIS and NMEA modules activated. All of the information can be accessed via this program.

Makes a nice uncluttered helm. We do carry a compass and chart book of our cruising area (Puget Sound to Alaska) as backup along with Radar and the Depth Sounder.

Attachment 123123

Bob
Looks like you got it covered. Most of my boating experience has been sailing until recently, and I survived pretty well with paper charts, knotmeter, compass, VHF, and depth. No GPS, no plotter, no radar, no Loran, etc.