Winterize mainship 390

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiz

I don’t have the luxury to go south. We will own a 2001 mainship 390 on Monday. Located in CT.

Hoping to know roughly how much antifreeze I need for the two ac units, engine (single Cummins 330) and generator 8kv Koehler. Engine has loop to water heater.

Just the raw water. I plan to empty the water tank and blow out the water system with air. Will also run some though head to holding tank.

Any info appreciated. I need to start picking up supplies.

—Kevin

[FONT=&quot]Winterizing the sanitation system:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Pump holding tank out, then rinse thoroughly to flush out any sludge. This does not require filling the tank and can even be done with sea water. Here’s how: [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Put enough water into the tank via the deck pumpout fitting—because that sends the water into the tank at the bottom to stir up any sludge and hold it in suspension so it can be flushed out-- to cover the bottom to a depth of at least three inches. Pump that out. Repeat…repeat…repeat…till you’re pumping out clean water. Then add water one more time and turn on the macerator to rinse it out along with the overboard discharge plumbing. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Alternatively, you can use a washdown pump to do the whole job. Stick the nozzle into the deck pumpout out fitting and turn on the water. When the depth reaches a couple of inches, leave the water running and turn on the macerator Let both run till the water runs clean (it may be best to do this offshore outside the “3 mile limit”).[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]By the way, this should be done at least 2-3x a season and especially in preparation for winter or other extended layup.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Now you’re ready to winterize the system. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Sea water toilet[/FONT][FONT=&quot], manual or electric: Just flushing antifreeze through the bowl will not protect the intake line, the toilet pump or the bowl...it'll only go out the discharge to the tank. To protect the whole system, it's necessary to close the toilet intake through-hull, disconnect inlet hose and stick it in a gallon of non-toxic ("the pink stuff") antifreeze. Pump the whole gallon through the system into the holding tank. Do not reconnect head intake hose to the through-hull. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]If your toilet inlet line is teed into the head sink drain line, you can add the antifreeze by just pouring it down the sink--after you've closed the drain seacock, of course! Pump the head or hold the button down long enough to get the excess fluid out of the system as possible.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Fresh water toilet[/FONT][FONT=&quot]: If your toilet uses onboard pressurized fresh water, you winterized it when you winterized your fresh water system. All that remains is, flush the appropriate amount of non-toxic antifreeze ("the pink stuff") down the toilet into the tank and you’re done.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]3. After the boat comes out of the water, open all the sea cocks to drain any [/FONT][FONT=&quot]trapped water.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]And you’re done. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Do not use antifreeze in an ElectroScan, Lectra/San, PuraSan, or any other Type I or Type II MSD. Follow manufacturers instructions to winterize all Type I and II MSDs.[/FONT]

What about a Marine Elegance fresh water macerating toilet? Thanks to you I installed installed one and I love it. Thank you

What about a Marine Elegance fresh water macerating toilet? Thanks to you I installed installed one and I love it. Thank you

Great head. We had one in our last boat and just ran antifreeze through the water system and ran water through the head until it came into the bowl. Then flushed about a gallon down to clean out the discharge hose of any fresh water.

[FONT=&quot]You'll find those instructions on page 3 of the "Installation, Operation and Maintenance Instructions (aka "owners manual) If you don't still have the one that came with your toilet, you can download one from here
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Raritan Marine Elegance Owners Manual [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]--Peggie[/FONT]

I don’t have the luxury to go south. We will own a 2001 mainship 390 on Monday. Located in CT.

Hoping to know roughly how much antifreeze I need for the two ac units, engine (single Cummins 330) and generator 8kv Koehler. Engine has loop to water heater.

Just the raw water. I plan to empty the water tank and blow out the water system with air. Will also run some though head to holding tank.

—Kevin

You did not mention draining the water heater. Also if there is a water filter, remove the element and clean out the housing.

If it were my boat and I was winterizing for the first time I'd buy 2 cases (12 gallons) cause you probably won't be efficient and you can always keep the leftovers for next year.
And you might also have to use a shop vac and suck out the sea strainers depending on how you winterize.

If boat will pulled and stored on the hard be sure to reopen sea cock valves to drain the valve cavity once ashore.
If you have windshield washers need to winterize them as well.
If your water heater doesn't have a bypass they are EZ to find in a RV/boat supply. Same for a winterizing kit (3way valve & short hose. These make subsequent years winterizing much easier

what about the ENGINE

Thanks. I have done heads and fresh water systems for over 30 years on various boats.

The main question was:

"Hoping to know roughly how much antifreeze I need for the two ac units, engine (single Cummins 330) and generator 8kv Koehler. Engine has loop to water heater."

--Kevin

—Kevin
See Attached winterization remember to use Green in the engine not pink Plumbing

Attachments

• Winterization Cartouche.pdf
    69.2 KB · Views: 43
Thanks looks very complete.

Can you say what “green” antifreeze is for the raw water side? Ive always just used the -50 potable stuff. Never an issue in 30 years

Thanks looks very complete.

Can you say what “green” antifreeze is for the raw water side? Ive always just used the -50 potable stuff. Never an issue in 30 years
Had a great education on Antifreeze when I bought Cartouche I had been using the pink in Sailboats for the last 30 plus years, however the pink does not have any of the same ingredients found in the green for engines it has no internal inhibiters, however it is great for burst resistance in a plumbing system but does not provide the coatings needed for a very expensive engine to sit for 6 months. to me it made total sense to spend the increased cost of the Green, also the green can be read with a cheap Anti freeze tester the pink does not give a reading. (after about 10jugs I catch the exhaust in a cup and measure the degree of protection.

OK, but "Green" isn't a product name or even a description of the antifreeze type. And I can't just drop ethylene glycol on the ground when commissioning in the spring.

I am looking for product ID, not color.

--Kevin

I I had a boat in the northern part of Chesapeake (NE) for over 18 years. I used to pump in x5 gal of pink stuff in each engine, x2 gals in Genny, x2 gals in both ACs (single pump), x1 gal in the head (after a good pump out), x3 gals in fresh water tank (on empty) to run pink stuff in all the system, water heater drained (using a bypass/allow some of antifreeze in heater there after). All my systems are done in the water with Seacocks closed (until the boat is hauled out), the engines were done after the boat is out off the water then all seacocks (all systems) are left open over the winter. The cost of antifreeze is a lot cheaper than any damage that Mr.frost can cause.
Good luck,

Back
Top Bottom