Windshield wiper arm does not park

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rgano

Guru
Vessel Name
FROLIC
Vessel Make
Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
My 1972 Grand Banks had pretty basic wipers which stopped wherever they were when I pushed the stop button - no fly-back to the park position like your car has. I thus did not think too much about it when the same behavior manifested itself on my 30 Pilot. However, talking with eight other 30 Pilot owners, I found their wipers (AFI Marinco) move to the park position after the rocker switch is pushed to stop. Yesterday, I pulled the port motor and found that factory had neglected to run the wiring necessary to effect the parking feature. Not the first commissioning error I have found over the years. If you have the park feature on a wiper motor, installing a small circuit card to effect intermittent wiping is possible, a desirable feature on a boat.

I didn't go as far as intermittent wiping on mine (and I didn't feel the need to wire the high speed on my wipers). But I did use a switch with a momentary position. So up is on, center is off, down is a momentary on (to use for a wipe once) for each wiper. Intermittent may be something to add later though.

This boat manages to get saltwater on the windshield in the lightest of crosswinds with maddening frequency insufficient to lubricate the wipers on continuous sweep, and I spent much too much time bouncing along at 16-18 knots not seeing what was ahead very well while reaching for the wiper rocker switch for a single sweep. A couple of years back I figured out a way to install a small circuit board allowing for selectable timing between sweeps on the wiper in front of the helm, but because of the wiring installation error, a toggle switch was required to get 12V where it was needed, and the arm did not park after each momentary sweep. With the correction of the wiring, I'll have a properly functioning, safer wiper system.

Back
Top Bottom