Prop reconditioning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roger L

Veteran Member
I have twin screw one prop has a minor bend in one blade , I will have it reconditioned. Any reason why I should have the other prop done as well even if it looks fine.. I prefer not to double the cost.

I have twin screw one prop has a minor bend in one blade , I will have it reconditioned. Any reason why I should have the other prop done as well even if it looks fine.. I prefer not to double the cost.
Many prop shops will put it on their computer to analyze it at no charge.
They then provide cost $ for any required work. The advantage is that you know they are balanced and you/ they have a baseline for future reference.
When I bought our boat it was removed for transport and off season when arrived. I took advantage of time to have the analysis done. Report was everything OK and I paid to have the shop polish it up was all.

Even if a prop looks good it can be way out of proper shape. I took the ones off our last boat in for a check and found that even though they looked fine each prop had one blade that was out of pitch over an inch. They reconditioned them and the boat ran noticeably smoother and less vibration. If you are taking one in I would take both in. They didn’t charge to check them, just for the work done after the check.

I bent one on a telephone pole sized log, so when I took it in for straightening, I took the undamaged prop in with it. The report, when I got it back, said that the undamaged one had been in worse shape than the damaged one, though I couldn't see anything wrong by eye.
Take both in.

Best to do both at once so they are tuned exact. Could be the Undamaged one is fine but I’ve seen where we did one and then had a weird vibration that never occurred before. Weird I know but doing both at once at least you hauled it out one time.

Back
Top Bottom