Old 08-02-2021, 07:14 PM   #21
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: Wandering Star
Vessel Model: psn40
It rained Sunday but we washed the boat with cleaner to remove the brown ICW mustache. I played with the buffer a little today but it's going to still take a lot of elbow grease to make the hull shine much.
The 2 areas midships and aft are where the giant ball fenders we have on the dock rub the hull (We don't have a traditional slip with spring pilings. It just lays on the face of the "L" at the end of the dock). I guess I ought to get some fender covers made.
Attached Thumbnails
102_0154.jpg  
Old 08-05-2021, 09:40 PM   #22
Guru

City: Owings, Md
Vessel Name: Graceland
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1
How is the project going? Best of luck.
Gdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 05:19 AM   #23
Guru

I'm going to jump back on the boat this upcoming weekend. My plan is to get the new thru-hull installed & the engine room cleaned & painted. I'm loosing my helper Sunday because school starts up again so Liz lives at our house in SC where her district is & I stay here. We commute on a lot of weekends, which kills our spare time. Since "retiring" after I sold my business, I went back to work full time until Liz retires from her teaching career in a couple of years (hopefully!). It was a whole bunch easier getting projects done when I was self employed and could take off whenever I needed and as long as I needed!
I'll report back with my anticipated progress!
Old 08-06-2021, 06:48 AM   #24
Guru

With the engine out it's also a good time to re-plumb the domestic water system if it has not already been done. Pex or pvc, and make it so you can drain it for winter.
Might be time for new fuel hoses/tubing as well.
Looking good.

New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 04:47 PM   #25
Guru

I went to the boat today but yesterday was a wash. Literally, since it rained all day & we just stayed home, read & drank wine!
I was anticipating the engine raw water seacock removal to be a SOB since it probably hasn't been touched since it was installed 43 years ago. Luckily for me, I was able to disassemble the whole thing with nothing but a large pair of channel lock pliers which was extra lucky since I forgot to bring the pipe wrench I thought I was going to be needing. It probably also helped that the boat has spent most of her life in the brackish waters of the upper Chesapeake & Potomac.
The strainer stabilizing bolt was completely deteriorated yet the actual through hull was in ok condition. It wasn't leaking but it was bedded in something that looked like roof tar. The main reason I'm replacing it ,other than the completely unorthodox/incorrect way the seacock was mounted to the through hull, is that the existing seacock was hard to open & close since the rubber cone was distorted.
I also gave the bilge a good scrubbing and vacuuming with a wet/dry vac & it'll get a fresh coat of paint before the engine goes back in.
The pic below shows the infamous Mainship seacock mounting. I would shake my head every time I looked at it!
Attached Thumbnails
102_0201.jpg  
Old 08-08-2021, 04:53 PM   #26
Guru

The whole assembly was really easy to get apart! I was amazed! I was also amazed that it wasn't leaking. The lone strainer bolt wasn't doing much good.
Attached Thumbnails
102_0202.jpg   102_0203.jpg   102_0204.jpg   102_0205.jpg  
Old 08-08-2021, 04:58 PM   #27
Guru

Again, it was a rarity that this stuff came apart with ease after 43 years. I guarantee the one I put in won't be as easy to come out in 2064.
Attached Thumbnails
102_0206.jpg   102_0207.jpg   102_0208.jpg   102_0209.jpg  
Old 08-08-2021, 05:16 PM   #28
Guru

When I was in business for myself, every time I would get a good cutout from an instrument or speaker install, I would keep it. Everyone would ask me what I was doing with a string of fiberglass donuts. Well, here's one of the uses! I found 2 6" speaker cutouts, which were perfect for the Perko seacock flange, and laminated them together to make a backing block 1/2" thick.
I had to enlarge the hole in the hull from the cutout for an 1 1/4" through hull to accommodate the new 1 1/2" one.
I drilled and tapped the backing plate for the new flange, ground and leveled the bilge for where the plate sits and epoxied the plate in.
Attached Thumbnails
102_0196.jpg   102_0210.jpg   102_0213.jpg   102_0217.jpg   102_0215.jpg  

102_0214.jpg   102_0216.jpg   102_0218.jpg  
Old 08-08-2021, 05:28 PM   #29
Guru

When the epoxy kicks and when I get time,maybe sometime this week, I'll back out the piece of pipe I have in there to keep everything lined up and screw in the new through hull...after I cut it to the correct length, UNLIKE Mainship did. At least I hope I'll be able to back the pipe out! The yellow tape is so hopefully the little bit of excess epoxy will stick to the tape & wont stick to the pipe!
I'll also add the strainer scoop. The hull is 1/2"+ thick in that area so I'll be real careful with a marked drill bit and fasten it with 3M 5200 adhesive/sealant & some stainless self-tapping screws.
Attached Thumbnails
102_0220.jpg  
Old 08-08-2021, 05:44 PM   #30
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Below the water I like to use bronze hardware because S/S can get crevice corrosion. Work looks great so far.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 12:45 PM   #31
Guru

Nice progress, i like the repurposed fiberglass as a backing plate
Old 08-09-2021, 04:09 PM   #32
Guru

City: South Florida
I will second this. 40 year old copper tubing and valves are a failure waiting to happen. Easy sit down work with the engine out

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
Might be time for new fuel hoses/tubing as well.
Keysdisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 05:45 PM   #33
Guru

I upgraded the fuel system a couple years ago. What I need to do is fill the old screw holes & repaint the bulkhead!
Attached Thumbnails
100_2749 (3).jpg  
Old 08-11-2021, 05:14 AM   #34
Guru

Perkins cooling system

I thought I noticed the temperature creeping up a little higher than normal but I just thought it was time for a raw water pump impeller replacement. I guess I thought wrong! What looked to me ,from the pictures sent to me by the engine tech I was fortunate to get, to be a piece of plastic bag was actually a slimy gel as a consequence of years of antifreeze and the aluminum expansion tank. He also found that the rebuilt circulating pump that I replaced 4-5 years/3-400 hours ago had a slight coolant drip from the weep hole in the pump casting. While I wasn't seeing an appreciable loss in the tank , it wasn't going to get any better!
I suppose that's one way to tell the difference between a mechanic and a technician. While our engine was out to replace the leaking oil seals , this technician took the time to scrutinize the entire engine and not just focus on doing the tasks that I requested (he called/texted me first to get the go-ahead for the repairs that I wasn't expecting). He ,no doubt, saved us a headache or 2 down the road. Or waterway, as it is in this case.
Attached Thumbnails
2021080995131607.jpg   2021080995131611.jpg  
Old 08-11-2021, 09:19 AM   #35

City: Solomons MD.
Vessel Name: Sun Runner
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 34 Trawler MK III
That's scary. Always seems the deeper you go the more you find to do..
Never ends is never truer.
Solly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 11:07 AM   #36
Guru

Mine was pretty slimy there as well, on the coolant side when I replaced my expansion tank. It was that bad but sefinely slimy. There was a black mud or slime like buildup on the bottom of the tank too. I would have expected it to be oil sludge but it was heavier than coolant.

What temps were you seeing?
Old 08-11-2021, 11:50 AM   #37
Guru

I've not verified the accuracy of the gauges but they show 165ļ until I run a sustained cruise above 1850 or above for any length of time and then the temp starts rising, which is a recent phenomenon. I feel this will cure the issue but as long as the engine is out of the boat & in front of me, I'm going to replace the impeller anyway. It's on it's 2nd year.
Old 08-11-2021, 12:13 PM   #38
TF Site Team

When we had the engines out of our last boat I went ahead and replaced the transmission damper, transmission oil cooler and rebuilt the water pumps just in case. So you are on the right path because it will never be easier to work on the engine that while it is out. Keep up the good work and photos.
Old 08-11-2021, 01:15 PM   #39
Guru

I'm on the fence with the dual engine/clutch oil cooler. It's 43 years old but like I mentioned earlier, the boat has spent most of her life in brackish water so the exposed metals really aren't that bad, considering. I'm going to round up some fittings and do a pressure test on it & decide then. If I can get by without spending $375 on a new cooler, I'd be ok with that.
I ,most of the time, keep a little digital camera with me when I'm doing these projects to document them with photos. Most of the time, it's not hard to snap a few pictures while the work is progressing. It's interesting for me to see what projects other folks are doing so I try to reciprocate.
Old 08-11-2021, 05:11 PM   #40
TF Site Team

The transmission oil coolers for the Lehmans were only about $150. I guess that was a good deal???